Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM Infinity Installation

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
AEM Infinity Installation

Are there any special things that need done to run the AEM Infinity with the plug and play harness that I might not be thinking of. I've been really considering it for it's capabilities to help keep AFR and boost in check in varying conditions and flex fuel capability but am just curious if I would be getting into more than I'm thinking making the switch.

Some of my favorite drives range thousands of feet in elevation and along with that comes temperature changes so it seems the Infinity would be perfect for things like that right? Being able to setup a switch in the car to change target boost back to wastegate only for when really pushing the car for a period of time and trying to keep temperatures down seems very cool too.
Old May 3, 2016, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im also using the Infinity, haven't got the car running yet but I hear good things. Also interested in any info
Old May 4, 2016, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the infinity on my evo. I have had great success with it. I live in SoCal so not much in the way of alt changes. Target afr is very good. You can run the internal wb controller or use there x series wb which is the fastest on the market as far as response time. So as long as you have a well tuned car you should not have my issues.

I have a 12 position trim pot and that will let me control my boost from 14psi to 32psi with the turn of a knob so 420whp to 700whp.

I have road raced at Cali speedway 145mph on the nascar roval 20 min hot sessions and the infinity lived up to every expectation.

Hit me up if you have more questions.
Old May 4, 2016, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds awesome. I was hoping you would respond because I've read many of your posts on the Infinity.

So is it truly plug and play to get running with the Infinity aside from tuning and wiring in anything extra like second fuel pump or device for controlling boost?
Old May 4, 2016, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Infinity is a great ECU and major upgrade from the previous offerings. After I got my Infinity-6 with PnP harness installed, the car was drive-able in about 10 minutes but of course needed quite a bit of tuning because its very far from stock. I had a few small issues in the beginning getting used to the system, nothing that was a deal breaker, and AEM has made some base map updates from some findings.

All in all its hands down a great ECU and I'd have one in my X if it was PnP like it is on the 8/9 platform.
Old May 4, 2016, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for your review on the ECU itzwolf, although no one is directly answering the OP's question. Is the ECU Plug & Play or is there anything else that must be done, perhaps the MAP sensor, boost controller etc..
Old May 4, 2016, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Yes with the PNP harness you can plug it in and go, the only thing you are required to do is depin 2 pins from the IAC which is very easy, and can be reversed if the infinity is ever removed. It should take all of 2min to depin the 2 pins and wrap them correctly. The instructions outline it.

You will need to read and follow the instructions.

Evo 8:
http://aemelectronics.com/products/p...bishi-evo-viii

Evo 9:
http://aemelectronics.com/products/p...subishi-evo-ix
Old May 4, 2016, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Cool. Do you still set the base timing or whatever it's called like I've read or not need to do that? If you do need to is it pretty easy to do? I haven't really looked into it that much.
Old May 4, 2016, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Yes you will need to sync the ignition timing with the computer. This is a very easy process and only requires a timing light. If you are on the stock trigger plate you will most likely be very close. Aftermarket 12 tooth plates will require more adjustment.
Old May 5, 2016, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Cool. I appreciate all the info you've posted here and in other threads about the Infinity. Even though it's not really necessary I think I'm going to go for it. There are just so many extra features and advantages to it over stock ECU.
Old May 5, 2016, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Does anyone know If the car could be run off the stock ECU with the IAC de-pinned just to pass inspection 1 day per year? Or is re-pinning the IAC needed for the car to run with the stock ECU again.
Old May 5, 2016, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awhit17
Does anyone know If the car could be run off the stock ECU with the IAC de-pinned just to pass inspection 1 day per year? Or is re-pinning the IAC needed for the car to run with the stock ECU again.
If it's just pulling two pins like TheBoz said it should be easy to switch back to the stock ECU if you needed to. You would just reconnect the pins when switching back to stock ECU.
Old May 5, 2016, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
If it's just pulling two pins like TheBoz said it should be easy to switch back to the stock ECU if you needed to. You would just reconnect the pins when switching back to stock ECU.
Got it, thanks!
Old May 5, 2016, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I too run the Infinity and pretty happy with its capabilities. As mentioned, the de-pin of the IAC takes less than 10 mins to do or revert back to stock form.
Some of the things I like about the software are the abilities to set safe cut features based on Lambda, oil pressure, fuel pressure and over boost. For instance, I have one of the conditions setup if Lambda goes to 0.86 (~12.55 AFR) for ~250ms, then it cuts spark or fuel completely to save the engine. This is also a vector as a function of engine speed so you can set it up differently for diff rpm’s.
Old May 5, 2016, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

I am pretty excited by the data logging capabilities too. If anything seemed wrong at all with my car when pushing it hard and heating it up for example I always wondered what it was doing so I basically drove around with a laptop and nearly broke my laptop several times. Not to mention how many more data points you'll get with the Infinity

Quick Reply: AEM Infinity Installation