Notices
View Poll Results: TurboXS or Ultimate Racing
TurboXS 3" downpipe
16.67%
Ultimate Racing 3" downpipe
83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Down Pipe In my Future. Opinions Poll. UR or TSX ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down Pipe In my Future. Opinions Poll. UR or TSX ?

Ok 2010 RalliArt with GST base map and K&N Panel Filter.
About to add the Boost pill and coresponding GST +Pill Map.

Getting a Down pipe for father's day and I'm trying to decide between either the TurboXS or the Ultimate Racing.

Both seem V E R Y similar and much searching has produced nearly the same info on both. Also see a lot of people on here with both equally represented.

I want to add on and eventually upgrade the entire exhaust system. I also want to run a UWEGO soon, both have an option for the extra bung (xtra$too).

Input please? Which do you recomend and why?

Last edited by LRA_Joe; Jun 8, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

As you can see already from the votes, Turbo XS is not highly regarded. I've never been impressed with any of their parts, and it just feels like cheap knock offs most of the time. However, you might be better off getting a high flow cat or test pipe instead of upgrading just the down pipe. I've read and seen the dyno sheets from CP-E, and only upgrading the down pipe yields no gains on the rollers. This makes sense as the choke point in the stock exhaust is the cat. Best gains will come from a test pipe if you are only going to upgrade one thing. The down pipe should be the last thing you upgrade from your exhaust IMO.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:27 PM

Well. I'm definitely seeing the trend as to which one everyone likes. However I'm confused concerned about the statement that the dp would not net very good gains and be really the last part of the exhaust system to replace.

The reason I was planning on doing the dp first was so that I could start data logging with a UWEGO ASAP. Also both companies make the same claims of 15 hp over stock. Also, turboxs used to have a great reputation. Also confused about why IYO it wouldnt be one of the first pieces to replace. The improved throttle and turbo response would definitely help with my RT's and 0 to 60 times.

I was bummed (in both instances) to see that the extra o2 bungs were an extra cost as they are pictured, and I read about the proper placement and everything.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

I was also told that the dp is not going to produce any hp. Im changing to a hfc just to be legal that would probably be the best thing for you to do too.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 05:39 AM

I have the whole UR turbo back and love it. I have a friend who got the TurboXS because it was cheaper and when we put mine on, he said that he wished he had saved his money and gone with the UR because it was better quality. The HFC would be your best bet to start with. Trying to log some runs before you have the full setup really isn't all that useful if you're just going to finish the exhaust. You might as well put your time and money into the exhaust and then worry about getting a wideband. Here is a quick test that you could do. Take a normal straw and put your hand at one and then blow and feel the air come out. Then take a straw say from mcdonalds where the opening is wider and now repeat this test and feel how much more airflow there is. Then with that second straw pinch it in this middle, not so much as to not allow any air to come through, but enough to make the middle smaller than the rest. That is what is happening with your exhaust. You stock cat is restricting how much is allowed to exit so increasing the dp still isn't going to do a whole lot until you widen the most restrictive part.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:32 AM

I understand the concept behind the exhaust system. The dp has the first catalytic convert (from what I read) if all I did was replace the regular cat. with a hfc or test-pipe the dp would still have restriction in it. I think i didnt explain myself properly. I want to run a UWEGO ASAP not for the exhaust system, but for other datalogging and tuning purposes (intake system, bpv, ic, etc). But you cant do any effective logging without a wideband.

Both companies said the dp alone is good for 15 hp. I'll most likely add the test pipe too.
Basic plan:
1. Down pipe
2. Wideband
3. Intake And ic piping
Datalogging and tuning (with the mitsu logger and my Tactrix)
4. Test pipe
5. Mid pipe
6. Remaining exhaust.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LRA_Joe
I understand the concept behind the exhaust system. The dp has the first catalytic convert (from what I read) if all I did was replace the regular cat. with a hfc or test-pipe the dp would still have restriction in it. I think i didnt explain myself properly. I want to run a UWEGO ASAP not for the exhaust system, but for other datalogging and tuning purposes (intake system, bpv, ic, etc). But you cant do any effective logging without a wideband.

