HKS Super Hybrid Filter (drop-in)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS Super Hybrid Filter (drop-in)

This came in the mail today:

HKS Super Hybrid Filter (drop-in)-4885_1.jpg

I can't say for sure that the car drives any different, but you can definitely hear the BPV a lot more.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that's pretty much about it... I got the K&N one instead and thought of getting one of those to complete my HKS mods; but I'll just dump the K&N and get AMS intake to see some real power gains...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

How is the quality of the filter? I've seen in some pictures you have to put it together yourself (like its a plastic frame and foam and you assemble it???)

I'm debating between the HKS and the ITG...the ITG ProFilter has a great reputation, is oil-permeated three-layered foam as opposed to dry foam (so it catches more dust) and never needs to be replaced or cleaned (the panels are the only ones that don't need cleaning, cones require regular maintenance).

Coming from the Euro world, the ITG's have a long-standing reputation but if the HKS will cut it, I can save about 60 cdn....
Old Aug 14, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

There is no assembly required...just open the box and install. The plastic housing of the filter certainly seems cheaper than OEM (for instance, it doesn't have a rubber edge on the turbo side to make a sure seal, but it fits snug so I don't expect it to be an issue).

I held both filters up to the sun to compare - the OEM (paper filter) let light through, but there were no visible pinholes of light. The HKS (foam filter) let the same amount of light through, but I saw a couple scattered tiny pinholes of light. Again, I'm not terribly concerned.

Originally Posted by majinfajita
How is the quality of the filter? I've seen in some pictures you have to put it together yourself (like its a plastic frame and foam and you assemble it???)

I'm debating between the HKS and the ITG...the ITG ProFilter has a great reputation, is oil-permeated three-layered foam as opposed to dry foam (so it catches more dust) and never needs to be replaced or cleaned (the panels are the only ones that don't need cleaning, cones require regular maintenance).

Coming from the Euro world, the ITG's have a long-standing reputation but if the HKS will cut it, I can save about 60 cdn....
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

my mpg went up when i put in this hks filter
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so it's not just me...I know the dash MPG display isn't terribly accurate but I *swear* it was one notch higher at my normal cruising speed....
Old Aug 14, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

did you put the snorkel back on?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jestr71
did you put the snorkel back on?
I did...I don't imagine it makes much of a difference other than slightly cooler air
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:01 PM

I just put the K&N drop-in yesterday and can vouch with velocityhead on being able to hear the BOV more. However, I can hear turbo spooling and the engine sounds more "throatier" (if that's even a real word). I drive 50 miles to work and 50 miles back every day, and instantly saw MPG gains around 5-8 mpg (according to the LCD "AVG" gauge). My car also pulls more on the launch and I had a few flashbacks of test drive day.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:32 PM

can't wait to get the filter in, how long does the HKS filter last? I know a K&N will last a lifetime but not sure on the HKS and other dry filters,

thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not exactly sure what it says on the HKS packaging because it's all in Japanese

I imagine you can blow them out with compressed air from the backside to clean them...I figure I'll replace mine around 50k
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I was debating putting in a K&N filter as it is easy to get it off Amazon dot com.