Notices

Cam and or crank sensor tests?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam and or crank sensor tests?

My mother's 09 ralliart threw two codes sometime in the last week or so she told me two days ago. So i immediately checked and found it to have p0011 and p0016. Could not find any idle or drivability issues and she said she didn't really have it act weird or anything as well. So I cleared them and yesterday afternoon it wouldn't start. Scanned it and it's showing p0300 and p0011. So now I'm unsure on whether it would be an crank or cam sensor issue. Since if u go by the first day of codes it would be cam, but with yesterday's crank but no start I would lean crank sensor. Upon searching for a few hrs last night I'm only coming up with sensor tests for older ralliarts. Can't seem to find the resistance values for the 09+ ralliart cam and cranks sensors.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Timing over advance on both cams. On a variable valve timing car is usually oil pressure related.

1 check for sludge build up

2 check oil level
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:06 AM

Oil is fine, but that wouldn't cause the crank no start out of no where
Old Jul 28, 2017, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

As 4b11slayer suggested earlier this is mainly a oil pressure problem.

If an oil control valve is stuck open it can cause rough running (misfiring) and the aforementioned codes. Possibly the crank no-start as well. If it were stuck closed it would set the codes with little to no running problems. Both P0011 and P0016 are for the intake camshaft, target error and phase problem respectively.

Pull the intake oil control valve check the hole for sludging or varnish on the valve itself. Apply power and ground to the OCV and you should be able to see the shaft move. As well as an audible click. You can do a coil resistance test as well 6.9-7.9 Ω @ 69 °F. An on car test you can do would be to unplug the connector and provide power and ground to the OCV. A working system will drag down the engine or stall it.

AFAIK Mitsubishi doesn't provide CKP and CMP sensor resistance values as the test is fairly useless unless the circuit is open (which would set a different code) and prefers you to test the sensors doing voltage drop tests or with an digital storage oscilloscope.

Worst case scenario the cam phasers are stuck or you have a oil pressure problem pre OCV.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 04:39 PM

So after talking with a mitisubishi tech he suggested popping the valve cover off and checking for chain stretch. Bingo, it as at or maybe a hair past the cast markings. Everyone says it's rare that it causes those codes before the chain stretch 0012 code. So now I'm tossing in the new timing set