EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Driving Techniques (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/driving-techniques-65/)
-   -   Hand Position (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/driving-techniques/247789-hand-position.html)

w evo Jan 26, 2007 08:11 PM

Hand Position

Just curious, what hand positioning techniques do you use while autocrossing or while on the road course?

moreryce Jan 27, 2007 03:35 AM

both hands on the wheel?... lol... i dont really look much at hand positions i normally just leave it at the 3 o-clock and 9 o-clock positions...

w evo Jan 27, 2007 12:20 PM

lol...but eventually you have to take a turn that requires you turn the wheel more than 180 degrees. When this is the case you need to use some hand positioning technique. I personally use (or attempt to use) the "shifty hands" method by which you move your hands one at a time before the turn so that you can keep both hands on the wheel throughout the turn.

izabran Jan 27, 2007 12:23 PM

ok well... take away the autoX and road course... when i'm on the highway racing... i usually grip the wheel really tight at the South East angle of the wheel...lol.. with my left hand... use the right to shift.. and just fly through traffic.. lol... yea...it allows you to turn the wheel with no problem...

w evo Jan 27, 2007 04:19 PM

that isnt quite what i was looking for but...

03_Lancer_ES Jan 27, 2007 04:36 PM

Well, it's kinda hard to say, since most race-cars will have either a small wheel or a quicker steering box, it's hopefully not an issue...

Slowride Jan 27, 2007 05:47 PM

Shifty hands works for me. Practice it in your daily driving and it'll be natural before you realize it.

I keep meaning to start left-foot braking, but that's going to be hard. Gotta get rid of the dead time while moving the right foot from gas to brake.

CoreyR Feb 6, 2007 05:11 AM

Remember... Light hands on the wheel...

Corey #89 STU

EVOB23 Feb 7, 2007 12:51 PM

I think its all about preference or the way it makes it easiest to drive the car.

Slowride Feb 7, 2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by EVOB23 (Post 3948158)
I think its all about preference or the way it makes it easiest to drive the car.

Yes and no. There are multiple "right" ways to handle the wheel, but many more that are just wrong: clumsy, dangerous, or weak. The way you handle the wheel now is probably easiest for you, but it's not necessarily the best. If you're keeping your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock, even while turning, you don't do hand-over-hand, and your arms aren't too straight, you're probably in good shape.

w evo Feb 7, 2007 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by CoreyR (Post 3941924)
Remember... Light hands on the wheel...

Corey #89 STU

Could you elaborate on this a little? I haven't heard this before.

mitsuozboi Feb 7, 2007 07:48 PM

I like 9-3

ambystom01 Feb 8, 2007 01:33 PM

I drive 9 and 3 for the most part, especially when I'm driving more vigorously, but if I'm on the highway at 2 in the morning I usually drive with my left arm resting on the door with my hand at 9 and my right hand on my lap.

DSMorBUST Feb 8, 2007 01:36 PM

9 and 3 over here.... all the time

savaho Feb 8, 2007 01:38 PM

I go for the coolness factor and have one on the wheel while I rest the other behind my head. Pisses off people that I pass.