Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

AEM vs UTEC, I don't know computers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM vs UTEC, I don't know computers

Mods move this is you feel necessary. I didn't put this in the tuning thread because I'm asking about both systems, but move if you feel its necessary

I've searched and searched and found below and read and read but in all honesty I'm still very confused. I would like to hear from AEM EMS users and UTEC users. Why did YOU go with the EMS or the UTEC? If you changed why?
Here's basically what I understand, the AEM EMS is a stand alone computer. To me that means I have lots of control and I don't run a MAS sensor. Please don't flame me cause I really don't know. I also have looked around and found out that I would need the AEM wideband O2 and the other sensors?
What I know about the UTEC is a plug and play computer. That would allow me to retain my mas air.

I do a lot of street driving with my car runnine 93 octane. I go to the track and race at about every big event at MIR. I plan on making a few other races this year. I am also getting more involved with auto-x and will be doing some open track events this year.
Down and dirty I want a computer where I can have my daily driver settings then be at the track and have my race settings basically at the 'flip of a switch.'
I am not all that savvy with computers. I also can not afford to have my car down for more than a weekend.
Current mods are aem intake, 3" turbo back, ported O2, 700cc, 255lph, adj cam gears, 272/272, kev tb, arp hs, metal hg, and br upper i/c. Planned upgrades br500 or the equivalent, fmic, br head, throttle body, and sheetmetal intake.
These mods won't be comign all at the same time. Currently I am on my second dynoflash. I just can't be spendign $400 everytime I get a new upgrade. Al's services are great and I have no regrets going to him, but I think I'll be 'outgrowing' his services.
What do you recommend? What would be easiest? What will give me more 'play?' I also need to pass emissions too, to throw a kink in at the last minute. Can someone please help me decifer this problem.

AEM’s Plug & Play Engine Management System (EMS) will forever change the way you look at and perform fuel injection tuning! This user-programmable system plugs directly into a vehicle’s factory ECU harness and requires no additional wiring or hardware.* Windows™-based software (2000, NT, 98, 95, ME) makes the task of copying, viewing and manipulating data as simple as a click of the mouse. User-defined templates are easily configurable and enable tuners to establish “quick keys” to any pertinent information during the tuning process.The AEM EMS’s infinitely adjustable software allows tuners to program virtually any combination of engine control, power adders and auxiliary devices, and accurately deliver proper amounts of fuel and correct ignition timing for ANY boost level or operating condition.
Installs in Minutes
Plug & Play Technology - No Wiring Necessary
Uses all the Factory Sensors
Fuel Table Automapping
Base Maps Included
Programmable Traction Control
Onboard 512kb Datalogger
10 Cyl Sequential Fuel Injection
16 General Purpose Outputs
7 Definable Switch Inputs
Electronic Boost Control
Soft Cut Rev Limiters
2 Step Launch Control
Wet or Dry Nitrous Control
Definable Knock Control
Full Idle Control
4 EGT Inputs w/Fuel Control
16/32 Hybrid High-Speed Processor

UTEC standard features include:

Plug-&-Play installation with OEM connectors for EVO VIII
No cutting, splicing or additional sensors required
20 minute, do-it-yourself installation
End-user programmable via PC or PDA with HyperTerminal and serial cable
Fine tune the maps for your exact setup
Pre-programmed base maps get you started quickly and safely
Base maps for our Staged upgrade packages, dyno proven and road tested.
Don’t waste hours tuning just to get your car to idle and cruise decently
Maps can be e-mailed or simply downloaded then uploaded
Four (5) maps plus “stock mode” selectable with a flick of the switch
Create custom maps for street gas, race gas, nitrous, or whatever
No need to lug around a laptop just to switch between your programs
Optional remote dash mounted switch availabl

Fuel, ignition timing, and boost are programmable in 250rpm increments up to 9000rpm over 10 load sites

