Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Base Cal request for VIII, 3065, HKS 272, 1000cc, 5bar map

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VIII, 3065, HKS 272, 1000cc, 5bar - updated

the car is currently running on a map that looks absolutely nothing like the base Evo VIII calibration - not sure what strategy they were going for, Looking around in the AEM this map looks all wrong and I'm suprised it starts or runs at all. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has a base calibration for a Evo VIII with the following mods

BR3065 (early)
HKS 272
1000cc precision inj
5 bar map sensor

Just a good starting point would be helpful, if all else fails I start with the AEM basemap but it looks drasticallly different from what's on the car now and I would at least like to look at someone else's calibration just for comparison. Not looking for a finished map. Just something that will start the car and be tuned.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Aug 19, 2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Well I got into the ems on this car and was slightly shocked by what I found. The screenshot that I'm fixing to post could be titled "how not to tune your AEM". I can't believe that someone who calls themself a "professional tuner" could put a timing map that looks like this on a car. The bad news is before I even started creating a new tune for the car I compression tested it because it was smoking (owner told me turbo seals were bad) but cylinder 2 failed with 90psi, the other 3 have ~180psi. The owner had told me that the EGT's on the car were very high as well and that it was getting about 5mpg. Take a look at this.. Honestly I cant find any place on the map where it looks like it was tuned properly for a 4g63.

Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice race gas timing map
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm dont even think it would be safe with race gas to tell you the truth. 14+* @ peak torque and 30psi... I'm thinking not. I think the tuner read the AEM quick start and went off of those numbers listed there, that's what it looks like to me anyhow.. but even then it's a poor looking timing map IMO.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

I agree. Trying to be humerous about a bad situation If you need the car retuned I know of a couple good tuners in Texas
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone in Corpus / San Antonio that you would recommend? We are way down in South Texas. Honestly it will be up to the owner. The only AEM tuner that I've really heard great things about is Ivey and a few others but since the car is so far south I'm not sure the owner can afford to have it tuned by one of the well known tuners especially since it really isnt a "go big" setup. I wish he had the stock ECU and MAF, I'd pull the AEM out and tune it with ECU flash. I feel confident that I can tune it on the AEM to be safe but I might not be able to extract the most power out of it. There's no AWD dyno down here and I've heard the AEM knock control leaves alot to be desired (time to fab some det cans) but it's probably going to be a stock block (no slap) so maybe it will work ok. I'll see if I can use it. The Evo base cal looks very conservative so I think that will be a pretty decent starting point. only concerns right now are the 1000cc injectors and just a walbro and the 5 bar map sensor is a little much for this application. Probably could get better results with the 3.5 bar sensor.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Aug 20, 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

How far is 75088 from the car? I understand money is an issue but I am sure the owner doesnt want this to happen again. AEMPro isn't hard once you gain a bit of seat time and understand tuning. It took me a little bit to grasp AEMPro itself but after that everything was fine. Still tuning on it a few years later, now. The Knock Control is what it is. If setup properly it will work properly
Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alpha
How far is 75088 from the car? I understand money is an issue but I am sure the owner doesnt want this to happen again. AEMPro isn't hard once you gain a bit of seat time and understand tuning. It took me a little bit to grasp AEMPro itself but after that everything was fine. Still tuning on it a few years later, now. The Knock Control is what it is. If setup properly it will work properly
512 miles to 78539. probably too far. I have some experience tuning Evo's and I will be very conservative. I dont forsee any problems, although I may post some questions concerning sensor calibration, startup settings, etc. However I found a good article on here that should get me started. That combined with the manual and my prior experience should be enough.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Aug 20, 2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 07:44 AM

"official member" thanks dan for hooking me up.. picking up the car today to disassemble motor and replace pistons, rings and rods...any other ideas..?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

I'll give you a call.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
512 miles to 78539. probably too far. I have some experience tuning Evo's and I will be very conservative. I dont forsee any problems, although I may post some questions concerning sensor calibration, startup settings, etc. However I found a good article on here that should get me started. That combined with the manual and my prior experience should be enough.
Just keep in mind the first couple minutes of a new engine build are the most important Too rich or too lean could be detrimental. 512 miles is far If you all need any help away from the forums shoot me an e-mail

tuning@inductionperformance.com
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Good Point Alpha.. +1

Chris, maybe you ought to trailer it back from the rebuild or maybe we can tune it where it's being rebuilt... at least to get the idle and non boost areas of the map set.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:50 PM

hmmmm... point taken.. but remember its on the other side...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

I spoke with the owner of the car and told him that the map that's currently on the car isnt safe to even start the car and is the exact reason why this car has been through 3 engines. The person he bought the car from believes that this map was tuned by a "professional" tuner, and thinks I don't know anything since I'm not specifically an AEM tuner. So, I'm gonna post the entire map off of this car that was alledgedly tuned by a "professional". Those people that are competent AEM tuners please take a look and give me your thoughts. And for those that dont have AEM pro installed I'll post some screenshots of the fuel map since I've already posted the timing map above which should speak for itself.

Right Click and save as

http://www.rgvimports.com/pics/MrEvoIX/chrisbr3065.cal

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Aug 22, 2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Couple questions

1) How much boost was it tuned for?
2) On what octane gas?
3) Was it tuned on the 5-bar map sensor?

Some things that stand out

1) Fuel Cut Load 60.02 - Some prefer not to use this but ...
2) Internal Logging - This wasn't setup
3) O2 Sensor Feedback - Was this setup on accident? 12.5:1 target a:f through the whole table. 60.02 maximum load. 0 to 25000 RPM. 10.16 and -10.16
4) Same Air Temp Fuel Corr as the startup calibration (not ideal imo)
5) Boost Fuel Correct setup wrong
6) No Air Temp Ign Corr
7) A lot of ignition timing

My input. Take it for what its worth

Quick Reply: Base Cal request for VIII, 3065, HKS 272, 1000cc, 5bar map