Notices

Evo X BOV question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X BOV question

hey fellas, i'm looking at replacing my stock bov for an evo bov and had a few questions i'm hoping you guys can help me with:

1) does the sound make a big difference/more noticeable whoosh over the stock ra bov?

2) will it void my warranty if i install this?

i'm not looking to do any other engine mods aside from a drop in filter while i'm still under warranty. i'm just yearning for a more louder turbo whoosh making me feel fast and furious on my way to work, lol...

thanks
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by edsralliartsb
hey fellas, i'm looking at replacing my stock bov for an evo bov and had a few questions i'm hoping you guys can help me with:

1) does the sound make a big difference/more noticeable whoosh over the stock ra bov?

2) will it void my warranty if i install this?

i'm not looking to do any other engine mods aside from a drop in filter while i'm still under warranty. i'm just yearning for a more louder turbo whoosh making me feel fast and furious on my way to work, lol...

thanks
First off, Welcome to EvoM.net =)

1 - It will make a very slightly more noticeable Blow off "PPSSSHHH" when letting off the throttle in boost range. The drop in will help with the turbo spool sound. I am not sure if the drop in helps with extra Blow off sound as i had it installed before my X BOV.

2. It hypothetically shouldn't void the warranty unless it causes a problem. BUT ive heard alot of horror stories with people doing minor mods and getting denied a claim for warranty. So just make sure they don't see the new BOV. What i would do, is just keep the stock RA one, and when going in for work swap it back to stock. Takes 2 and a half minutes to swap both so its no big bother.

just so you know both of these questions could have been answered by using the search feature. New members should also check out all the stickied threads.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No, no, no, no.

Difference in sound will not be noticeable between stock and EvoX bpv if you are running the stock airbox unless you are an audiophile and already have a very keen ear.

You are in the US, so warranty will not void unless the replacement valve CAUSES something to break.

Do NOT swap out parts when going into the dealer. If you want to modify your car, be very informed of what you are doing and how it will affect/change your vehicle, then you can be properly prepared to deal with the consequences if any should arise. If there IS a problem with the valve, for instance, they will be able to identify it and deal with it or tell you to switch it back, but if you take it off, the problem may not even exist until you get it back home and swap it back and realize you have an issue or think the dealership techs are idiots because they didn't notice your modified car had an issue, even though your returned-to-stock car may not.

The other problem comes when they see cars put "back-to-stock" and if it is a knowledgeable technician, he will know that it's "back-to-stock" and not actually stock. This will create more of an issue as they will then be wondering and trying to determine what else has been modified to the vehicle that may cause the issue, which could then prompt them to be more hasty to deny a claim.

Be upfront and honest with your dealership about your plans before modifying and get their opinion/input before doing anything. That will give you an idea of their general feelings towards mods and you can use that knowledge accordingly. There are a few dealerships in CA (South-Coast being the first that comes to mind) that are actually very mod-friendly, so it's worth talking with them about it before trying to be sneaky and make more work for yourself.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

agreed, no sound difference between the different by passes, but i would suggest getting an hks drop-in for a very, very, slight sound increase which is tasteful and will only attract the attention of other gearheads and little children that like transformers.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I also see 'crushed' X BOVs... Is this somethng to avoid (i don't want an over-boost condition) or is a stock RA turbo too small to 'over boost'?

Also, are the EVO 8/9 metal BOVs a drop in upgrade for us as well?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

there's nothing wrong with a crushed EvoX BPV. I have one on my RA. The "crush" isn't very much, and it only helps to reduce the likelihood of it leaking under pressure.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Veronica
I also see 'crushed' X BOVs... Is this somethng to avoid (i don't want an over-boost condition) or is a stock RA turbo too small to 'over boost'?

Also, are the EVO 8/9 metal BOVs a drop in upgrade for us as well?
I remember a thread where someone bought an evo 8 BPV and it didnt fit on the RA, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by bossssman38
I remember a thread where someone bought an evo 8 BPV and it didnt fit on the RA, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
The Evo 8 metal bov has the nipple clocked to the other side compared to the Evo 10 metal bov.

That said, it still works, you just need longer vacuum line. I'm running a Evo 8 metal BOV on my RA.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
The Evo 8 metal bov has the nipple clocked to the other side compared to the Evo 10 metal bov.

That said, it still works, you just need longer vacuum line. I'm running a Evo 8 metal BOV on my RA.
I have an Evo BPV, and if I pop the hood and I'm stading in front of the car looking in at the engine bay, the "nipple" on mine faces the "10 O-Clock" postion using the analogy of the hour hand on a clock. Sooo, which BPV do I have then(Evo 8/9 or 10)? I bought mine slightly used from CBRD and I'm not using a longer vacuum line, but should I be with this configuration?

Last edited by Slee256; Mar 27, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Slee256
I have an Evo BPV, and if I pop the hood and I'm stading in front of the car looking in at the engine bay, the "nipple" on mine faces the "8 O-Clock" postion using the analogy of the hour hand on a clock. Sooo, which BPV do I have then(Evo 8/9 or 10)? I bought mine slightly used from CBRD and I'm not using a longer vacuum line, but should I be with this configuration?
This is how the Evo 8/9 Metal BOV looks:

Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
This is how the Evo 8/9 Metal BOV looks:

Hmmm, mine doesn't look anything like that. You must have reconfigured your engine bay a bit. My BPV is sitting "upright" with the serial number stamp facing upwards(towards the hood). Yours is laying on it's side and is located much further "back" in the engine bay(closer to the turbo).
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:53 PM

thats a X engine bay.. thats why the BOV is in a diff spot..

if the little hose runs tight after doing the evo X bov? try running the little hose underneath the electrical wire its currently sitting on top of, also you can push the bov down slightly inot the rubber hose a bit..
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

It's not an X engine bay, it's from a RASB (razorlab's).
Bryan, what boost source are you using for the nipple? Lately I've noticed the BPV vents too easily from light throttle (must be building boost too easily, lol). Wondering if there is a different reference source I can use??
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

eh... that's a Ralliart engine bay with an EvoX UICP and BPV piping.

I can't imagine anyone with an EvoX swapping their strut tower bar for the one we use in a RA...

The EvoX has a 3 point front strut tower bar that connects the strut towers each other and to the firewall...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Slee256
Hmmm, mine doesn't look anything like that. You must have reconfigured your engine bay a bit. My BPV is sitting "upright" with the serial number stamp facing upwards(towards the hood). Yours is laying on it's side and is located much further "back" in the engine bay(closer to the turbo).
It's my RA with Evo 10 UICP, Evo 10 BOV tubing and Evo 10 AEM intake.

Originally Posted by sstevojr
It's not an X engine bay, it's from a RASB (razorlab's).
Bryan, what boost source are you using for the nipple? Lately I've noticed the BPV vents too easily from light throttle (must be building boost too easily, lol). Wondering if there is a different reference source I can use??
Same as OEM.

Quick Reply: Evo X BOV question