Complete ignition timing control
No need to worry about the factory ECU pulling timing anymore
Be as aggressive or conservative as you want or just let the factory ECU determine timing at any point in the map
Fuel control
Controlled via MAF sensor signal offset
Tune stock and larger than stock injectors
Load reference
MAP (manifold pressure)
Closed loop boost control programmable via Throttle Position and RPM
No more re-adjusting the boost controller due to changes in temperature or altitude
Keeps boost low while in closed loop fuel mode for reliability
Knock control
Automatically retards timing when the knock is detected safeguarding against engine damage
Adjustable knock threshold, timing correction, and duration
On board data logging
Provides valuable information to assist you in tuning
Built in programmable solenoid controller
Control nitrous, water injection, intercooler water spray or any other solenoid device

Drag racing launch control (secondary rev limit used during launch)
Shave precious time off your launch
Free software upgrades
As we add more features, simply download the latest software version from our website and upload it to the UTEC
Future features (available free via software upgrade) include:

Primary rev limit control
Maximize potential of larger turbochargers and valve train upgrades
MAP to MAF signal conversion
Eliminate the Mass Air Flow sensor and run any turbo you
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

i got utec in my evo.. it works really sweet!!!! all u gotta to do is switch when u at the track or whatever.. its really sweet system.. and u ll feel more power after installed it. good luck!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There's a few inconsistencies in the information you gathered on the UTEC.. but I think you've answered your own questions by stating your intentions.. you will spend quite a bit more time with the AEM than setting up the UTEC.. Both run off the MAF, the AEM can run speed density, and a speed density conversion is one of the few good reasons to u se the AEM.

If you drive the car every day, and can't have it down for too long to get it running well, then your best off with the UTEC.. this is going to be a personal preference on your part though.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
There's a few inconsistencies in the information you gathered on the UTEC.. but I think you've answered your own questions by stating your intentions.. you will spend quite a bit more time with the AEM than setting up the UTEC.. Both run off the MAF, the AEM can run speed density, and a speed density conversion is one of the few good reasons to u se the AEM.

If you drive the car every day, and can't have it down for too long to get it running well, then your best off with the UTEC.. this is going to be a personal preference on your part though.
there ya go! good job! and u are right!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind that you can use the AEM with the stock maf as well to get the car running good then switch to speed density. If you have problems just put the stock ecu in and you are on the go. Just basically no switch like the UTEC becuase it is a full system. With the MAF daily driveability and tuning is much easier than without but both can be acomplished.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends on your preference and how you wanna take your car. Utec is great , and is very user freindly where as the aem you will need to have some sort of previous tuning capability to tune it. The AEM is very good and does a good job at doing what it was designed for. But if you ask any respectable and able tuner, they will point you in the way of the aem. I have had some previous experience with the utec and it seemed to need more adjusting than I like. And the fact that it cannot control the idle well is another downfall. I guess I havent had good luck with the utec , so that is why I have the aem.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

I've got the utec and have nothing but great things to say about it. Very easy to use. It does just about anything the AEM can do as well.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys I appreciate the input.
I have heard rumors about the UTEC not being able to idle with cams and/or a bigger turbo. Is there any truth to this? And if so why?
Old Feb 6, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ldstang50
thanks guys I appreciate the input.
I have heard rumors about the UTEC not being able to idle with cams and/or a bigger turbo. Is there any truth to this? And if so why?
i am gonna find it out real soon i ll update! cux yesarday i send my evo to shop.. they gonna build forged racing pitison, rods, top end and everything. 272s and bigger turbo. i ll let u guys know how utec handle it..
Old Feb 6, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

my EVO idles fine with my UTEC and 272/272 gears set both at TDC. Never stalls.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 06:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Bump for more info on this topic. I'm trying to make this same decision and have similar plans and needs as the original poster.

Other than the restrictive MAF, is there any downside to the UTEC when a larger turbo is bolted on?

I'm not planning to go bigger than 264s, so I'm not too worried about idle quality, so long as I can adjust timing/fueling at idle to ensure a clean sniffer test.

Is there anything that a flash can do that the UTEC cannot?

I've seen MalibuJack posting about a blow through MAF conversion. On a ~375 whp car, how much whp would this conversion be worth and how much does it cost start to finish?

Thanks.