EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   GM BCS users: Are you using a 10 ohm resistor in series with BCS? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/371754-gm-bcs-users-you-using-10-ohm-resistor-series-bcs.html)

mrfred Sep 26, 2008 05:19 PM

GM BCS users: Are you using a 10 ohm resistor in series with BCS?

GM boost control solenoid users: Are you using a 10 ohm resistor in series with the GM BCS to match the circuit resistance to the OEM BCS? If no, how long have you been running without a resistor?

MR Turco Sep 26, 2008 05:40 PM

I have the resistor installed.

logic Sep 26, 2008 06:34 PM

I've been using a 10ohm resistor since I installed the GM BCS originally. I suspect most folks running a GM BCS have wired it up per this thread's advice, so you may have some difficulty locating someone running it without.

WRC-LVR Sep 26, 2008 06:45 PM

Definitely with 10 ohm resistor.

Milburn

tephra Sep 26, 2008 06:46 PM

I used whatever resistor was spec'd in the thread :)

Kracka Sep 26, 2008 07:22 PM

I have a resistor. Its so cheap and easy, why risk it?

mchuang Sep 26, 2008 07:41 PM

I use to run a 10ohm resistor, when i had the GM solenoid hooked up. According to the subie guys using the resistor could cause some voltage drop slightly.

cpoevo Sep 26, 2008 09:35 PM

I run a 10 ohm 1 watt resistor

fostytou Sep 27, 2008 07:30 AM

I'm running the AEM/MAC with a resistor.

The reason he is asking is because yes, it can cause voltage drop. This means that your 70hz might actually be something like 60hz with the solenoid not having enough power to fully switch sometimes at high speed/frequency.

mchuang Sep 27, 2008 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 6164661)

The reason he is asking is because yes, it can cause voltage drop. This means that your 70hz might actually be something like 60hz with the solenoid not having enough power to fully switch sometimes at high speed/frequency.

The Ingersol Rand is about 37ohms just for reference no resistor and cheap :)

RazorLab Sep 27, 2008 04:32 PM

we have a couple track cars running without for over a year with no issues.

MR Turco Sep 27, 2008 05:22 PM

So would it be better to run without the resistor?

Jack_of_Trades Sep 27, 2008 05:41 PM

What is the coil resistance of the GM BCS anyways? I tested my stock BCS and its 33 ohms. I would assume that the outut voltage on such a circuit would be regulated. I dont even know the maximum voltage of this output, anyone know?

silver_evo Sep 27, 2008 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 6164661)

I drop in voltage can not change frequency. How ever a drop in voltage will cause the solenoid to respond more slowly. Sorry this is off-topic, but that caught my eye. My own opinion is that you should run the correct voltage for the solenoid. A 10ohm resistor will not cause much of any voltage drop, but will reduce the current thru the solenoid, prolonging its life.

Jack_of_Trades Sep 27, 2008 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by silver_evo (Post 6166478)
A 10ohm resistor will not cause much of any voltage drop, but will reduce the current thru the solenoid, prolonging its life.

Thats very true, in series it will have the same voltage across the solenoid and the resistor. The only reason to use the resistor would be to limit the current draw from the output circuit. At 12v (if thats what the circuit is) and the stock BCS being 33 ohms, thats 363 milliamps (0.363 amps). If the circuit is similar to a peak n hold design it would spike up to an amp while opening the solenoid but not much more IMO.