EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   E85 / Ethanol (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol-225/)
-   -   New Zeitronix ECA - Ethanol Content Analyzer (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol/379153-new-zeitronix-eca-ethanol-content-analyzer.html)

skiracer Nov 2, 2008 05:28 PM

New Zeitronix ECA - Ethanol Content Analyzer

More information here http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.htm

Video of gauge in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsWZVrdpSRI

http://www.zeitronix.com/press/2008....75x1000_c6.jpg

http://www.zeitronix.com/press/ECA_x775_c10.jpg

[img]http://www.zeitronix.com/press/ECA_Gauge_huge_c10.jpg

Check it out Zeitronix at SEMA Booth # 20433
Check out other cool products as well:

http://www.zeitronix.com/press/flyerfront.JPG

http://www.zeitronix.com/press/flyerback.JPG

http://www.zeitronix.com/press/2008....75x1000_c6.jpg

alan678 Nov 2, 2008 05:32 PM

Oh wow....thats awesome!

mplspilot Nov 2, 2008 07:29 PM

Nice! How much?

mrfred Nov 2, 2008 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by mplspilot (Post 6305139)
Nice! How much?

+1

projectevo9 Nov 3, 2008 01:04 AM

Very nice. How much? pls

merkzu Nov 3, 2008 07:46 AM

more info on this? pic doesnt work

skiracer Nov 3, 2008 09:14 AM

Try hitting the Refresh button on your browser

DSMTurbo2 Nov 3, 2008 09:21 AM

so can you integrate this into a stand alone as say... instead of wideband tracking you could have ethanol percentage tracking, and make fueling adjustment as you go? sounds interesting.

Ev0ikon Nov 3, 2008 09:25 AM

I think they should make the input avail for existing LCD AFRM display. It should be possible with a bit tweaking, no?

Evo9tunerz Nov 3, 2008 09:30 AM

That means we would have to get a Flex Fuel sensor, or can we use a different one in our evos?

mplspilot Nov 3, 2008 10:44 AM

^ Yes. One from a junk yard will suffice.

scheides Nov 3, 2008 11:35 AM

+1 on pricing, looks awesome!

skiracer Nov 3, 2008 05:46 PM

Jim in Tucson Nov 3, 2008 06:10 PM

This sounds like a very interesting gizmo to have, but what would knowing the ethonal % accomplish for us that a wideband wouldn't already do?

Actually, every E85 pump should have one of these. Then the pump display could accurately show exactly what is available BEFORE I fill up.

Where I buy E85, the big sign over the pump says "E85" and "105 Octane" in VERY big text. However, the fine print says "minimum 70% ethanol". That is a big range. Having a digital readout showing the ethanol content right on the pump would be a terrific idea.

:mitsu:

compscibOi Nov 3, 2008 06:18 PM

nothing less expected than great products from Zeitronix.

Very nice!

ROCK Nov 3, 2008 06:20 PM

I have seen it demoed in person. Very impressive!

ROAD/RACE:apimp:

mrfred Nov 3, 2008 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson (Post 6309201)
This sounds like a very interesting gizmo to have, but what would knowing the ethonal % accomplish for us that a wideband wouldn't already do?

Wire an analog out from the gauge into the ECU, and then I can write a patch that will interpolate between a pump gas tune and an E85 tune based on ethanol content. I've been meaning to write this patch for the last six months, but haven't gotten around to it.

RazorLab Nov 3, 2008 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred (Post 6309645)
Wire an analog out from the gauge into the ECU, and then I can write a patch that will interpolate between a pump gas tune and an E85 tune based on ethanol content. I've been meaning to write this patch for the last six months, but haven't gotten around to it.

I'd give some financial incentive for something like this for sure. :)

fostytou Nov 4, 2008 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab (Post 6309942)
I'd give some financial incentive for something like this for sure. :)

FOR SURE!

bzzbee2 Nov 4, 2008 09:02 AM

I had heard something amazing would be coming out at SEMA...

mrfred Nov 4, 2008 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 6310981)
FOR SURE!

Maybe I'll put it at the top of my list. :-)

merkzu Nov 4, 2008 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred (Post 6311234)
Maybe I'll put it at the top of my list. :-)

That would be awesome, still hoping for this :beer:

mrfred Nov 4, 2008 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by merkzu (Post 6312033)
That would be awesome, still hoping for this :beer:

Yeah, I guess its time. I'm going to put in a few late nights in the garage getting my ethanol content sensor and gauge wired up. Then I'll begin on the patch.

skiracer Nov 4, 2008 02:37 PM

Woot, Flex Fuel!!!!

