Notices

HOW TO: TPMS FIX with aftermarket / winter rims.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on this? I'm about to put on some aftermarket wheels but I also have a winter set. I would like to do this mod to get rid of the warning but the information seems to be conflicting. Can someone confirm?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TOralliart
Any updates on this? I'm about to put on some aftermarket wheels but I also have a winter set. I would like to do this mod to get rid of the warning but the information seems to be conflicting. Can someone confirm?
There is no really contradictory information - there is NO fix for this.

TheNEWB seems to only be postulating that is measures the difference in atmospheric vs. tire but looking at the sensor, there is no apparent way it can, and he/she has not posted whether or not he/she has actually tried it.

Looking at the sensor itself, the stem is literally hollow metal with nothing else (the sensor being only what's inside the rim) functioning as the antenna. It's likely motion activated/linked to the abs sensors like the ones in some Jeeps are (which is why the pipe bomb doesn't work for them either), but bottom line is there is no workaround at this point.

Live with the light, it's just reflex to hold the info button now to clear the display on startup and whenever a door is opened. Not a big deal and not worth worrying about.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:11 AM

One year later... Still working for those who claimed it does?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:37 PM

i had discount tire swap tpms sensors to my new rims for $50 i am not sure what the big deal is finding a bypass
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The thing works on movement.

So basically you'll have to by a small 4 bladed fan, I'd say about 6-8" in diameter.

Screw the tpms sensors onto the blades in the same orientation that they would be if they were mounted on the tire. Then secure the top of the armature shaft to a bearing. Put the entire thing into a round enclosure and seal the enclosure with a valve + gage on it

Pressurize the container to 35psi, turn the motor on, then start the car. The car should start receiving a transmission from the 4 sensors.

Or open up the sensor and try to wire it to transmit continuously. You'd probably want to then splice in like, a humongous battery since it'll always be transmitting. Or wire that up to a switch.

Last edited by xi; Oct 23, 2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by xi
The thing works on movement.

So basically you'll have to by a small 4 bladed fan, I'd say about 6-8" in diameter.

Screw the tpms sensors onto the blades in the same orientation that they would be if they were mounted on the tire. Then secure the top of the armature shaft to a bearing. Put the entire thing into a round enclosure and seal the enclosure with a valve + gage on it

Pressurize the container to 35psi, turn the motor on, then start the car. The car should start receiving a transmission from the 4 sensors.

Or open up the sensor and try to wire it to transmit continuously. You'd probably want to then splice in like, a humongous battery since it'll always be transmitting. Or wire that up to a switch.
How do you know that it runs off of movement?

Last edited by Sparx123; Nov 25, 2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
[QUOTE=Sparx123;9773092]How do you know that it runs off of movement?

Here's a nice writeup on TPMS that indicates it does indeed require motion to activate.
http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...rect_tpms.aspx

Otherwise the little sensor would be constantly transmitting and drain the batteries.

"On most systems, the signal is broadcast every 30 to 60 seconds when the vehicle is traveling faster than 12 to 15 mph."
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by matizzay
One year later... Still working for those who claimed it does?
It did not work for me. It must need rotation or something as well. I pressurized all 4 sensors, stuck them in the trunk and I still get the tpms warning on the dash.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:44 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparx123
How do you know that it runs off of movement?
Because... well, do we have confirmation that the pipe bomb works? (Aside from the OP)

Last edited by xi; Nov 27, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

So wait, the idea for this was that ONE tpms transponder in the car would fool FOUR tpms sensors located in the wheel-wells...or is there just one sensor that monitors the whole car? Seems kinda silly that this warning system would not be specific to the corner of the car where the low pressure tire is located. My wife's 7-year old Honda Pilot has a car pictogram and a warning light for each corner of the car so you know which tire is losing air. Just sayin'. Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Damn these tpms sensors! It wouldn't be so bad if you could at least have a 2nd set programed to the same car.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:59 PM

i had my snow tires on, new set of rims with the tpms sensors in the front and back seats. got about 40 miles before the light came on
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by volksjager
i had my snow tires on, new set of rims with the tpms sensors in the front and back seats. got about 40 miles before the light came on
No pressurized devices? Hrm, let you drive 40 miles with zero psi. nice mandatory safety feature.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by GAbOS
No pressurized devices? Hrm, let you drive 40 miles with zero psi. nice mandatory safety feature.
I didnt say it wasnt. New rims had stock summer tires and was pressurized.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by volksjager
I didnt say it wasnt. New rims had stock summer tires and was pressurized.
You didn't say you were either. Which is one to think first..

The point still stands. 40 miles?! I would have noticed before the first. If it's designed for idiots, than they would tend to ignore lights to begin with.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: TPMS FIX with aftermarket / winter rims.