Notices

Recommendations on Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Recommendations on Cold Air Intake

Looking at adding one to my RA , any suggestions on make and model?

Also concidering headers, looks like lots of room, anyone done this??

Thanks in advance
Old May 3, 2005, 12:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

AEM, and here is why.

When AEM makes an intake they start with a 10' long tube and then start cutting it down while it is on a dyno untill they have reached the optimum gains they start bending, checking to ensure that they have not lost too much power in the bends. Then it goes to you.

AEM puts more time into R&D on each of their intakes for each car then any other company that I have heard of. They are the RRM of intakes (RRM is also high quality IMO)

You can get Injen aswell, Their designs are simular but they are more expensive. The overall differance between CAI to CAI is minimual but I personaly choose AEM to support the work and the craftsmanship they put into their parts. By all means buy a name brand intake, dont put your vehicle in jepordy with a knock off.
Old May 3, 2005, 08:15 PM
cih

Well said Danno.

I personally love my AEM Cold Air Intake.
Old May 4, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

i am not sure where you guys get your intakes from

but the prices i was quoted was

AEM = $380
Ingen = $355

I would really like to see this "10 feet pipe" thing you are mentioning.. it would require them to take the engine out of the car, put it on a engine dyno room (which usually is isloated and don't have enough room for a 10 feet pipe)

but they can't really take the engine out, since they need it in the car to figure out how to run the pipes.. so i really wonder how they put a 10' pipe under the hood

-joe
Old May 4, 2005, 06:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
i am not sure where you guys get your intakes from

but the prices i was quoted was

AEM = $380
Ingen = $355

I would really like to see this "10 feet pipe" thing you are mentioning.. it would require them to take the engine out of the car, put it on a engine dyno room (which usually is isloated and don't have enough room for a 10 feet pipe)

but they can't really take the engine out, since they need it in the car to figure out how to run the pipes.. so i really wonder how they put a 10' pipe under the hood

-joe
You need to shop around. Even look for a used one. I sold my AEM last year for like $150.00. I paid $300 for it new.

They don't take the engine out of the car they attach their pipe to the throtal body where any intake goes while it sits in the car. I havent seen this process myself it is just what an AEM representivite told me. If you look at the dyno sheets on their website they are lowe then your stock numbers. This is because it is based on wheel horsepower not crank horsepower.

I am not a AEM rep so I really dont know everything about their processes. All I know is that they make great products and I will alsways support them.
Old May 4, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

sales people (reps) will tell you the moon is a triangler object if it means they can sell you their product

i was comparing the built quality of the AEM vs injen and i went with the injen because it looked better

if the aem was priced round the same, i would get it .. but i got a killer deal (ie. i didn't pay $355 haha) vs. the aem $360-380 street price

-joe
Old May 4, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

good 4 u
Old May 4, 2005, 08:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
sales people (reps) will tell you the moon is a triangler object if it means they can sell you their product

i was comparing the built quality of the AEM vs injen and i went with the injen because it looked better

if the aem was priced round the same, i would get it .. but i got a killer deal (ie. i didn't pay $355 haha) vs. the aem $360-380 street price

-joe

Sales reps tell you things about their product that is truefull. Its the incompitant people at your local retail store that make up the stuff. The sales rep and the company want a good honest buisness for themselves. I'm glad you got a great deal on Injen, like I said before they also make great products.
Old May 4, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

if you belive that.. then good for you

i think anybody and everbody will tell you they spend sooo much time on R&D.. etc..

the whole 10 feet pipe thing just makes no sense.. if they stayed with a 4 feet pipe.. at least it's more belieable

-joe
Old May 4, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry thought this was an EVO post

Good Luck what ever you decide.

Last edited by nirvevo; May 4, 2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old May 4, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

INJEN it is all dyno proven and you will pay alittle more for it but just remember you get what you pay for.
Old May 4, 2005, 03:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Devbo
INJEN it is all dyno proven and you will pay alittle more for it but just remember you get what you pay for.

I said that Injen is very good, I was not positive if it was dyno proven or not as I have never seen numbers. I cant reccomend something that I have personally never used either. I do hand it to Injen though. Their intakes look great and a lot of thought went into some of the brackets.

Back on topic:

Like I said in an earlier post. Buy a good name brand intake and stay clear of the knockoffs. Other then that go for price and personal preferance.
Old May 5, 2005, 05:43 AM

RRM's CAI is 200$ USD on their website.... and from what I've heard on the US forums it is really sweet.

I think I'll be ordering one soon enough. what are your thoughts on that?
Old May 5, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Injen posted their dyno up on their web site..

Injen ran a compare again AEM on 6-7 cars and they all beat up pretty bad

AEM was the best.. now they have more challengers

-joe
Old May 9, 2005, 12:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Please link me for this dyno sheet. I looked and I couldnt find it.