Notices

RRM Strut Bar Installed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2003, 05:06 AM
jtc
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM Strut Bar Installed

Got my RRM strut bar in on Friday, took me a good hour to install it. I'm not sure if it was only on mine, but one of the bolting parts had a huge welding burr on it which was really hard to remove (15 minutes grinding with Dremel), and prevented the bolt from screwing in past a certain point.

Not sure why either, but the holes didn't quite match up, took some elbow grease to hold the bar in place while bolting.

Strut bar works great, handling is much improved. Just bear in mind the additional $67 UPS brokerage fee getting it shipped to Canada. That was a bit of a surprise.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 05:20 AM
Account Disabled

**** UPS....they want $120 for my Duty and brokerage for my test pipe.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

luckily i have a friend in the us that said i can ship stuff to his house and pick it up later. after my first incident with brokerage fees i have done this ever since. no duty or brokerage on my coilovers or intake!!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Man, I know what you're talking about guys - I ship stuff from an online store (coffee) to Canada every so often and there's like a 50/50 shot of getting some brokerage fee added. And worse, UPS can't tell you if you will or not so we can't just charge more shipping to cover it. Essentially, a customer will just get a COD order from us and be really pissed at us for not paying for shipping, even though we charged for it.

Apparently, when asking UPS about it, they claim its the fault of the Canadian customs as they only check random packages. And moreover, if they check it, then they charge some amount based on teh value of the contents to the delivery people, in this case UPS.

One good side though, is that UPS will eat those fees with air deliveries. If you do 2-Day or Next-Day, UPS will cover any brokerage fees that come up.
-N
Old Jul 16, 2003, 04:55 AM
jtc
Evolving Member

Cool, thanks for the tip. What you might want to do is lower the declared value of your goods, if you're not insuring them anyway. That way the percentage of the declared value would be less. Would that work?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

fyi, probaby a reason you had a little trouble gettin the bar to fit right is because you probably already took turns in your car faster than normal from time to time which was already stressing your body/frame.. making the struts lean into each other just a little bit, but enough to throw off the specific stock locations that the bar fits on... not a big issue, nothing bad about it, just makes it more difficult to install the bars!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:21 AM
jtc
Evolving Member

that's crazy talk! i would never do that! hehehe...
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:01 PM

Which RRM Strut Bar did you buy the normal one, or the rally????
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:03 PM
jtc
Evolving Member

i bought the rally k-bar, the one with 4 bolts. wasn't really keen on the normal one, didn't seem strong enough.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

what are some quick tips on intall. Also how should I install the K bar (ie. Jack one side or whole front)
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys just to let you know I imnported some rims & tires and made a funny custom declaration: value for each rim & tire: 25 CD$. They charged me 26$ for brokering fees.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:42 PM
jtc
Evolving Member

i jacked both sides up, to take the weight off both struts. hope you haven't had your car for too long, because i had mine for a few months, and i guess the chassis was already a bit twisted, so i had a bit of trouble getting the last bolt on.

also, before you put the bar on, make sure there are no welding burrs on the inside, because the bolts are pretty tight to the sides. if there are, use a dremel tool to grind it down.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Oh by the way how much did it cost you overall for the RRM k-bar?? How long did it take for you to get it??
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:45 PM
jtc
Evolving Member

Evo Pete:

I see you're in Montreal, there's a shop there called LB Performance that carries all of RRM's products, you might want to look them up.

Their site is currently down for maintenance, but here's the page with all their Lancer items.

http://www.lbperformance.net/c171520.1.html

The great thing is you won't have to pay those insane brokerage fees for stuff coming up from the states. Score!
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I know I've met these guys in the past. They got a crazy Lancer! I'm eager to see the car with the evo VII motor. I just wanted to compare the price you payed with the one they list. Thanks anyways

Quick Reply: RRM Strut Bar Installed