Notices

*Stock Turbo PSI Numbers*

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Stock Turbo PSI Numbers*

Not sure if anyone has posted a thread like this, I used the search bar and there was nuthin. So what I wanna know is what are some of you guy's highest reached PSI numbers that chose to stick with the stock turbo.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

there are threads about this.

But to answer your question it really depends on the fuel you will be running and if you have supporting mods. We need more infor on 'your' setup so we can give you best and most accurate advice.

I am at 25psi with my mods.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

^I think the OP means on a stock RA turbo.

On my Cobb AP I have seen 18.5 on a short burst but I have not been viewing this log to much I will keep an eye on it and Data log it and find out for sure.

I thought I saw something on max boost for a stock RA turbo is around 22-23 psi but don't quote me on this. I'm old and my memory aint what it used to be LOL

Last edited by RADriver; May 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by RADriver
^I think the OP means on a stock RA turbo.

On my Cobb AP I have seen 18.5 on a short burst but I have not been viewing this log to much I will keep an eye on it and Data log it and find out for sure.

I thought I saw something on max boost for a stock RA turbo is around 22-23 psi but don't quote me on this. I'm old and my memory aint what it used to be LOL
On my Cobb AP with a K&N Drop in I am hitting 20.5 with Stage 1 and Stock Maps...
Old May 14, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

i think Mitsubishi US Spec sheet (on their site) says 17.9 PSI.. too lazy to check now.. but u can go check it (its all the way in the bottom)
Old May 14, 2010, 11:19 PM
Account Disabled

i hit 23-24 regularly and taper to 17-18
Old May 15, 2010, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

When I had mine AMS's stage 2 tune had me peaking around 22-23 psi at WOT.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am doing 25-27 on mine with ams tune for 110 octane.
Old May 15, 2010, 05:56 AM

i'm doing 24-25 psi but peaking at 26 pass that turbo is inefficient and turn free for nothing when you maxed out the td04 (stock turbo on RA) go on with an evo X upgrade or fp green upgrade...

and i'm running on pump gas 94 oct...
Old May 15, 2010, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by orange_rally
i'm doing 24-25 psi but peaking at 26 pass that turbo is inefficient and turn free for nothing when you maxed out the td04 (stock turbo on RA) go on with an evo X upgrade or fp green upgrade...

stock ralliart turbo is actually more of a tdo3.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by initial_d2k
i think Mitsubishi US Spec sheet (on their site) says 17.9 PSI.. too lazy to check now.. but u can go check it (its all the way in the bottom)

I know its 17.9, im just asking what boost numbers are ppl achieving with the stock turbo, I wanna see what is the highest boost someone has seen with the stock turbo... O and on 91 octane
Old May 15, 2010, 12:42 PM
Account Disabled

why does it matter? A spike is a spike. The turbo cant hold more then 17-18 at redline. Thats the question you should be asking.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by orange_rally

This is exactly what im gonna do, but just wanna see what the max PSI on the td04 is, then convert that to the evos turbos PSIspec and see the difference. So that i can see if the money spent on just tuning the stock turbo would be enough to just stick with. Cause obvious a td04 running 25pounds is a whole different than the Evo's turbo running 25pounds. What is the equivalence of a running a stock RA turbo versus a Evo stock PSI? (Example RA would be 17.9PSI and for it to achieve the stock evo would be something like 18.9PSI, so were the Stock Ralliart reach its limit and were the EVO reach its limit would there be a whole lot of differnce? ) I remember the other sportback on here up'd the boost by 1 PSI on the stock turbo and was running more power than a stock evo. ofcourse if u were to do that same exact thing with the EVO the the EVO would be on top again, but were would each cut off?

Last edited by 2010 Rallihead; May 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old May 15, 2010, 01:53 PM
Account Disabled

he was not running more power then a stock evo by upping his boost 1psi only. A tune carries alot more then just upping the boost and its becoming clear in your posts that you know very little about how boost relates to power.

Our turbo at 25 psi will make less power then the LARGER evo x turbo at 25 psi. A larger turbo can flow alot more air at the same pressure, which in turn allows for more fuel, a larger burn, which creates more power.

But no, upping our stock boost 1-2-3 -4 psi only will give us a bit more power, but not 40 whp to catch a stock gsr. If 1 psi = 40 whp, then that theory would mean our stock power would be 17.9x40. I wouldnt mind 720 whp but it seems slightly flawed doesnt it?

Read up on timing advancement, fuel trims, vavle timing and other stuff associated with a tune, it will help you drastically in learning more about your car.

As for max boost, ive told you many times, and in this thread, our turbo cant hold more then 17-18 psi at redline. an x turbo can hold 24-25 psi without a problem. Spike numbers means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ to an extent, yes. but the degree to which you taper also comes into play. i personally hit peak, not spike, peak at just over 22psi (around 3k rpm) and it tapers down to just above 18psi at redline (just over 7k rpm), so along that whole stretch of power band its above the 18psi level. and i know its not exactly linear, but in theory its a drop of about 1psi per 1k rpm, so roughly 1k rpm spent above 21, 20, 19, and 18psi consecutively. like i said, its not a linear number like that, but close enough. this is with bolt on mods including a boost pill and a tune, and for reference, gst's sportback without the boost pill tapers from 18 to 10 over the length of the gear

i personally am happy where i'm at with the stock turbo for the time being. the car is mostly a daily driver and goes maybe once or twice a month to the track, and i think at this point i'm more interested in making better use of the power i already have with more suspension/handling upgrades to maximize the car as it sits, since already i am overpowered to remain in control on an autox course at moderate speeds on throttle. once everything is finished and dialed in on the suspension and chassis, it'll be a force to be reckoned with, with just the power it has now

Quick Reply: *Stock Turbo PSI Numbers*