Notices

Installing a CC MIVEC front cut into a CE Mirage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2003, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a CC MIVEC front cut into a CE Mirage

Hey guys. Just wanting your opinion. I've got a Mob in Sydney who claim to be able to use a CC MIVEC Cut and install it into my CE shape Mirage. They admit that it's not a straight conversion with the engine facing the opposite b/w CC and CE, but being that all up they would only charge me 6.5k for the conversion including engineering report and brake upgrade, I thought it would be worth it. I know in theory anything is possible, but has anyone actually known anyone with a set up like this?
Old Sep 10, 2003, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

I have been thinking about this....there is a few ways I can see it possibly fitting. But I would not do it. There is a few reasons why. Firstly I believe in NSW you are not legally allowed to put in a older engine than the car. Secondly I know you could perform this conversion for around that price using a newer CE engine. Thirdly is it worth it? I just looked up and noticed that under your user name you say Drives: Mitsubishi Mirage (Turbocharged). Now if it is turbo, there is not going to be much of a difference between that and the Mivec power wise. But there are a few engine options that you can go for if you are hell bent on doing a engine swap. Please keep asking questions, because we are all more than willing to help you out.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 02:36 PM

Thanks MIVEC, the only reason why I'm looking this way is because the CE shape is hard to find and I've only managed to locate one from Adelaide Jap but it's tiptronic. I could always get this one and just change the gearbox altogether but I do prefer manual. There are a few CC shape ones around in manual. Most of the places I've checked in NSW charge about 7 - 8k for the conversion of the CE and even then it's only if they can source one. If they go direct to Japan then it'll take months. The only reason I'm moving away from turbo is because I got canary'd and failed to pass EPA, I've had my microtech tuned about 6 times by different tuners and I still can't get it passable, so I've just decided to go back to N/A. If someone can source me a CE front cut and install it for 6.5k then I'm all ears.

Personally I'm not sure how they'd convert the CC motor to fit the CE body. Would they swap the block around and then swap the head so that the headers are facing the correct way? Or would they just fabricate new mounts for the gearbox and engine? if that's even possible.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Please check and see if it is legal first, I would hate to see you go through all of the trouble to have the transport department say sorry mate cant drive that on the road.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 08:51 PM

I've checked with the RTA and there's nothing regarding the age of the engine replacement, it's more to do with you can't have a certain engine capacity more than the weight of the car, they got some sort of formula. In other words the engine can't be more than 2.7L for a 900 odd kg car. As long as it's engineered and passes emission tests it's ok. So there's no problems with that. I doubt they'd go through engineering anyway if it was illegal.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 06:17 PM

Anyone know what the process would be to get the CC 4g92 to fit into the CE Chassis?