RazorLab Nov 4, 2008 02:39 PM

So it sounds like this zeitronix is just the actual gauge and not the actual sensor as well? Or is it both.

It's called "Ethanol Content Analyzer" so it sounds like it is the gauge *and* the sensor but I'm not 100% on that.

skiracer you know?

skiracer Nov 4, 2008 02:44 PM

My understanding its the gauge only for now. I'm not sure if Zeitronix plans on selling the flex fuel sensor or not.

RAbishi Nov 5, 2008 05:45 PM

Very cool

SSS Nov 9, 2008 05:38 AM

How big numbers on the evo X plug in!

skiracer Nov 10, 2008 07:57 PM

Pic of the unit from the SEMA show. Yes my photography skills suck...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2549.jpg

mrfred Nov 10, 2008 08:12 PM

Price?

skiracer Nov 10, 2008 08:20 PM

$199 for the ECA. Should be on Zeitronix's website shortly...

8thWonder Nov 18, 2008 10:00 AM

Great! Is it on their website yet?

TTP Engineering Nov 18, 2008 10:08 AM

It will be added to our site today at:

www.ttp-engineering.com/catalog

8thWonder Nov 18, 2008 10:11 AM

Sounds good! I'll have to pick one up this week.

TTP Engineering Nov 18, 2008 12:44 PM

http://ttp-engineering.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=353

http://ttp-engineering.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=354

RazorLab Nov 18, 2008 12:58 PM

bundle that with the actual ethanol sensor and you're golden.

mrfred Nov 18, 2008 01:02 PM

When I spoke to ZT on the phone a few days ago, they told me that the round gauge wouldn't be immediately available. Did you hear the same?

TTP Engineering Nov 18, 2008 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab (Post 6364493)
bundle that with the actual ethanol sensor and you're golden.

The sensors will be available shortly.

At this time they are available from GM parts department or from junkyard FlexFuel vehicles.

KevOVIII Nov 18, 2008 03:13 PM

So where would you install the sensor (I know it's not available yet)? In the engine bay before it goes into the fuel rail? Where is it on flex vehicles?

TTP Engineering Nov 18, 2008 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by KevOVIII (Post 6365078)
So where would you install the sensor (I know it's not available yet)? In the engine bay before it goes into the fuel rail? Where is it on flex vehicles?

Fuel return hose back into the tank. Not recommended for use in high pressure parts of the fuel system.

mrfred Nov 18, 2008 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by KevOVIII (Post 6365078)

Everyone is installing it in the fuel return line.

KevOVIII Nov 18, 2008 03:25 PM

Gotcha... thanks for the info, guys.

RazorLab Nov 18, 2008 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering (Post 6364678)
The sensors will be available shortly.

At this time they are available from GM parts department or from junkyard FlexFuel vehicles.

I was hoping you guys could get some made for way cheaper than GM sensors are.

Currently the GM sensor (#12570260) via gmpartsdirect.com is $468 with shipping (lists for $661)

$468 + $199 for the gauge = one expensive ($667!!) ethanol content read out.

TTP Engineering Nov 18, 2008 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab (Post 6365650)
I was hoping you guys could get some made for way cheaper than GM sensors are.

Currently the GM sensor (#12570260) via gmpartsdirect.com is $468 with shipping (lists for $661)

$468 + $199 for the gauge = one expensive ($667!!) ethanol content read out.

It will be much less expensive by the time the ECA is ready for shipment.

There is some work going on behind the scenes that will hopefully get pricing on the sensors themselves in a more affordable range.

RazorLab Nov 18, 2008 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering (Post 6365666)
It will be much less expensive by the time the ECA is ready for shipment.

There is some work going on behind the scenes that will hopefully get pricing on the sensors themselves in a more affordable range.

Awesome that's good to hear. I'm going to have to bug croc about it now. ;)

Jim in Tucson Nov 18, 2008 06:19 PM

Why not just ask the station guy (or gal) what they are selling? E70, E85, E(whatever)?

