Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

FWD Doughnuts?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could i do doughnuts if im in an empty parking lot, and it just snowed? then it would be really like drivng on ice.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by hollywood
could i do doughnuts if im in an empty parking lot, and it just snowed? then it would be really like drivng on ice.
Yeah...but you'd still have nice flat spots on your rear tires.....
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

This is what you do man....honestly. These guys don't know. You get in your car...drive to your closest Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts...and buy some. That should do the trick. I've done a dozen donuts before
Old Aug 11, 2003, 05:06 AM

Donuts

Just found this forum & totally get off on donuts and burnouts. I agree...seel the FWD and buy RWD for performance.
Donuts in a vette, you are more likely to do a 360 than a full pledged donut...and throw it out of alignment trying...so it takes a little skill. Wet surface will help but more fun on dry.
Keep smoking em!
Old Aug 11, 2003, 02:02 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EVO Rosso

Sure just do them in reverse. Cause its not going to happen with a FWD on the power.
Originally posted by Score
The method I would use:
1. Sell FWD car.
2. Buy RWD car.
3. Proceed to do proper donuts.
Sounds like the two best suggestions on this thread

My understanding of donuts is that you do them almost in one place, meaning you start by having your car sitting still, turn the wheel all the way in one direction, then mash the gas as hard as you can. Of course, if you have FWD, all that's going to do is make the car move in the direction the wheels are pointed, so yeah RWD is for donuts.

Drifting is different because you are already moving and can use momentum to bring the rear end around. So if you wanna drift, go for it. If you wanna do donuts, buy a corvette or a porsche.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 02:18 PM

more donuts

a 360 is done in the same exact spot by turning the car around and back into the same direction and needs very little space. A DONUT can be made as big and wide of a circle as you want. (ending up back in the same place)

I can do donuts in any RWD.

Drifting would be something different all together. I do a minimum of 5 burnouts every day.
Should we move on to the figure 8, the drag race burn, the brakestand, rolling burnouts, etc.?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 02:34 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Bah, you don't need a 'Vette or a Porsche, a little ole Mustang will do.
http://www.hangar13.net/movies/donut2.mpg
Old Aug 11, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

haha.. plastic trays..never thoguht of that one. one of my friends used to use cardboard boxes and just roll around the neighborhood drifting and spining out everywhere. those things get reasonable grip but not enough to be safe
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:14 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Re: more donuts

Originally posted by partyboy
a 360 is done in the same exact spot by turning the car around and back into the same direction and needs very little space. A DONUT can be made as big and wide of a circle as you want. (ending up back in the same place)

I can do donuts in any RWD.

Drifting would be something different all together. I do a minimum of 5 burnouts every day.
Should we move on to the figure 8, the drag race burn, the brakestand, rolling burnouts, etc.?
I may be wrong, but my understanding of the following terms from road racing, autocrossing, formula 1, and nascar:

360: when the car spins around and comes to a stop (or stops spinning but keeps driving) in the same direction as it originally was after one complete revolution.

Donut: completing a circle with one inside front tire not moving from its original location, while the rear of the car rotates on that axis, creating a slolid circle of tire marks (hence the term donut)

Drifting: The back of a car losing traction to come around and point the car in the desired direction before moving in that direction. Controlled and done while in motion.

I may be wrong on this, but that's sure how I percieved "victory donuts", the donuts I used to do in my trans am with others in a Sears parking lot after hours, and 360s similar to the 180s formula cars use to turn around in tight areas, and drifting from my conversations with pro and club rall drivers.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:17 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

to further clarify, the rotating axis for a 360 is indeed the center of the vehicle like PartyBoy said. The rotating axis for a donut is the inside front tire of the vehicle, and there isn't a defined rotating axis in drifting since the car is not making a circle, or even an even arc.

UFO: yeah I was just giving examples. From what I hear old mustangs can do donuts veyr well... I found out we're not going to be able to adjust the rear camber on our '68 Mustang project. It's gonna be a wild ride!

Last edited by urbanknight; Aug 12, 2003 at 12:43 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 06:04 AM

Exactly! Urbannight...and it is just too much fun.
Especially when the ones in the back or pax seat start laughing.

There is a skill to it too...or you will throw a muscle car out of alignment every time and that sucks when it is time for a hi speed chase.
I don't really understand the plastic tray thing. I never heard of that before. Unless it is just to get the tire spinning on a vehcile with no horsepower. LOL
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:16 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Well, I have a FWD now, and the next RWD I plan on driving is a purpose-built VARA spec Mustang. Oh well.

I guess the plastic trays are to make the rear tires slide on the FWD cars. I'll stick to drifting on the slurry-sealed airport we autocross at
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

trays.....wood...cardboard boxes...how the hell would u keep it under your wheel when you move?
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:32 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

That's what I was hoping to know
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

ebrake locks rear wheels so the trays slide with the car as the weight of the rear keeps the tires on the trays... the traction between the tires and the tray is greater than the traction between the tray and the ground....

Quick Reply: FWD Doughnuts?