Notices

Self tuning help... Confused...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Self tuning help... Confused...

Well, where to start, I've been doing a fair bit of research and thanks to the wealth of information available to the community I believe a have a decent enough understanding of the concepts involved in self tuning...

My problem however, is that my AFR's were quite rich, so i progressively raised them to achieve approximately 11.8 tapering to ~11.5/3. My WOT logs afterward showed that I was fairly accurate with my numbers (around 12 at peak boost and tapering to around 11.5). But checking before/after Virtual Dyno numbers shows that I actually lost power after leaning out, so I'm a little confused... I'm not encountering any knocksum value higher than the occasional 1 or 2 so i don't think it has to do with high/low octane interpolation...

Any help you guys can provide would be tremendously appreciated because I am a N00B at tuning...

A little insight into my setup:
3"UR Down-Pipe and HFC
UR Upper Intercooler Pipe
AMS Boost-Pill
GST Basemap v2.6 w/ Boost-pill
AEM UEGO with analog 0-5v output to pin 8

Last edited by ra_guy; Aug 9, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

are you sure you are doing a direct comparison on the virtual dyno? Same road, same temperature and humidity, same vd settings?

You can try pulling a couple degrees of timing and seeing if the power stays the same or drops a bit. then try adding a couple and see if it goes up or stays the same or starts to knock a bit.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

My experience with VD was that even the smallest variance in road surface (maybe a slight dip in the road), temp, humidity, barometric pressure, etc. can throw the numbers out. Look at your load values in Evoscan .
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:37 PM

same road section, compensated for baro pressure, temp, etc... Tried bumping up the timing a bit like 1-2* and aquired some knock around 4k... but according to the vd, with an incomplete run, i had about 300awt at the time of the knock? idk, I need a mentor lol... I suppose I could richen the mixture a bit and play with timing some more and see where I get from there, or maybe just pull some timing on the affected areas...
Eventually I'd like to get a pro-tune, but I'm really interested in getting a better understanding of all of this... I think if I had the opportunity to compare some results/changes between maps of modified tunes I'd get a little better understanding of how certain mods affect certain areas, right now i'm trying to compare stock to gst, but it's like apples to oranges on most things it seems...
Hopefully I'm not in over my head, because I would really like to get a complete grasp on all of this, but it seems that when I believe I understand something, it's not so...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

but it seems that when I believe I understand something, it's not so...
Exactly, the more i learn the more I don't know. These helped A LOT for wrapping my head around concepts:
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Tuni...d_bxgy_b_img_b

Haven't read yet, but looking forward to starting:

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Managem...3185511&sr=1-1

Of course these are for after getting a grasp on the basic concepts, can't jump straight to the deep end with this stuff

Last edited by sstevojr; Aug 12, 2011 at 05:48 PM.