I'm still not getting this thing. What am I missing? I've never heard anyone looking for a gizmo that would tell what octane gasoline their EVO is running - 91, 93, 94, 95, etc. They simply fill up with whatever octane gasoline they want and are tuned for.

Is this simply an answer to a question that no one is really asking? How many of you plan to bounce back and forth between gasoline and E85 anyway? :confused:

It is my understanding that flex fuel vehicles work well simply because they are not tuned for performance at any point in their range of "flex". I presume that in order to "flex" an EVO would also need to be very conservatively tuned. Perhaps I'm simply not understanding what MrFred has in mind.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's craving for a new gizmo. I'm just trying to understand how it would really benefit an EVO owner, over the much less expensive Tephra map swapping functionality.

RazorLab Nov 18, 2008 06:29 PM

Jim, the real power will happen when a true flex fuel mod comes to the Evo. It will interpolate between maps depending on ethanol %. Of course under or over a certain % it will most likely be 100% E85 map or 100% gasoline map.

I believe Mrfred is working on it, so let's shower him with gifts. ;)

whitersevo Nov 18, 2008 06:46 PM

very interesting!! This would solve the problems that I am having of finding a station in the PHX area.

skiracer Nov 18, 2008 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab (Post 6365686)
Awesome that's good to hear. I'm going to have to bug croc about it now. ;)

lol, i've been buggin crock for a while. So long now i think he put my email addy on his spam list... :lol: {pcfreak}

bzzbee2 Nov 18, 2008 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson (Post 6365798)
Why not just ask the station guy (or gal) what they are selling? E70, E85, E(whatever)?

I'm still not getting this thing. What am I missing? I've never heard anyone looking for a gizmo that would tell what octane gasoline their EVO is running - 91, 93, 94, 95, etc. They simply fill up with whatever octane gasoline they want and are tuned for.

Is this simply an answer to a question that no one is really asking? How many of you plan to bounce back and forth between gasoline and E85 anyway? :confused:

It is my understanding that flex fuel vehicles work well simply because they are not tuned for performance at any point in their range of "flex". I presume that in order to "flex" an EVO would also need to be very conservatively tuned. Perhaps I'm simply not understanding what MrFred has in mind.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's craving for a new gizmo. I'm just trying to understand how it would really benefit an EVO owner, over the much less expensive Tephra map swapping functionality.

Think of it this way... you tune the car on e85 (85%) ... then in the winter months many of the pumps will go to lesser concentrations of ethanol. such as E70. I am not exactly sure how different the octane levels are... but lets just assume you tune to run 110 octane. then pump 100 octane into your tank. Your most likely gonna have some issues with the car running smoothly. You may notice the same affect with E85 to E70 or even E80. Knowing the exact amt of ethanol will let you know when you can push the car, or when to dial the boost down a bit. Also, when to re-flash or switch maps...

My question... how is this different than the ethanol gauge that was recently offered in a group buy in the forums. Other than shape and brand name, dont they do the same? Are there other features that i missed?

TTP Engineering Nov 18, 2008 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by bzzbee2 (Post 6366894)
Think of it this way... you tune the car on e85 (85%) ... then in the winter months many of the pumps will go to lesser concentrations of ethanol. such as E70. I am not exactly sure how different the octane levels are... but lets just assume you tune to run 110 octane. then pump 100 octane into your tank. Your most likely gonna have some issues with the car running smoothly. You may notice the same affect with E85 to E70 or even E80. Knowing the exact amt of ethanol will let you know when you can push the car, or when to dial the boost down a bit. Also, when to re-flash or switch maps...

My question... how is this different than the ethanol gauge that was recently offered in a group buy in the forums. Other than shape and brand name, dont they do the same? Are there other features that i missed?

Someone gets the point. {thumbup}

Jim in Tucson Nov 19, 2008 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab (Post 6365837)
Jim, the real power will happen when a true flex fuel mod comes to the Evo. It will interpolate between maps depending on ethanol %. Of course under or over a certain % it will most likely be 100% E85 map or 100% gasoline map.

I do understand what flex fuel functionality is, Bryan. I'm simply trying to understand how this will improve my EVO, or improve my relationships, or make me a better person, or something.

