Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

EVODAVE needs advice on dragracing from the 10 second or faster crew!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2005, 08:57 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVODAVE needs advice on dragracing from the 10 second or faster crew!!

I am trying to figure out where we are messing up so bad....the run that is listed on here: (#18) you can click on it and open each slip up now...
http://dsmtimes.org/times.php?Header_Type=evo&Page=1

is with a 1.67 60ft and a "decent" shift to second and third .... the second to third and third to forth was flatshifted (1st to second was kinda). So anyway i am noticing my 1/8th mile MPH is horrible compared to the other fast cars , especially the other ones that are gaining big power on the back 1/8th . I almost gain 32mph the back 8th so that tells me the power is there for sure. BUT what the heck is up with it not being a 7.0 or so 1/8th with a 100-101mph + trap speed....shift recover is very good now with the shifting but it isn't good mph the front . The car doesn't seem to spin the tires that bad after 1st or anything. Its just something else. Any input would be awesome!
Old Sep 19, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

email me a log
Old Sep 19, 2005, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

don't have a laptop
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:41 PM
Account Disabled

You have the world's best DSM tuner right down the road from you - Mr. David Buschur - stop by and let him look over your car
Old Sep 20, 2005, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have a laptop then you should sell me your car for 10K as punishment. For less than $300 bucks you can get one with a serial cable

Take it to Buschur and dyno it. The spool will be very very close to what you would see on the street. I would bet your boost response between shifts is not nearly as good as you think. If everything checks out o.k you can only look at the last real variable.....the driver.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Dave I sent you a PM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:41 AM
Account Disabled

i haven no doubt its the driver. the car has almost instant boost as just about any turbo would when you set it up for flat shifting (2step) and also set it up with the ignition advancing 200rpms before so it will keep the turbo spooled . The main issue in my eyes is i realize the turbo is large and without the flat shifting the boost recovery isn't so hot so thats why i set it up and it did make a huge difference. The only thing is i haven't been able to flatshift 1-2 mostly because i forget and also cause its a lot harder shift to get perfect for me. Even when i had stock turbo cars my back 8th was great but the front wasn't up to par. Additionally with my old evo with the 3037 turbo i could do a 7.4 or 7.5 8th mile at 95ish mph...but only run 11.5 at 122mph in the quarter so i think it has to be something in the first 8th...
Its a shame the car can't break 10s trapping almost 5 mph more then other have to do 10s in evos. If me or my buddy drives the car neither of us get anywhere near shifting as fast as i used to in most of my other cars that had trannies where i felt confident that if i tried to shift it fast it wouldn't bust a tooth off a gear or something. I guess maybe i worry too much about it.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

dave if you could post the entire run that would help me your .60 is down from the top 5 & I may be a newbie to evo,but not to racing in general,lol.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:54 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
Dave I sent you a PM.

My car should be back in action middle of next week, then i am assuming i need to breakin the ralliart front diff from Jon at TRE! Once this is done i will go down and run the car again (possibly go oct 3rd to norwalk for the lot races). I may also get a retune since the car was acting up after we installed the intake duct into the front. I need to first try to get all this worked out with switzer since he has done nothing but great things for me. I made big power...have had great reliablity ... and have been invited to the shop with open arms if i did or didn't have a problem (i like feeling special like that ) anyway i haven't given anyone the time or even tried to tune the car off the dyno or even at the strip. It got tuned in 90 degree weather and thats it. Drove it home and started racing it and breaking diffs (also my fault i am sure) and getting faster as we went and did minor changes like the flatshifting and such.
I am going to do a leakdown test on the car and a pressure test but i doubt there are issues there. I just need to learn how to drive. Its pretty hard to argue that the car has tuning or build issues in my mind only because i have driven the crap outta the car and it has been nothing but 100% even making 550 ish awhp all day and night on the road or the track with 93 octane and your guys alky kit, as well as trapping 127-129mph constently all with stock motor besides cams , stock intake mani and tb and stock ignition with 1 step colder plugs. I just need some ideas on why i can't pick up the front of the track . If i can figure that out it should do a 10.7 ish at 131 i would assume. I think the variable is the person typeing.

Last edited by evodave; Sep 20, 2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

one more thing dave your sixty is almost two tenths slow that's your 10 sec pass there and are you cutting sh*t lights ??
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:06 AM
Account Disabled

my 60ft is 1.68 even....thats not so bad. I have done 1.62 ish a few times but on street tires that pretty good considering i spin a decent amount .I haven't heard of but 1 or two street tired evos getting into the upper 1.5s . Yes that run the light was a .2179 lol. I am sure they are all pretty bad. My other thinking is since i know that dragway 42 kinda sucks where i race maybe i am having a hard time cause the track is kinda bumpy in the front half...but i see others go fast sometimes at that track so i don't think thats it either.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

where I'm getting that 1.5 .60 from is the top 5 qualifiers have 1.5s what tires are they using.............also you live & die @ the tree import people to me seem not to care about lights because they always feel they can walk their competitor down just what I noticed at few nopi races where I out treed everyone lol............020-.040 all day on a LED pro tree !!

Last edited by Torre from Va.; Sep 20, 2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

to me that run should have been a 10.80 run with the .60 ft. taken care of.

Last edited by Torre from Va.; Sep 21, 2005 at 04:55 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Torre from Va your not making much sense here. Why does reaction time make a difference again? Oh, that's right, it doesn't! The timers don't start until you break the beam slick. You could sit at the light for 1 hour and still run a 9 second pass.

Read up some more, go to the track and actually race, and then post your opinions. Good luck and study hard.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
Torre from Va your not making much sense here. Why does reaction time make a difference again? Oh, that's right, it doesn't! The timers don't start until you break the beam slick. You could sit at the light for 1 hour and still run a 9 second pass.

Read up some more, go to the track and actually race, and then post your opinions. Good luck and study hard.

to me cutting a good light helps me be more alert to hit my shifts....if you sleep on the tree your sleeping the whole pass........imo.......hey what the hell do I know I've only been 4.95 in 1/8 & 7.77 in the 1/4 not in a evo

Quick Reply: EVODAVE needs advice on dragracing from the 10 second or faster crew!!