EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   got new flash uploaded... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/204994-got-new-flash-uploaded.html)

EiEVO Jun 6, 2006 04:48 PM

got new flash uploaded...

well got my new flash loaded and still have a lean idle...lean like 16.8+ off the scale. And before the engine is wam it goes lean if under 15% throttle and cuts out. Im not dumb when it comes to altering the fuel maps but on the other hand its not my place to be especailly when i paid for the flash.

Whats everyone's inputs or suggestions?

hondafan Jun 6, 2006 05:42 PM

so you're saying that this is after loading one of Al's EFlashes? oh no! i hope these maps al is selling are reliable and problem free because i was hoping to purchase one as my final tune as i'm not really comfortable tuning myself yet. this is the first i've heard of a problem with al's maps using ECUFlash, hopefully it's the last. :eek:

AlwaysinBoost Jun 6, 2006 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by EiEVO
well got my new flash loaded and still have a lean idle...lean like 16.8+ off the scale. And before the engine is wam it goes lean if under 15% throttle and cuts out. Im not dumb when it comes to altering the fuel maps but on the other hand its not my place to be especailly when i paid for the flash.

Whats everyone's inputs or suggestions?

at startup I am seeing 15.7-15.8 AFR. Once I give the throttle a blip it settels down to 14.6-14.7.

Are you sure there are no exhaust leaks before the WB sensor?

DynoFlash Jun 6, 2006 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by hondafan
so you're saying that this is after loading one of Al's EFlashes? oh no! i hope these maps al is selling are reliable and problem free because i was hoping to purchase one as my final tune as i'm not really comfortable tuning myself yet. this is the first i've heard of a problem with al's maps using ECUFlash, hopefully it's the last. :eek:

Please, hold the ketchup !

We are talking about his idle

he could have an exhuast leak or improper o2 sesnor placement etc

All he would have to do is adjust the fueling in idle assuming his reading is accurate

BTW - did you read his mods ????

Tial BOV - big idle problems with a race VTA bov

EiEVO Jun 6, 2006 06:47 PM

I have no leaks. stock turbo & o2 housing. The WB is about 6" from the turbo. Right after the DP bends. And yes the sensor is accurate. Its brand spankin new..Bosch 5 wire for aem uego. I know its reading correctly. .. Its about the same a/f/r it was when i had just a mail in flash. A little more lean at idle and a little more rich @ WOT under a load. I really dont have any complaints. Just hope that i could get the accel under 15% throttle fixed and a little more rich at idle.

I know for fact the bov is not leaking, and i have pressure tested the ic & piping for leaks. all i could test it for was 42 psi...and all is well. I didnt just jump on here to throw a fit and complain. Just wanted to know what the other users have to say and maybe their a/f was simillar.

djmikeymike Jun 6, 2006 06:56 PM

6 inchs from the turbo is to close........ your wideband should be right before the cat @ 12 o'clock

EiEVO Jun 6, 2006 07:02 PM

acutally the only thing it will do is burn the sensor up faster.....and i suppose if i went out there with a measuring tape i would find it farther away than 6" because its after the bend on the DP so if i were to go measure it again it should be further back. it doesnt really matter what angle the 02 is as long as the exhaust gases have direction of flow being not directly after a bend. so as long as the sensor is in all the way to get good flow around it. it should be just fine.

Correct me if im wrong.

EiEVO Jun 6, 2006 07:04 PM

one more thing i might add... if it was reading inncorrectly then how would it cut out when the engine is not warmed up and below 15% throttle and the WB shows lean.

chmodlf Jun 6, 2006 07:04 PM

Or at 2 or 10 o'clock right before the cat.

Gabriel J Jun 6, 2006 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by hondafan

I have one of his flashes, and it idles 14.5-15.0 perfectly....with my hks 272's.

EiEVO Here's my simple suggestions.

1. You should learn that a wideband sensor is not meant to be mounted 6" from a turbo. Read your AEM UEGO install intructions. 36" from turbo.

2. You should also learn to use private communication before you come crying out on the forum. Don't ruin a good thing (Al offering EFlash!) by being too stupid to use it properly.

