Notices

turbo upgrad ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo upgrad ?'s

Hey again.
Well im finally bored with my, i currently have a tbe, boostpill, evox FMIC LICP, UR UICP, works drop in and im tuned by golden. Ive pretty much had this set up since i got the car.

Now im wondering whats next for more power, maybe a sri or cai and gm 3port? I would like to maybe do a turbo swap but because im still new to turbo cars im wondering if there is other options than an x swap to where i can just get a turbo for the RA and i dont have to swap out all the other necessary parts that are needed for an x swap. Or is the x swap the only logical swap for a bit more power. Keep in mind this is my dd and i dont want to go all crazy with like an fp red or something.

Thanks guys
Old Jun 9, 2012, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Check out the Evo X turbo swap thread here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...arts-list.html

If you are looking for more power it is the most logical step IMO, many of the RA guys do the swap, I'm sure they will chime in.

BTW, I just traded in my RA and never got the chance to do the swap. I have a turbo, manifold, and a few other bits if you are interested. I will be posting a FS thread tomorrow, once I get pics taken.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
Check out the Evo X turbo swap thread here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...arts-list.html

If you are looking for more power it is the most logical step IMO, many of the RA guys do the swap, I'm sure they will chime in.

BTW, I just traded in my RA and never got the chance to do the swap. I have a turbo, manifold, and a few other bits if you are interested. I will be posting a FS thread tomorrow, once I get pics taken.
Thnaks for the insight, im sure this is what everyone is going to tell me haha. As for yours parts the offer is appreciated but i have a guy locally that will sell me his evox turbo, injectors, and a t1r o2 downpipe for 500$.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rschaffer
Thnaks for the insight, im sure this is what everyone is going to tell me haha. As for yours parts the offer is appreciated but i have a guy locally that will sell me his evox turbo, injectors, and a t1r o2 downpipe for 500$.
Sounds like you've made up your mind. Good choice, I've heard it's one of the best upgrades you can do.

MAP offers an affordable turbo swap kit with all the bits and pieces, once you have all the major parts.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59085

Good luck with the swap!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

EF2, FP Green JB (BB is way overpriced), BBX Lite are good choices. I chose to go with EF2 due to krackas positive experience with his Evo X. Just waiting for my upgrade to be sent back from MAP. Stock Evo X turbo I think you will get bored with it after awhile.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
Sounds like you've made up your mind. Good choice, I've heard it's one of the best upgrades you can do.

MAP offers an affordable turbo swap kit with all the bits and pieces, once you have all the major parts.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59085

Good luck with the swap!
Thanks for that link i booked marked it when i first got my RA haha. Is there a how-to for the swap or is it pretty easy once you get into it. Im good with tools and doing my own mods but like i stated ive never done this sort of thing before. Doing an engine swap on my 78 nova was easy haha.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresomejunk
EF2, FP Green JB (BB is way overpriced), BBX Lite are good choices. I chose to go with EF2 due to krackas positive experience with his Evo X. Just waiting for my upgrade to be sent back from MAP. Stock Evo X turbo I think you will get bored with it after awhile.
Ya your probably right but by that time i think ill be content as ill have to buy something to accomodate my growing family
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by rschaffer
Hey again.
Well im finally bored with my, i currently have a tbe, boostpill, evox FMIC LICP, UR UICP, works drop in and im tuned by golden. Ive pretty much had this set up since i got the car.
rschaffer, what kind of numbers are you putting down with the setup you have now?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 210ralli
rschaffer, what kind of numbers are you putting down with the setup you have now?
Not sure. Cant get on a dyno unless i drive 1.5hrs which i might do soon. Ill do a pull and run it through virtual dyno and try to post it tomorrow night. Its def a lot quicker than stock and i had a pass of 13.2 at 104mph on the 1/4.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:30 AM

I would consider an X swap only because after looking through a million threads it seems the most logical for cost, drive-ability and the amount of power you can get out of it will push the transmission to its limit. I've also sent my X turbo out to be ported and polished to try and lower the spool RPM and thinking about porting the exhaust manifold for the same reason. Looking for the least amount of turbo lag and the widest power band to make it the best DD.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Just go with the CBRD Rad Lite.....direct bolt on for our Ralliarts with no other mods needed but a tune of course. This is the direction Im going.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jay10Ralliart
Just go with the CBRD Rad Lite.....direct bolt on for our Ralliarts with no other mods needed but a tune of course. This is the direction Im going.
Thats the route im going to go also, I know the evo turbo will make more power but RA SST cant handle it without upgrading. I dont want to go down that road too much money for me. I have never been able to find a solid answer of why the MR can handle more torque than the RA, i know its the same trans, but does it have different clutches or?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

The stock trans can handle more power that the Rad can produce. There are plently of RAs running around close to and over 400awhp on the stock trans. It all comes down to the tuner knowing what to do with the TCU.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 210ralli
Thats the route im going to go also, I know the evo turbo will make more power but RA SST cant handle it without upgrading. I dont want to go down that road too much money for me. I have never been able to find a solid answer of why the MR can handle more torque than the RA, i know its the same trans, but does it have different clutches or?
the Evo turbo won't make more power than the RAD turbo. At best an Evo Turbo can make the same amount of power. IIRC, the RAD turbo has higher flow capacity (can hold higher boost at redline), and therefore is able to deliver more power. Mind you, it's not much more, but enough to make a difference.

UPGRADED Evo turbos will without a doubt make more power.

The only reason I can think of for the notion that the RA SST can't handle as much power as the MR SST is because of a lack of understanding how to properly tune the transmissions in the early days.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:50 AM

Well when i read others posts or signatures that have evo x turbo swaps, always say it was tuned a bit conservative for the SST. I also have read multiple times the the stock trans doesnt like over 350awt, so Im trying to get clarification.

Quick Reply: turbo upgrad ?'s