Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Went to Commerce last night...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to Commerce last night...

I installed a K&N drop in filter before I went to the track and I heard a whistling sound after we installed it while driving and my friend says that the sound is "normal" but later at home finding out, after searching the forums(yay evom.net!), that the two pins that hold down the snorkel for the intake were disconnected! So I fixed that and was estatic to find that I finally had power after the 5.5k rpm mark.... but here are the times that I ran anyways! (btw tires are winter tires, bought it used from Michigan and the only performance mod on the car is a catback system)

1st Run...
60' - 1.971
1/4 - 14.931 @ 88.73 mph

2nd Run...
60' - 1.836
1/4 - 15.101 @ 87.64 mph (misshifted 3rd - 4th)

Keep in mind that the power almost completely died after 5.5k rpm and made a huge whistling sound. But regardless, I'll be going back up to the track within the next few weeks and get updated times with everything in correct working condition. But all in all, I still think the 60 ft's were doing okay even with this problem goin on so with that I'm still semi-proud of the times I achieved.... but was scared sh!tless of having a big boost leak while I was there and on the way home. Thank you Warrtalon for answering the question on a different thread that related to this about 2 years back .
Old Sep 10, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As soon as I read the first line, I knew the problem, but huge props to you for coming to EvoM, searching, finding the problem, and fixing it. Great job! If you ran those times with the "sucking snorkel syndrome," then you should be in great shape now that it's fixed. Go back and bust out some low 13s. For reference, when I encountered this problem and spent a week trying to fix it, I went to the 1/8-th mile track and ran this time:

9.1@72

I finally figured out the problem, then went back and ran 8.0@84 in the 1/8th en route to a 12.8@106.3. This was on an 05 with just an SAFC. You'll be around that range...