Notices
ECU Flash

NLTS(No Lift To Shift) For Beginners

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see the point of this mod. Know your limitations. If you cannot afford to overhaul every few years don't be powershifting all over the place. If you want a powershift then powershift. Nobody is going to argue Tephra's capabilities, but this was just one issue that didn't need fixing IMHO.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, I tried it but it slowed me down and caused more missed shifts...admittedly I didn't' spend much time adjusting the settings. Seems I was waiting what seemed like forever for the power to return after a shift.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hate the 'man up' and free rev your engine response. I feel its a feature that is useful and has earned its merit by more people than those who 'can't figure it out'. Its an option, one that can be ignored if you choose not to use it. It works, been proven time and again to gain improvements for the average guy who can't make a ton of passes at a track to learn how to do it the old school way. Its much safer on the car than the old school way IMO, though not as efficient as the old school way,admittedly.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Sep 1, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:07 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Old School NLTS'ing is sweet but not for the average Joe. Tephra's is a good compromise between Old School NLTS and full lift to shifiting.
^Point of thread and original mod.

Originally Posted by MrMeaner
I don't see the point of this mod. Know your limitations. If you cannot afford to overhaul every few years don't be powershifting all over the place. If you want a powershift then powershift. Nobody is going to argue Tephra's capabilities, but this was just one issue that didn't need fixing IMHO.
GO read my post again. With practice it is smooth as silk and nicer on your trans than a regular fast shift and certainly nicer than a powershift.

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
I agree, I tried it but it slowed me down and caused more missed shifts...admittedly I didn't' spend much time adjusting the settings. Seems I was waiting what seemed like forever for the power to return after a shift.
Practice practice practice, just like with powershifting. The difference is, I haven't pulled the trans off of my car in almost 3 years (I also don't launch the car), yet I continue to woop up on supercharged v8's on frumrolls

Last edited by scheides; Sep 1, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

LOL guys, I remember when schiedes and kracka put that on my car last year and I had a little trouble with it. I will need to try this again real soon.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Its awkward at first, but once you get it down you'll love it and it becomes just as natural feeling as traditional shifting.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been a lil timid in trying this feature out, as Im so used to the normal way, I have always shifted, but I might take some time this weekend to play w/ it...
Im sure it will take some getting used to...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 06:37 PM

I played with this but it was causing shift knock. I have not had the chance to tune it out so I turned nlts off. I can shift just as fast lifting anyway, although this feature is very nice when using a larger turbo. I use it w/DSMLink in my Talon and it helped my ET quite a bit.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bsmart82
I played with this but it was causing shift knock. I have not had the chance to tune it out so I turned nlts off. I can shift just as fast lifting anyway, although this feature is very nice when using a larger turbo. I use it w/DSMLink in my Talon and it helped my ET quite a bit.
Its pretty easy to tune out any shift knock with smoother timing curves in the load area where the shift occurs.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I disabled it after I had a glitch with it... basically it was enabling NLTS on its own (as in the throttle plate was closing) without depressing the clutch at 7000 rpm, scared the **** outta me as it was at the track... I don't ride the clutch either
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
throttle plate doesn't close... thats the whole point.

anyways you should check how sensitive the clutch switch is by doing the garage test... then if its too sensitive you can use foam or something to hold the switch closed for a bit longer...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
throttle plate doesn't close... thats the whole point.

anyways you should check how sensitive the clutch switch is by doing the garage test... then if its too sensitive you can use foam or something to hold the switch closed for a bit longer...
It looked as if it was as it was going back into vaccuum on its own and the timing was increased to +36 according to the logs... I may try it again pretty soon, I just got done with a bunch of new stuff with the car and need to retune, and I only have to change a blobitt anyway...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 06:56 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I bet you $50 you were touching the clutch pedal with your left foot, i.e. common problem #1 in my post. Most people tell me there is no way in hell they were and then I tell them to do whatever they just did again, and their foot is hovering right over the pedal, and sometimes even touching it. Try adjusting the switch like tephra suggested above.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Most people tell me there is no way in hell they were...
COUNTLESS times I see people profess their innocence only to find out that its true. I was one of them at first too,lol. A feather weight can trip that sucker.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice thread as always guys

never tried it but i think i a need to.

dont know what is all the fuss with respect to damaging the 6 speed gearbox? from my perspective this should reduce " the banging" effect when lifting shifting....

guess my thoughts are off?

Quick Reply: NLTS(No Lift To Shift) For Beginners