Notices
ECU Flash

Ticking noise with loss of power and phantom knock..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you turn the knock sensor off?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Edited because I'm an idiot. :P

Last edited by Raptord; Apr 5, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awddyno
I'm talking about going directly to the intake track. I know it's part of the intake manifold. But egr valve has to open first to go to the intake track. So the boost leak will not show it since the valve is normally closed.

I wasn't aware you can turn off the knock sensor. So you confirmed that's it's phantom knock?
Is the ticking noise still around?
Yes. I did the "max knock count" rom mod.. it allows you to adjust how many counts of knock the ecu will listen for. Its a 1D map that ranges from 0 to 36. I set it at 0 to disable the knock sensor.

The ticking sound is still there.. the car pulls hard but is backfiring/misfiring for some reason. I will find out whether the fuel system has anything to do with it? Ill plug in a w/b tomorrow to figure out some more info hopefully
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Just unplug it. AFAIK there's no other way.
Unplugging it will put the car in limp mode.. there is a ROM mod that will allow you to adjust the knock sensor count reading.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Pull the valve cover and make sure the cam bolts are tightened to the correct torque spec. Make sure the rockers are properly seated.
The noise was there before and after I removed my cosworth 272s and installed stock cams along with the TTP nonticking lifters..

The sound seems to pulse at the same time at the injectors which leads me to think its fuel pressure related. I've heard fpr's ticking pretty loudly..
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by amak87
Unplugging it will put the car in limp mode.. there is a ROM mod that will allow you to adjust the knock sensor count reading.
Thanks for correcting me. I have edited my reply to reflect my stupidity
Old Apr 6, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

So can anyone else chime in with ideas? Has anyone ever had fuel pressure regulator problems?? Ticking fprs??
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am having the same issue sounds like if the valve lash was wayyy off. Got worse after kelford 272's its verry annoying
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try bleeding the lifters.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

I've had this same exact problem for months after I put on cams. decided my tiing was off and have redone it numerous times with same results. Adjusted my mivec map and redid timing again. Worked for three days and built knock back up again. Ihit 36 cts between 25-2800 rpm. Then it got to the point where approaching boost it would knock. got it driveable now by turning mivec map down around those load cells.
I also can hear a tick, sounds like around uicp or something. I kinda doubt its causing my knock though. Car still feels sluggish even though its not knocking.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

i feel like my car was ticking a little before the cam install but the car may have had cams before i owned it but who knows, any way how can i tell if a lifter is bad and or needs replacement?
also a bad rod bearing would sound more like a clunking no? beacuse the tick seems to be right in line with the rest of the valvetrain noise just louder.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

ok i pulled the cams bled the lifters. re did every thing and still the tick. i also tried bringing each piston to just below tdc and used a small rod to lightly apply preasure to the top of each piston to see if there was any play in the bearings but it all felt real tight. car has 22k on it. how else can i tell if there is a bearing issue??
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

also the car is nocking a little only in first gear on accel but other wise no knock car has never felt stronger after figuring out the 3port boost.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

have you tried changing the knock sensor?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did anyone figure this out yet?

Mine is making the same noise after a backfire racing it at the track. I'm pretty sure its the plastic intake gasket leaking around the EGR port plus I'm running the Magnus intake.

Noise is coming round around where the EGR use to be.

Its a very loud exhaust tick. Car now sounds like a pile of crap since you can hear this sound 50 yards away when its driving on the road.

If it turns out to be what I think it is, I'm plugging off the EGR port in the head.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise with loss of power and phantom knock..