Both companies said the dp alone is good for 15 hp. I'll most likely add the test pipe too.
Basic plan:
1. Down pipe
2. Wideband
3. Intake And ic piping
Datalogging and tuning (with the mitsu logger and my Tactrix)
4. Test pipe
5. Mid pipe
6. Remaining exhaust.
Whatever you are reading is wrong, no cat in the downpipe at all. The factory Downpipe bolts to the factory cat. Cheapest power mod is going to be ditching the cat plain and simple. The stock RA turbo is so small that I did not notice ANY gains from doing the catback after doing the testpipe.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

idk why you think the DP is such a huge upgrade that's worth doing first, esp on the dinky stock RA turbo

HFC is a nice upgrade, but I'm a bigger fan of bryan's basemap and saving for an X turbo swap. bolt-ons just don't put out as much gains as they do for the X with how small the turbo is, might as well just save the money and use the basemap

just my 2cents from my experiences
Old Jun 9, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

i think he is looking for the DP first because he wants to install a Wideband??
not sure...
personally im not a big fan of UR (unlike many of you here) ... mostly because the welds on their parts
*flame suite on*
Ive seen someone on another forum with a cracked UICP caused by the vibration (and/or bad part)... BUT the part was replaced for free since it comes with 5 years warranty...
quite impressive customer service..
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally not a huge UR fan here either, but I would choose them over TXS; and their long dp does have me interested.

That being said, OP, unless you are doing a full turbo-back exhaust and would like to tackle it all at once for ease of access and whatnot, I highly recommend you look elsewhere rather than wasting money on a downpipe upgrade only.

Even AMS (the company manufacturing their own part who you would think would want to sell said parts) tested their short version downpipe (not the o2 version) on their car and it yielded literally no feasable gains by itself. And guess what, they announced that publicly! Now that's customer service.

The downpipe is the least restriction in your system so even if you open it up, the #1 restriction (catalyst) is still in the way so the exhaust is still going to slam into that same brick wall on its way out.

If you go with a full turbo-back exhaust option, or even a downpipe/cat delete combo, then with a tune you will probably squeeze an extra couple ponies out specifically because of the downpipe, but it will be minimal at best.

If you are looking for a decent power adder that will give you logging options as well, I recommend you look into a test pipe or high-flow catalyst from somewhere like AMS or CP-E that offers the option of having a second O2 bung welded in for wideband mounting while yielding much more power than a downpipe.

Good luck!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:33 PM

turbo xs ftw!!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

personally im not a big fan of UR (unlike many of you here) ... mostly because the welds on their parts
I'd have to agree with you on that one.

OP,
Go with something similiar to the cp-e hfc/tp (thats what I've been using). As chi already mentioned, they can come with an extra bung welded in, and I've been using that for my WB with 0 problems (using the rear o2 patch/delete )

Last edited by sstevojr; Jun 9, 2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
Whatever you are reading is wrong, no cat in the downpipe at all. The factory Downpipe bolts to the factory cat. Cheapest power mod is going to be ditching the cat plain and simple. The stock RA turbo is so small that I did not notice ANY gains from doing the catback after doing the testpipe.
Well we've got a problem then. We are being directly lied to. These guys were always considered very reputable in the DSM community. Check this out and you'll all understand what I'm getting confused by.
This is copied directly off of the Turbo XS website.

MORE INFO
The Lancer Ralliart Front Pipe was designed to remove the 1st catalytic converter. This will free up the majority of your horsepower gains. Simply installing this bolt on part you will see a gain of 15+whp. As an additional upgrade we offer the ability to use our 2nd o2 sensor bung for your wideband 02 sensor.

I was researching the mitsulogger software and read about the best most accurate way to use the data logging is with using an ultra wide band mounted in the down pipe at 3 o'clock. Not in the test pipe.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LRA_Joe
Well we've got a problem then. We are being directly lied to. These guys were always considered very reputable in the DSM community. Check this out and you'll all understand what I'm getting confused by.
This is copied directly off of the Turbo XS website.

MORE INFO
The Lancer Ralliart Front Pipe was designed to remove the 1st catalytic converter. This will free up the majority of your horsepower gains. Simply installing this bolt on part you will see a gain of 15+whp. As an additional upgrade we offer the ability to use our 2nd o2 sensor bung for your wideband 02 sensor.

I was researching the mitsulogger software and read about the best most accurate way to use the data logging is with using an ultra wide band mounted in the down pipe at 3 o'clock. Not in the test pipe.
No Cat:

I totally understand the frustration .. Ive been thru there as well. That's y we have community like EvoM =)
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:10 AM

Have a look at HKS Extension kit (O2 and downpipe) Now that is a work of art and priced accordingly

Quick Reply: Down Pipe In my Future. Opinions Poll. UR or TSX ?