All the people I know with a flex fuel Taurus or Tahoe, etc, only run one fuel or the other. Some owners tried E85, but "didn't like it" for some reason (usual complaint is poor MPG), so they only run gasoline. Others are dedicated conservationist types and will only use E85. I don't know a single owner of a flex fuel vehicle who actually "flexes" their fuel consumption.

mrfred Nov 19, 2008 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson (Post 6367081)
I do understand what flex fuel functionality is, Bryan. I'm simply trying to understand how this will improve my EVO, or improve my relationships, or make me a better person, or something.

All the people I know with a flex fuel Taurus or Tahoe, etc, only run one fuel or the other. Some owners tried E85, but "didn't like it" for some reason (usual complaint is poor MPG), so they only run gasoline. Others are dedicated conservationist types and will only use E85. I don't know a single owner of a flex fuel vehicle who actually "flexes" their fuel consumption.

There are two reasons why I want my tune to follow automatically ethanol content:

1) E85 has limited availability in my part of the country, and when I'm on a road trip, there may be times when I can't find E85 when I need to fill up.

2) Ethanol content in E85 varies with season and with filling station. E85 tunes are very aggressive with AFR, boost, and timing. I like the idea of having a tune that will become less and less aggresive as ethanol content is reduced so that the engine always has a good safety factor.

Zeitronix Nov 19, 2008 08:11 AM

E85 E content varies a lot. It can be as low as E60 and as high as E92. This makes a very big difference in tuning.

merkzu Nov 19, 2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bzzbee2 (Post 6366894)

The displays from the group by do not have analog outputs (unless you were one of the couple of people that got the signal converter)

merkzu Nov 19, 2008 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson (Post 6367081)

I am smack in the middle of E85 country and there are still plenty of times where I would have to go way out of my way to get E85, so I just stop and fill up with premium. My car automatically flips to the 91 octane tune based on my fuel sensor output and I am good to go.

Even when I am filling up with E85 tho, the content changes.. usually between 68% and 82% depending on the time of year and the station I am at.

Hopefully if mrfreds flex fuel patch works out (/nudge) I wont have to run the tank empty before switching fuels, and I wont have to bust out the laptop to deal with the seasonal changes. Everything will "just work"

mrfred Nov 19, 2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by merkzu (Post 6367773)

Hopefully if mrfreds flex fuel patch works out (/nudge) I wont have to run the tank empty before switching fuels, and I wont have to bust out the laptop to deal with the seasonal changes. Everything will "just work"

Having to wait for the empty tank is a PITA.

8thWonder Nov 19, 2008 08:56 AM

I agree. I believe this gauge is necessary because the content could change from station to station. We have several here in Columbia. I've called one of these stations before and the attendant actually told me they didn't sell E85...with the pump right outside with the big E85 placard all over it. So you can see why I wouldn't necessarily trust an attendant's word on the content of their fuel.

I had to get basically retuned coming back to SC from initially getting tuned in Ohio as the content up there apparently was waaay purer than here.

bsh Nov 19, 2008 09:50 AM

Looks very nice!
Are the 2 analog outputs 0-5 V?
Can you scale them as you want?

bzzbee2 Nov 19, 2008 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by merkzu (Post 6367726)
The displays from the group by do not have analog outputs (unless you were one of the couple of people that got the signal converter)

I am completely green to what the analog outputs do. Can you explain what additional functionality this gives me. Thanks{thumbup}

merkzu Nov 19, 2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by bzzbee2 (Post 6368475)
I am completely green to what the analog outputs do. Can you explain what additional functionality this gives me. Thanks{thumbup}

You can run the analog signal to your ECU, so it can make decisions based on ethanol content.

bzzbee2 Nov 19, 2008 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by merkzu (Post 6368664)
You can run the analog signal to your ECU, so it can make decisions based on ethanol content.

Very cool! so the toggle switch will no longer be needed... Just pump and go

skiracer Dec 5, 2008 10:52 PM

website URL on the ECA added to the first post...

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.htm

RazorLab Dec 5, 2008 10:55 PM

Still need a cheap sensor solution. The GM Sensor is $350 + $70 shipping still :(

Over $600 for a E85 content gauge is bleh...