-Gabe

Forgot to add. VTA is for idiots or standalone/speed density.

djmikeymike Jun 6, 2006 07:20 PM

This is strait from the Innovate LC-1 Manual with the Bosch Wideband Sensor

"Do NOT install the Bung below the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position.
Condensation can form in the exhaust pipe and permanently damage the sensor.
6 o’clock is the absolute worst position to mount the sensor."

"The maximum temperature of the sensor at the bung (the sensor hexagon)
should not exceed 500 oC or 900 oF. If these temperatures are exceeded in your
application you should either install a copper heat sink (instructions below) or the
Innovate Motorsports Heat-Sink Bung extender (HBX-1).
The bung extender is recommended for situations where airflow is restricted or
the encountered heat is higher than a heat sink can handle."

EiEVO Jun 6, 2006 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel J
I have one of his flashes, and it idles 14.5-15.0 perfectly....with my hks 272's.

EiEVO Here's my simple suggestions.

1. You should learn that a wideband sensor is not meant to be mounted 6" from a turbo. Read you AEM UEGO install intructions.

2. You should also learn to use private communication before you come crying out on the forum. Don't ruin a good thing (Al offering EFlash!) by being too stupid to use it properly.

-Gabe

Forgot to add. VTA is for idiots or standalone/speed density.

1. Im not an idiot
2. Ruin eflash....? LOL
3. I install aem UEGOs just about daily..... I have been to hawthorne, CA for aem EMS class and i have been using AEM EMS for about 3 yrs now. Look up on their dealer search. Extreme Imports, Springfield mo. yea. not that it matters to anyone on here but i own the shop. As for the wideband...I think they say 1.5" or so but thats so they dont have issues with the heat killing the sensors. It woulnt be incorrect with it there. But i have never had issues as long as its about a foot or so after the turbo. Im new to the evo scene and thought i would give AL's experience and ecuflash a try. Its not anything like a full stand alone like the ems so i dont want to jump right in on my $30,000 car.. I thought i would give it a whirl and see what i come up with with his flash. . . And in no way shape or form am i mad or upset with al. The only reason why i posted this question for everyone else to read is to see if their flash has their vehicle reading above a 16.5 a/f/r at idle. I know it wont hurt the car just from what im used to: it dont like it and i would prefer to have it a little fatter. Thats all..But if everone elses a/f/r was this lean then i suppose i should believe that its his way of tuning. No big deal...I will just have to mess with the software a little to fatten it up a bit. I havent even looked thru the software and such. Its my daily driver and i perfered to keep the stock ecu and mods pretty simple so the stand alone isnt a must have situation.

I suppose i will learn the software and tune it myself. No big deal. I expected everyone to jump me on this.

DynoFlash Jun 6, 2006 08:13 PM

Since the idle is closed loop controlled it would be abnormal to have a very lean a/f reading with stock injectors - unless

There is a vac (boost) leak

The air filter is distorting the maf sesnor reading

or

the reading is not accurate

I would like to add that the E FLASH! is a base map inteneded to be generaly helpful in setting up your car and will in 99.999 % of cases actually run a car with typical mods without any adjustment what so ever

Once you have a E FLASH! installed you should be able to just fine tune the a/f ratio with a global fueling adjustment and the tune should be dead on

chrisw Jun 6, 2006 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by EiEVO
acutally the only thing it will do is burn the sensor up faster.....and i suppose if i went out there with a measuring tape i would find it farther away than 6" because its after the bend on the DP so if i were to go measure it again it should be further back. it doesnt really matter what angle the 02 is as long as the exhaust gases have direction of flow being not directly after a bend. so as long as the sensor is in all the way to get good flow around it. it should be just fine.

Correct me if im wrong.

I think my LC-1 WB sensor recommended that it be placed 8" to 10" from the turbo, which in all practical terms means installing it right before the cat.

But like you said, all you will do is shorten the life of the sensor. If you are OK with that, well... umm... ok... :thumbup:

EiEVO Jun 6, 2006 08:37 PM

at one time i thought there might of been a boost leak but i was unsure and still am.. But anyways i ended up changing out the couplers and from worm clamps to t-bolt clamps. But yea anyways.. i will fine tune it and see how it goes. I'll try to get a grasp of the charts and maps.. I took look at it for a minute but is there a way to pull the tables up in graph form?