Notices
ECU Flash

KnockSum vs. external Knock Monitoring Device

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KnockSum vs. external Knock Monitoring Device

Just wondering if KnockSum is sufficient for monitoring knocks while tuning a car?

I also have an HKS Knock Amp and just wondering if I should use this one in conjunction with KnockSum. Although the setup (placement of knock microphone) is not too difficult but it's still quite a hassle.

So if KnockSum is sufficient then I wouldn't bother with installing the HKS Knock Amp.

Thank you very much.
Old May 5, 2007, 12:30 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Knock sum is sufficient.
Old May 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock knock sensor/ecu is going to do a very good job of filtering to get you accurate knock counts. I seriously doubt any 3rd party hardware is going to best the Mitsu engineers on their own car.
Old May 5, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, the stock knock sensor and it's protocols are very suffucient in hearing pre-ignition/detonation. The knock sensor is actually very very sensitive and can hear the slightest sign of knock, before it can be audibly heard. As a matter of fact, there have been only a few instances that i actually heard knock in conjunction with a knock sum. From being a tuner, my ears are always listening for knock, especially since the majority of the engines i tune are Hondas, and most have much less sensitive knock micorphones. Sometimes, the knock sensor on the EVO is a little too cautious/sensitive. This is a good thing for tuning, bad for phantom knock issues, where aftermarket parts are imployed in the engine and around the engine bay.

There are knock sensitivity filters that are accesible from ECUflash in your ROMs, but i seriously don't reccomend anybody mess with these at all, unless you have a lot of knowledge on how this particular knock sensor works, frequncies tuned for, it's parameter and suffucicent knowledge in the calibration values themselves.

Anyway, its very safe to say that the stock knock sensor and it's protocols are very effective.

CJ
Old May 5, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you all... in that case i wouldn't bother with my HKS knock amp then
Old May 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by erggy
Thank you all... in that case i wouldn't bother with my HKS knock amp then
you're welcome, I'd sell that and put the money toward something else
Old May 6, 2007, 07:33 AM
Account Disabled

One thing that Mitsubishi did very well with the Evo Ecu's was knock control and filtering. Using a good Logger, such as MitsuLogger, and looking at the knocksum will be good enough for your tuning needs.

The neat thing that I use commonly when tuning AEM, Motec, Autronic, (or any pnp standalone) is setting up the Check Engine Light or another user installed light to come on above a defined knock limit (voltage). This lets me know if something drastically changed all of a sudden when tuning or just driving. I have had an injector fail (only working intermitantly) and caused the engine to start knocking on my personal car, and the knock light told me right away.

This is an advantage of a Standalone, or aftermarket knock unit, although I beleive it is possible to make the factory ecu do this. I will work on it with some of the developers and see if we can get something in order.
Old May 6, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KDeiwert
One thing that Mitsubishi did very well with the Evo Ecu's was knock control and filtering. Using a good Logger, such as MitsuLogger, and looking at the knocksum will be good enough for your tuning needs.

The neat thing that I use commonly when tuning AEM, Motec, Autronic, (or any pnp standalone) is setting up the Check Engine Light or another user installed light to come on above a defined knock limit (voltage). This lets me know if something drastically changed all of a sudden when tuning or just driving. I have had an injector fail (only working intermitantly) and caused the engine to start knocking on my personal car, and the knock light told me right away.

This is an advantage of a Standalone, or aftermarket knock unit, although I beleive it is possible to make the factory ecu do this. I will work on it with some of the developers and see if we can get something in order.
That is very interesting!! If you ever get one of those for std ECUs pls let me know. I used to have that ability with my previous car Evo6TME on hYdra EMS. Miss it.
Old May 6, 2007, 08:07 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by erggy
That is very interesting!! If you ever get one of those for std ECUs pls let me know. I used to have that ability with my previous car Evo6TME on hYdra EMS. Miss it.
Will do!

Send me a pm, or checkout my website for me email and email me so I have your contact if I get it worked out with the factory ecu.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, yes...... just about every standalone ECU allows a knock light to be used of some sort. The most common is the MIL(check engine light). There are some ROM patches that Bez was working on for a knock light. I'm not sure if he ever got it worked out or if he was able to use the MIL....but either way, some progress was made.

I miss not having a knock light....

CJ
Old May 1, 2013, 04:09 PM

BUMP.

I know this is not the topic but, after read this anyone know how i can make to the check engine light works like knock alert in the aem v2??
Old May 4, 2013, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or can i solder a 2 wires external led to the check engine light on the meter panel directly on my Evo 5 as it will give a better view if i could put the led on top of the dash while im focusing on the road.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Roberto774
BUMP.

I know this is not the topic but, after read this anyone know how i can make to the check engine light works like knock alert in the aem v2??
does the aem even have knock control
Old May 6, 2013, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you fear you may end up with bad knock when trying something and do no trust knock sum, also log knock base and knock adc processed
adc is supposed to be under or at the same level of base but when you have real serious knock you'll see HUGE spikes of adc processed

tephra v7 offers a cel-on-knock programmable feature, don't know if there's an evo 7 version tough
Old May 6, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kakihara
if you fear you may end up with bad knock when trying something and do no trust knock sum, also log knock base and knock adc processed
adc is supposed to be under or at the same level of base but when you have real serious knock you'll see HUGE spikes of adc processed

tephra v7 offers a cel-on-knock programmable feature, don't know if there's an evo 7 version tough
posted 2007 and there was even then for evo7 90550001

Quick Reply: KnockSum vs. external Knock Monitoring Device