Notices
ECU Flash

ECU FLASH Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU FLASH Tuning Questions

Please if you cannot provide a technical answer do not post let's keep this thread on tract.

I've got a question reguarding the load calcs on the ecuflash,

I'm use to Standalone systems using the MAP for Load referance, or even using the MAF voltage, however on the ecuflash it uses load percentage.

Am i wrong in assumong the load is being calculated by the following: Mass Air Flow / Engine speed?

Can some one post the formula for determining the load.

I can't seem to figure out how to come up with 240% load
Old May 10, 2006, 06:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This may sound strange, but it seems to correlate with Barometric pressure.. I removed the X axis calculation to see what the raw X value was for the labels, and it seems to look like 1.0 falls into a range where I would expect values to be..

I'm still figuring this out too..
Old May 10, 2006, 06:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noogles
Please if you cannot provide a technical answer do not post let's keep this thread on tract.

I've got a question reguarding the load calcs on the ecuflash,

I'm use to Standalone systems using the MAP for Load referance, or even using the MAF voltage, however on the ecuflash it uses load percentage.

Am i wrong in assumong the load is being calculated by the following: Mass Air Flow / Engine speed?

Can some one post the formula for determining the load.

I can't seem to figure out how to come up with 240% load

Ok... say if you are 100% Engine Load, that is equivalent to 0 (zero in/hg) and 200% Engine Load is equivalent to 14.5 psi or 1.0 bar and so on.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by b0ostedEV08
Ok... say if you are 100% Engine Load, that is equivalent to 0 (zero in/hg) and 200% Engine Load is equivalent to 14.5 psi or 1.0 bar and so on.
Sweet, I thought thats what I read over on openecu.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by A418t81
Sweet, I thought thats what I read over on openecu.
LOL... that was my post... I'm Jaytech over at OpenECU.org
Old May 10, 2006, 06:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I could be wrong but I think that the ecu also moves into other load columns as the revs go up / boost pressure changes.

At least from looking at timing logs from my car I have gathered that. I hit timing numbers in the mid range on one load column but hit timing numbers up top that fall in a different load column.

Am I totally wrong in this ***umption?

Am I also right in the assumption that most stock turbo cars with pump gas boost (approx 1.5bar boost) fall into and around the 180-220 load column in the timing/ignition table? That's what it looks like from my timing logs at least.

Last edited by razorlab; May 10, 2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:38 PM
EvoM Guru

I think thats where the low load and high load tables come into play..

I just realized that my guess (Baro pressure) seems to describe it..

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 10, 2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, looking at the maps it appears that they are scaled to ~1.6 bar. Can you rescale the load axis for higher boost or does one just have to deal with the highest load bins when going beyond that load range?

Also, razor, while the load axis is "pressure," its important to remember that its a calculated value that takes into account very many things and ultimately relys on the maf which obviously isn't concerned with manifold pressure. I would not expect the ecu to jump right over to ~240 and then just drop straight down in that load column as the revs rise (not to mention, are we looking at total timing and then the ecu subtracts whatever it determines is necessary based on it's subroutines, etc?)
Old May 10, 2006, 06:42 PM
EvoM Guru

I don't think rescaling the axis actually rescales the range in the Map.. I think that would be done with some sort of MAF scaling or compensation, but I don't see a table for that.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I was looking for the table to go beyond that 260%, will the stock ecu extrapolate the set value out to say 300%.

Another Question How would we setup a Real two step, would it be just to find the load range at the designated idle rev limit and just set the timming to -110 degrees?
Old May 10, 2006, 06:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I don't think rescaling the axis actually rescales the range in the Map.. I think that would be done with some sort of MAF scaling or compensation, but I don't see a table for that.
speaking of scaling, I haven't had the time to look at the current software yet since I am at work but does it include injector scaling now or just injector battery voltage compensation?
Old May 10, 2006, 07:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I think thats where the low load and high load tables come into play..
I don't see High/Low load ignition maps, only High/Low load open loop fueling maps and Low/High Octane ignition maps.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:04 PM
EvoM Guru

It actually has injector scaling, and the value is calculated to roughly the cc/min so default is 513 (close enough to 550cc injectors) and can have a max value of 1000...

I saw some other interesting tables you'd like also.. open loop throttle voltage (crossover points!) for high and low load, there looks to be a few enrichment maps that lay on top of the fuel maps..

Theres an Accelerator enrichment function (Tip in, aka Accelerator Pump on other standalones) Looks like its represented as some sort of percentage over base..
Old May 10, 2006, 07:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
I don't see High/Low load ignition maps, only High/Low load open loop fueling maps and Low/High Octane ignition maps.
It represents high and low load compensation, not sure if its used for both timing and fueling maps, but it could be used to offset the cells slightly.. I haven't figured that out yet.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why can't I download any roms from openecu.org? I see the 3 ROM threads in "Evo 8" forum but there's no link to download from?

Quick Reply: ECU FLASH Tuning Questions