Zeitronix Dec 6, 2008 08:09 AM

We are working with GM to get FF sensors in bulk and pass savings to you.
Also, junk yard sensors seams to be working just fine.

mdsevo06 Dec 16, 2008 01:09 PM

I ran into. a situation where this guage would have been very usefull. In SD there's only two station that carry E85, with sticker on them that say Min. 85% Ethanol. I took a road trip up to Santa Barbara this past weekend, and the only station on the way, is in Santa Monica (Conserv Fuel). Now there pump sticker says Min. 70% Ethanol. Call the main office and was told, you can only buy 85% Ethanol in the State of California. It's nice to here that, but I would have felt better if I looked at my guage to see the truth.
Looking forward to a resonable priced package, you can plug and play.

skiracer Dec 16, 2008 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mdsevo06 (Post 6472721)
I ran into. a situation where this guage would have been very usefull. In SD there's only two station that carry E85, with sticker on them that say Min. 85% Ethanol. I took a road trip up to Santa Barbara this past weekend, and the only station on the way, is in Santa Monica (Conserv Fuel). Now there pump sticker says Min. 70% Ethanol. Call the main office and was told, you can only buy 85% Ethanol in the State of California. It's nice to here that, but I would have felt better if I looked at my guage to see the truth.
Looking forward to a resonable priced package, you can plug and play.

The fuel there has been at E92 levels before...

mdsevo06 Dec 16, 2008 03:10 PM

That could explain the Cold Start symtoms I was having, after starting it the next morning. As long as they don't sell anything less then 85% Ethanol. This is were this guage will shine.

8thWonder Jan 8, 2009 08:00 AM

Any updates on a sensor solution for our cars and these ethanol content gauges?

skiracer Jan 20, 2009 04:59 PM

Look wut i got today {thumbup} Sorry for the bad photo skillz

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2737.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2740.jpg

[IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2741.jpg[/IMG]

ECA ghetto wired to my battery just to make sure it works
[IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2742.jpg[/IMG]

bzzbee2 Jan 20, 2009 08:33 PM

Its a great tool. Just a bit to expensive. Im waiting to see who else will make something like this?

skiracer Jan 23, 2009 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 6592957)
Look wut i got today {thumbup} Sorry for the bad photo skillz

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2737.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2740.jpg

[IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2741.jpg[/IMG]

ECA ghetto wired to my battery just to make sure it works
[IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2742.jpg[/IMG]

I'll be wiring this unit properly sometime this weekend. I'll take some pics when i'm done. :beer:

Jim in Tucson Jan 23, 2009 09:18 PM

^^^^^^^^
Simon, I don't understand the readout. It appears to be saying "E5E". It looks great; I simply don't comprehend it. :confused:

evodood Jan 23, 2009 09:26 PM

Looks like it says ESEn as in E sensor, as in sensor error cause its not pluged in. to me ;)

Zeitronix Jan 23, 2009 10:39 PM

evodood, bingo!
When the sensor is not connected the gauge displays ESEn, and in fuel temperature mode SEnF or SEnC depends on units selected.

evodood Jan 23, 2009 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zeitronix (Post 6606697)
evodood, bingo!
When the sensor is not connected the gauge displays ESEn, and in fuel temperature mode SEnF or SEnC depends on units selected.

I have your zt-2 so i guess I'm just used to you doing things that make sense. :D

Zeitronix Jan 23, 2009 10:47 PM

So you have seen the dark side of the force. Makes sense :)

Jim in Tucson Jan 24, 2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zeitronix (Post 6606697)
evodood, bingo!

DUH! That makes sense. Thanks.

skiracer Jan 24, 2009 07:36 PM

You can see the GM Flex Fuel sensor in the last pic if you look carefully which is installed to the fuel return lines, but not connected to the ECA yet . Good thing no one noticed it at first glance since i made it a "California Stealth Edition" sensor. :D

GST Motorsports Jan 25, 2009 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 6609299)
You can see the GM Flex Fuel sensor in the last pic if you look carefully which is installed to the fuel return lines, but not connected to the ECA yet . Good thing no one noticed it at first glance since i made it a "California Stealth Edition" sensor. :D

So, have you found a source to get those sensors for less than $475 yet?

skiracer Jan 26, 2009 02:40 PM

Ok got it connected now. I was on 91 octane and ran the gas tank low. I filled up on 12 gallons of E85. I drove for a few days and filled up another 12 gallons of E85 at ConserveFuel in Los Angeles. Here's the results:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2798.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2799.jpg

Short video of the ECA in action

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Z...ent_548478.htm

bzzbee2 Jan 26, 2009 03:48 PM

Fantastic. Thanks for the update! I was kinda wondering about the quality there.

