Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

First time at track - Best ET 11.7, best MPH 124

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time at track - Best ET 11.7, best MPH 124

Hey guys - I took my Evo X to the track last night (Island Dragway, NJ) - Got a best ET of 11.7, and best MPH of 124.

Big thanks to Sean Ivey at IveyTune for setting the car up, and tuning it - Car was a blast, and ran like an absolute top last nigh. Over a dozen passes in less than 3 hours, and never had any problem (except that this thing is HARD to launch!)

Had a blast, will go back again, but I will need some pointers on how to get this thing out of the hole...My best 60' was ~ 2.0.

4.30 gears, and Exedy triple clutch make it very tricky to leave.

I think this car has more in it...It dynoed 565 on pump, but I since have changed the exhaust from the Agency power to MagnaFlow (and it still has the 2.5" reducer on it - Yes, I know...need to change that to 3") - And I could tell as soon as I put the Magna on there I had a power loss, and the car makes ~ 2 psi less boost (was 29, now 27).

I should probably put the Agency back on and see how it does with that at the track. I was hoping to see closer to 130mph on pump. Oh well....Next month E85 and 800 hp, that should get the car moving a bit better.

Any launch tips for this setup? If I can get a 1.7 it should go ~11.1

2.2, ETS 6266, AMS cams and IC, 1000cc's, Exedy triple, 4.30's, R888's.
Attached Thumbnails First time at track - Best ET 11.7, best MPH 124-20130907_160025_resized.jpg  
Old Sep 7, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Good job. Good to see some other high whp X's hitting the track. Practice makes perfect keep at it.

Last edited by Darksun280; Sep 7, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Darksun280
Good job. Good to see some other high whp X's hitting the track. Practice makes perfect keep at it.
Thanks...This isn't my drag race car, bought it to do a few HPDE's with. Hitting NYST next weekend, so I'll see how I like it on the road course.

But since a few friends wanted to hit the drag-strip I figured I take it to see how it did. Just had a hard time for the first 6 or 7 passes since I didn't really 'figure out' the launch until I tried a few different things.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's the absolute least amount of power I could make with the car, if you want to go fast 1/4 mile we can remap for that, let me know.

Sean
Old Sep 7, 2013, 04:53 PM

I dont have any tips for you. Just happy to see evos at island. I went last weekend. There was like 20-25 cars at best. And mostly mustangs. The road that leads to the track is amazingly horrible.

Car sounds like a beast though. Sorry I didn't have anything constructive to add
Old Sep 7, 2013, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by illogicalmind
I dont have any tips for you. Just happy to see evos at island.
I'm like that too. As soon as I see an X at the drag track I start rooting for them automatically.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 05:16 PM

hey i had the other evo gray evo at the track last night glad you were able to get some good times, I think i raced your green lambo once at car club in sv with my old buick
Old Sep 7, 2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
that's the absolute least amount of power I could make with the car, if you want to go fast 1/4 mile we can remap for that, let me know.

Sean
Oh really....Hmmmmm!!

Let me get through a HPDE day or two, then we'll throw the Cobb V3 on it, injectors, E85, and twist it UP.

Originally Posted by illogicalmind
I dont have any tips for you. Just happy to see evos at island. I went last weekend. There was like 20-25 cars at best. And mostly mustangs. The road that leads to the track is amazingly horrible.

Car sounds like a beast though. Sorry I didn't have anything constructive to add
Damn...Then we should have went last week...Last night was busy as f*ck! You would have thought racing was free there were so many cars...Still got ~14 passes, but on a 'normal' Island Friday we are usually good for 20-25 passes.

Originally Posted by chunkymr
hey i had the other evo gray evo at the track last night glad you were able to get some good times, I think i raced your green lambo once at car club in sv with my old buick
Oh, man...You should have come over and said hello - I was talking with someone with a EVO X MR, but he couldn't give me any tips on launching since he had the SST.

Ah, you raced my LP560? I don't recall, but I've done alot of racing so some nights I forget, and some I want to forget but can't!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 05:59 PM

Ya, last Friday there was no line. You just drove up and got on the track. I've only been to island a few times, but I've never seen it busy like englishtown or maple grove
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune

Sean
without disrespect but why you tuned op's car with absolute least amount of power?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by egis
without disrespect but why you tuned op's car with absolute least amount of power?
It is my road course car, so making a ton of power wasn't the goal; making it be able to handle 20-25 minutes of thrashing at a time was - so it was left 'soft' to keep it together. I didn't need this car at the edge.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ got it
Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Man last I heard they shut island down. Your X sounds like a monster, not that many high horsepower X's in the area. Where in north Jersey are you?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 596736
Man last I heard they shut island down. Your X sounds like a monster, not that many high horsepower X's in the area. Where in north Jersey are you?
Island was shut down for ~6 months, I think (I also thought they would never reopen given the issues they were facing, but they did! )

I am in Bergen County.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbo50mike
It is my road course car, so making a ton of power wasn't the goal; making it be able to handle 20-25 minutes of thrashing at a time was - so it was left 'soft' to keep it together. I didn't need this car at the edge.
I get this too when I posted the initial numbers of my 2.2, 6266 setp. I don't wanna blow my **** up either so I'll just ease into the power.

Quick Reply: First time at track - Best ET 11.7, best MPH 124