Notices

How to raise the Stock Recaro seat.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just called Recaro Canada, they confirm that Grade 8 bolt is good to use. It is aircraft standard.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking about trying this. Anyone else try it of late?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by petro
I'm thinking about trying this. Anyone else try it of late?
What's to try? All you're doing is adding a spacer. Just use a spacer with an inner diameter that matches the bolt's diameter, and you should be fine unless the spacer is tall enough to prevent the bolt from threading properly.

I guess shearing may be a concern, but if you're serious, you could get it welded as mentioned.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by velocityhead
What's to try? All you're doing is adding a spacer. Just use a spacer with an inner diameter that matches the bolt's diameter, and you should be fine unless the spacer is tall enough to prevent the bolt from threading properly.

I guess shearing may be a concern, but if you're serious, you could get it welded as mentioned.

Ya shearing would be a concern, as I probably wouldn't weld them. I realize that people will not provide examples, as I'm sure the ones who have done it have not been in accidents. In addition, I guess I'm wondering how much you notice the difference after applying the spacers.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

ERgh, that does not look safe to me at all. Maybe a wider spacer....... but that dinky little thing cannot be safe at all.

Guys in a 50km/h collision your seat is coming right with you.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheNEWB
ERgh, that does not look safe to me at all. Maybe a wider spacer....... but that dinky little thing cannot be safe at all.

Guys in a 50km/h collision your seat is coming right with you.
+1

If I was to do something like that, I would take a solid and large enough piece of metal and drill it... I wouldn't use washers! And using a larger bolt would a good idea juste to compensate the extra lengthl...

This is the kind of setup that could get your insurances to refuse to cover your injuries in case of accident...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:37 PM

Wow just saw this and have to do this now. When I look to the sides only my head sticks out lol. I feel like a midget.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by zx-319
+1

If I was to do something like that, I would take a solid and large enough piece of metal and drill it... I wouldn't use washers! And using a larger bolt would a good idea juste to compensate the extra lengthl...

This is the kind of setup that could get your insurances to refuse to cover your injuries in case of accident...
I'm not sure I see what the issue is...this setup would be at least the same strength as when it was lower? He's not using washers to increase the height..it's a longer bolt.

Also, unless the seat belts are attached to the seat itself (which is NOT the case, they are bolted to the side of the car and the floor), the belt would keep you and the seat from going forward in a crash.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jepva
I'm not sure I see what the issue is...this setup would be at least the same strength as when it was lower? He's not using washers to increase the height..it's a longer bolt.

Also, unless the seat belts are attached to the seat itself (which is NOT the case, they are bolted to the side of the car and the floor), the belt would keep you and the seat from going forward in a crash.
Longer bolt does not lift anything, you need some sort of spacer and the larger the spacer is the more stable the setup is (that why I propose using a large piece of metal).

Also, if you didn't realise it, the seat belt is holding against the seat. If the bolts attaching the seat to the floor break, the seat WILL move back (you'll be pushed back by the air bags) thus render the seat belt totally useless and even potentially dangerous. Frontal collision is not the only type of accident you can get in.

And you don't only need a longer bolt but also a larger one. The longer the bolt is, the higher the stress you put on it.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:13 AM

Didn't realize the seatbelt was attached to the seat. In my GTI, it's actually seperate from the seat brackets and is bolted into the floor.

I'm looking into getting a RA sportback and I've read about this seat height issue being a problem, so just want to make sure there is a solution.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jepva
Didn't realize the seatbelt was attached to the seat. In my GTI, it's actually seperate from the seat brackets and is bolted into the floor.

I'm looking into getting a RA sportback and I've read about this seat height issue being a problem, so just want to make sure there is a solution.
Believe me for safety reasons this is not the right one.

Have you ever seen what a seat from one of these cars looks like in a crash............

go to a local junk jard. the seat flattens its self to the floor.

Those little spacer and bolts will only promote the seat in crushing you.

NEWB
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:01 PM

Nice write up! Or down
Old Mar 31, 2014, 05:25 PM

since the time the op has done this mod.. has anyone else tried this and what were the results?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
nice write up!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 04:13 PM

I'm going to have to try this on both seats. The passenger will be a tad higher since my gf is short and complains about not being able to see the road clearly...

Quick Reply: How to raise the Stock Recaro seat.