Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

what is my power

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is my power

i will be going to a dyno in a month or 2 once i get around to puttin in the cams i have sittin in my gargage.

however, i am curious as to what power you think i am making at the wheels

my traps at the dragway are currently 114mph. the car is basicly stock weight.

just trying to figure out where i am now^^ and where i should be with the hks 272's in there...

im looking for mustang dyno numbers.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
look up "horsepower calculator" in google. That should give you a good idea.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

It depends, all dynos read differently. Even some mustangs read like dynojets. On a lower reading mustang, I'd say anywhere from 280 to 295whp. With the Cams you should be at around 295 to 310whp. But like I said all dynos read differently and other factors can affect your numbers. You may have trapped 114mph in 60 degree weather and dyno at 95 degrees, your numbers may be lower than you expect.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't estimate MD numbers, because they all read differently. On a Dynojet, you should be around 350whp uncorrected. Add another 20-30 with the cams.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

on my 1/4 pass it was 80 degrees out.

aight thanks. thats all i needed to hear
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

You already have trap speeds, so your dyno numbers are basically meaningless. if you dyno 280whp and go trap 117mph, then you know how fast your car really is. If you dyno 380whp and trap 112, well...you know how slow it really is. The dyno number is arbitrary, because dynos read so differently from one to the next, and some people use different correction factors. It's impossible to keep them all in line, so the best thing you can do is dyno before and after the cams to see your gains while not concerning yourself with the outright numbers.

Look at my dyno numbers and track results. My traps are in regularly in the 118s.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

yea i am very excited to see what i can do for a trap after the cams and posibly a LICP.

yea im not looking to be able to tell people i make 350 hp or w/e i was just curious what amount of power i had because my car has few mods and most people say i have a high trap. i hit 115.8 when i was on snows on a cold day a few months ago when the track opened.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

If you hit 115.8, then that's closer to 370whp. That's next to impossible on an 03 without cams. Anyway, the dyno isn't going to tell you how much power you have. The track has already told you. Did you think the dyno was going to tell you a better truth than track. Dyno numbers are dust in the wind compared to track results.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
i will be going to a dyno in a month or 2 once i get around to puttin in the cams i have sittin in my gargage.

however, i am curious as to what power you think i am making at the wheels

my traps at the dragway are currently 114mph. the car is basicly stock weight.

just trying to figure out where i am now^^ and where i should be with the hks 272's in there...

im looking for mustang dyno numbers.
Try this http://www.carrito.net/hp_calc.htm , it is not 100% exact but works well.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

that trap i hit is not next to imposible becuase i hit it. however since i have swaped my tires to a larger size i am only hitting 114's.

ok i will try out that calc
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

it said i get like 325, 330. i just wanted a comparison to the other people that tell me how much hp their evo has and that have never tracked it. some people that don't go to the track and instead just auto-x or street race don't understand 1/4 mile numbers.
i am pleased with the car so far adn can't wait to try it with the cams. i will deff post up some before and after info.

i have raced 2 of my friends that have camed evo's and beat them both. they are around 21 psi so i believe me being at 25 with a pretty agressive tune and them probably having a ****ty tune < (i don't really know) is what gave me the wins
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

did u buy the evo new or used??
Sounds like you might already have cams in there.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

there is definatly not cams in there. i bought it used but i know this car inside and out. i have replaced the timing belt and head gasket and installed head studs. i had the stock cams out in put in my hks 272's. i had engine problems so i took them out and solved the problems. now i just need to put them back in. i know for SURE that they are stock right now.

my boost is controled with my wastegate duty cycle using a laptop and not a mbc so i have no boost taper.

i am running 25 psi from 3000ish all the way to where i shift (7k even) i believe that is why i pick up the speed over most stockish evos that are running like 23 with a taper to like 19. that is nowhere close to what i am running. follow me?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

not sure how you do it, but you're car must have a bigger turbo. stock turbos don't (even a Evo 9 turbo) won't hold 25 psi to redline. Even with an upgraded actuator, it still won't . The most mine would hold on my 9 is 23 psi w/ 26 peak on 100 octane.

As for the 1/4 mile calculator, it's off by half a second on my run. I put in 308 horsepower and it said 12.8. That's why stuff like that doesn't work too well...because all "tuning devices" such as dynos are all different.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

my car is on stock turbo and i belive the actuator is stock also but am not 100% sure about that.

i wish one of you guys could come see the car for yourselves and believe me. i have pics of when i had my engine apart and put it back together and you can see the stock cams and turbo. however the site is my team's forum and you have to sign up to view it. if any of you wish to do so let me know