EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   Knock Problems (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/334698-knock-problems.html)

BerserkerX Mar 26, 2008 08:03 PM

Knock Problems

Ok I am having problems on knock with my car Its happening up top around six thousand to redline. Sometimes it happens down low around 3 to 4 thousand. The big problem with this is I dont know why its knocking I cant figure it out. The car is in good service and everthing like that. I am in Utah so I am stuck with 91 octane for that part. But the biggest problem I am having with all of this is my car refuses to drop octane and retard timing it will not go to lower octane maps.:confused: I have seen counts of 10 on the car sometimes a little higher but it will not lower octane and it will not even go to lower boost maps that I have. Please any help on this would be great thank you

el brusco Mar 26, 2008 08:22 PM

Did you baught it used??? Maybe previous owner changed all three maps to high octane...(it's all I can think of hope this helps)

BerserkerX Mar 26, 2008 08:36 PM

No I bought it new with only like 8 miles on it. I looked at the ignition maps and they are different afrs, ignition timing, and boost it should all lower if it knocks but it wont. I have a TBE, O2 housing, intake, and a torque damper so just small things done now. Thanks for the help though hope i can get it figured out soon...

RoadSpike Mar 26, 2008 11:49 PM

Whats your intake and was it tuned for it?

When i put on my intake it made my high reving loads larger and i hadn't tuned for that area resulting in knock ;)

BerserkerX Mar 27, 2008 04:09 PM

I have an AEM intake and yeah I tuned it using maf scaling and all fuel trims are at 100 currently. This may be a dumn question but should I post up a copy of my Ignition maps. If so I cant figure out how to copy the image to get it posted. Btw It looks like where the knock is according to evoscan timing advance doesnt match my maps in that area of load and rpms. Would that be the problem??? When I say it doesnt match I mean its higher in some spots by 4 or 5 than what the maps read.

RoadSpike Mar 27, 2008 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BerserkerX (Post 5465588)
I have an AEM intake and yeah I tuned it using maf scaling and all fuel trims are at 100 currently. This may be a dumn question but should I post up a copy of my Ignition maps. If so I cant figure out how to copy the image to get it posted. Btw It looks like where the knock is according to evoscan timing advance doesnt match my maps in that area of load and rpms. Would that be the problem??? When I say it doesnt match I mean its higher in some spots by 4 or 5 than what the maps read.

Are you using 2byte load?

If not post a map and a log and i could probably trace it by hand for you :lol:

BerserkerX Mar 28, 2008 12:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I have two byte load on and this is the map that I currently have i am looking at a map my friend sent me for the last time he tuned me which might be the map i am thinking of reverting to.

Mellon Racing Mar 28, 2008 03:57 AM

simply put, you need to get a good tune for the mods/boost/octane

jmelocik Mar 28, 2008 04:28 AM

Go with a Mellon E-Flash! He is second to none on the e-mail tuning and I would put against any of the local "Shops" that claim to know how to dyno tune. He helped me dial in my injectors and mods tuned for little or no knock and is very patient with my ignorance and explains things as we go.

Josh

:usflag:

sharkm87 Mar 28, 2008 04:39 AM

MFTMFW!!

thats mellon ftmfw!!...and yes, great experienced tuner that answers any and all of your questions as you go.

RoadSpike Mar 28, 2008 09:28 AM

Strange that map looks mostly untuned except for the 180 and 200 load columns. Looks like someone copied parts of the 160 load column over which isn't neccessarily a good idea. On top of that it seems like the mid range of the engine high load points are untouched.

Should look more like this

Stolen blatently from the how to tune thread:
http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/timing.gif

BerserkerX Mar 28, 2008 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the new map that after doing a few pulls and little bit of looking around at some other maps with similair mods that i have came up with so far no big problems with know seen slight knock at top but its better than what it was its a working progress but you were right spike that map was not much different from stock mostly just tuned at 220 240 range. I never hit above 265 load for the most part and thats not till 3500 should I still tune that mid rpm high load area?? If I cant figure it out then yes mellon it is :lol:

Mellon Racing Mar 28, 2008 01:23 PM

/me waits patiently :lol:

BerserkerX Mar 28, 2008 01:33 PM

Mellon I am not asking you to give up any secrets but I am going off of a cam theory I found online can I pm you my map and tell me what you think you dont have to tell me how to tune lol just what you think. And i have a few questions about the whole process of sending in my ecu to have it tuned.

Ph3n1x Mar 28, 2008 01:33 PM

Consider finding a tuner who will set your car straight. There are many Tuners on this site. No matter your choice, Mellon is among one of good tuners on this site.