Jim in Tucson Jan 26, 2009 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 6615316)
I filled up on 12 gallons of E85. I drove for a few days and filled up another 12 gallons of E85 at ConserveFuel in Los Angeles.

What does ConserveFuel tell you they are selling? IOW, were you fully expecting it to be E70?

skiracer Jan 26, 2009 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson (Post 6616733)
What does ConserveFuel tell you they are selling? IOW, were you fully expecting it to be E70?

The guy at the register barely speaks english. So, i didn't bother asking {thumbdwn}

bzzbee2 Jan 26, 2009 11:59 PM

well.. The E70 is essentially the Tier III mix. aka winter blend. the question is how long it will take for the tanks at the station to come back up to E85

skiracer Jan 29, 2009 04:31 PM

Er, i had the ECA wired incorrectly. I suck at electrical wiring. Anyways, I wired it correctly and its now reading E92 now. Here's the results and a short video of it in action:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2798.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...edIMG_2799.jpg

Video in action

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Z...ent_548478.htm

Jim in Tucson Jan 29, 2009 08:06 PM

Thanks Simon. Very slick. I will add the Ethanol Content Analyzer to my wish list.

Now, about that EVO owner bail out package. BWAHAHAHAAA!

merkzu Jan 29, 2009 08:21 PM

looks nice man. 92% doesn't sound right though, but that is pretty awesome if its correct. The best I have ever seen around here is 82%

bzzbee2 Jan 29, 2009 09:19 PM

Even if it does not read exactly it will still provide some type of baseline.

Zeitronix Jan 30, 2009 09:56 AM

The ECA shows whatever the flex fuel sensor outputs. We have tested several FF sensors with benchmarked E blends, the sensors were within one point of a target. Our local E station had this E92-E93 for a while. The fuel does not even smell like gas anymore. I think Simon is still on high E blend from them.

andrewzaragoza Jan 31, 2009 10:57 AM

how hard is it to install a flex fuel sensor? is this something you have to put inline or something you have to put in the tank? Maybe the ones who have installed one would help the community and create a how to thread.:D

also, doesn't the zt2 have a 5v user input? can't we use that to display what the ff sensor is reading?

merkzu Feb 1, 2009 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza (Post 6636008)
how hard is it to install a flex fuel sensor? is this something you have to put inline or something you have to put in the tank? Maybe the ones who have installed one would help the community and create a how to thread.:D

also, doesn't the zt2 have a 5v user input? can't we use that to display what the ff sensor is reading?

It goes inline, most people stick it on the fuel return line. The zt2 does have a user input but the sensor doesn't output 0-5v analog so you need to convert it first. I had it set up that way for a while and it worked alright.

Zeitronix Feb 1, 2009 02:20 PM

merkzu, right on the $. Flex fuel sensor has it's own way of outputting E% and fuel temp. This is where ECA gauge comes to play. The ECA has two 0-5V outputs for E% and fuel temperature.
Yes, the easiest way to mount the flex fuel sensor is in the return line, this way it's on the low pressure side of the system. Much safer, but still check for fuel leaks!

andrewzaragoza Feb 1, 2009 03:05 PM

i see. thanks. has anyone tried this sensor? http://www.oehq.com/acdelco-parts_21...l%20Sensor.htm

GST Motorsports Feb 1, 2009 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza (Post 6639701)
i see. thanks. has anyone tried this sensor? http://www.oehq.com/acdelco-parts_21...l%20Sensor.htm

Yes that is the GM flex fuel sensor, unfortunatly it costs over $400 after shipping, etc.

skiracer Feb 3, 2009 09:47 PM

I see a used flex fuel sensor on ebay right now

heingtaing Feb 7, 2009 07:31 PM

any updates on special pricing for the flex fuel sensors?

Zeitronix Mar 17, 2009 01:39 PM

We are working with the manufacture on a bulk flex fuel sensor purchase and we will pass savings to you.
The ECA is available now:
http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm#ECA

skiracer Mar 17, 2009 03:57 PM

About time!!!

TTP Engineering Mar 17, 2009 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zeitronix (Post 6821474)
We are working with the manufacture on a bulk flex fuel sensor purchase and we will pass savings to you.
The ECA is available now:
http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm#ECA

But you will need to find the flexfuel sensor elsewhere until this bulk buy goes through. The ECA is for the display only.