Notices

I havent seen one EVO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should check a thread about 5 spd and 6 spd i remember its on the evo section where they talk about the 6 speed doesn't really suck...is just ppl are driving it wrong aka Can't drive..... I go pushing it on 3rd 4th gear all the time on straight aways...no problem....
Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

From what I've gathered, starting at around 400AWHP (which is a bit of a misnomer because it's torque and shock that kills), it doesn't matter how gingerly a 6spd is shifted, it's life will be compromised at those power levels.

You are not there yet but if a red or a stroker kit enters the equation, you may suddenly find yourself making a decision. Let's hope all goes well.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Billy
From what I've gathered, starting at around 400AWHP (which is a bit of a misnomer because it's torque and shock that kills), it doesn't matter how gingerly a 6spd is shifted, it's life will be compromised at those power levels.

You are not there yet but if a red or a stroker kit enters the equation, you may suddenly find yourself making a decision. Let's hope all goes well.

^ what he said. once you're in the higher power level, becareful.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Ive heard that you can having cooling problems with the 6spd. Your craming one more gear in a box made for 5 and the same amount of cooling fins. That just adds to problem.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, not that cooling is a problem with the 6spd, its just it makes sense that it wont cool as well.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this thread has a lot of misinformation in it.

It's the same as anything else. If you treat it badly, launching, hard shifting regularly its going to fail eventually. Once you start adding more power for the drivetrain to handle, it's going to add more stress on all the parts that aren't meant to handle ALL that power.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 007WRX
I think this thread has a lot of misinformation in it.

It's the same as anything else. If you treat it badly, launching, hard shifting regularly its going to fail eventually. Once you start adding more power for the drivetrain to handle, it's going to add more stress on all the parts that aren't meant to handle ALL that power.
its just like the earlier WRX's transmission. people blow their tranny left and right because they abuse it. ive been on 18G for like 6months, and a protuned vf39 before that since 2004 and never had a problem. mind you a granny shift now with the 18g. again maybe i am just lucky.

Tune also plays a good factor. my 18g was tuned by ramping up the PSI, so i dont hit like 19psi at 3500rpm but 17, then 19 at 4000 to minimize some of the shockload. i think that contributes to some of the longevity of the car.

its definately how you drive your car. The weaklink of our cars have been pretty much identified, its how you take that information and use it.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Vince, where you pickin up the 9? Is it the one up at tyee motors in Campbell River?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SmoothdrJay
Hey Vince, where you pickin up the 9? Is it the one up at tyee motors in Campbell River?
negative, im going down to san francisco to pick up mine. the seller posted it here on the for sale forum.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...p-nor-cal.html

Tyee didnt have any 9s (well not on their website anyways) and at least this way i know the previous owner of the car, and can get more info about the car i am purchasing.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vince126
negative, im going down to san francisco to pick up mine.

Beauty MR.

You have to pay 3 taxes on it for sure.
5% GST
7% BC PST
6.1% Import Duty

And, from what I've read, if you are physically picking it up in San Fran as opposed to picking it up in Eugene for example, you have another 8.25% in California state taxes... but you can afford an MR, you can afford taxes.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2030329AAy7shi
Old Oct 9, 2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Billy
Beauty MR.

You have to pay 3 taxes on it for sure.
5% GST
7% BC PST
6.1% Import Duty

And, from what I've read, if you are physically picking it up in San Fran as opposed to picking it up in Eugene for example, you have another 8.25% in California state taxes... but you can afford an MR, you can afford taxes.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2030329AAy7shi
thats actually just a GSR with some MR parts.

I prefer the 5speed for the strength, my end goal is to have a 450awhp DD car without blowing out gears.

that 8.25% only applies if you are buying a car from the dealership.
I am buying it privately, and i will already have my paperwork filed with CBP that i am importing the vehicle, therefor i do not have to pay the taxes.

with all the fees, im looking at just under 30,000$ CND after everything. i think thats pretty good.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

Not bad! Same as my price !!!! hurry up and get your car we can finally shoot with twins! i have a picture of my car for now

EVO - X and EVO - IX
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:55 AM

I wish I could find a EVO here in Atlanta...
Old Oct 10, 2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by AJR-Coco
Not bad! Same as my price !!!! hurry up and get your car we can finally shoot with twins! i have a picture of my car for now

EVO - X and EVO - IX
i'll give you a shout when i am driving it back, but im on a very tight timeline and gotta be back on the island asap. im crossing the border on the monday 26th morning, and ferrying it back in the afternoon : /
Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ya, tyee has a couple 8's right now, I thought they had a 9 awhile back. Give me a message on here when your back on the island vince. I would love to see another evo here. Im in nanaimo.

PS. Great time to buy anything outta the states. Our dollar is pretty close to par again. And you are getting a great deal, i just paid about $27k for my '03 Evo 8, but i gotta 2 year bumper to bumper warranty thrown in for that price.

Last edited by SmoothdrJay; Oct 11, 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: I havent seen one EVO