Notices
ECU Flash

EcuTek'ed... what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcuTek'ed... what are my options?

I have an custom tuned EcuTek'ed flash from Al. I bought a second, unflashed ECU and a Tactrix cable. However, my hands are tied as far as using the ECUFlash software to play around. I can't load the kernel onto the EcuTek'ed ECU and I don't know what the immobilizer code is to get the second ECU working on my car. Argh!

I'm happy with my current tune, but I want to be able to learn and play around with the ECUFlash. How can I get my second ECU working? Can I take the car to the dealership, swap ECUs in the parking lot and have them reset the immobilizer?

I originally went with the EcuTek because they were promising a usertune feature sometime in the future... vaporware! I could sell the ECU with the EcuTek license, but who's gonna want it with ECUFlash out? Is it possible to remove the EcuTek flash from it? Can the EcuTek software take the flash off / put it back to stock?
Old May 16, 2006, 01:55 PM

I will have Jay get back to you as soon as possible on your options with the ECUs. Hang tight for a little bit.
Old May 16, 2006, 02:00 PM

I just spoke to Jay he said if you were local we would sync the code for you with our factory tool but since you are WV you should go to your local Mitsubishi dealer and have them flash in the emobilizer code into your new ECU. Save you old ECU so you have a spare.
Old May 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Maxxamillion
Save you old ECU so you have a spare.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll call the dealership up and see it the local redneck Mitsubishi mechanics know how to reset the immobilizer in my newly aquired ECU.

Do you know if it's possible to remove the EcuTek code from my other ECU. I'm sure there are at least a few other folks in the same boat that I'm in.
Old May 16, 2006, 03:51 PM

If you remove it you will loose your license for good.
Old May 17, 2006, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Maxxamillion
...you should go to your local Mitsubishi dealer and have them flash in the emobilizer code into your new ECU.
The local yahoos are telling me that they are not sure if they can sync the new ECU to my immobilizer.... but they can reprogram my car keys to start the car. Is there any truth to this or are they just ignorant?
Old May 17, 2006, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AutoXer
The local yahoos are telling me that they are not sure if they can sync the new ECU to my immobilizer.... but they can reprogram my car keys to start the car. Is there any truth to this or are they just ignorant?
When the key are programmed, the new ECU and Immobilizer is synch automatically. Make sure you do both keys when this is done.
Old May 17, 2006, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AutoXer
When the keys are programmed, the new ECU and Immobilizer is synch automatically. Make sure you do both keys when this is done.
Old May 17, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by b0ostedEV08
When the keys are programmed, the new ECU and Immobilizer is synch automatically. Make sure you do both keys when this is done.

I appreciate your help but I'm a little confused as to what is keyed to what. Here's what I think is happening:

Key
- contains an RFID-like tag inside the black rubber/plastic part of the key
- does not get programmed

Immobilizer
- reads RFID tag that's within the key
- checks to see if key is registered in the ECU
- stops car from starting if key isn't registered in the ECU

ECU
- stores the key ID or part of it in the 0X3FFE0 area of flash memory
- can hold multiple key IDs

So, the ECU is the only thing that stores what key can start the car. ...am I in the ballpark?
Old May 17, 2006, 07:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Immobilizer stores the Key ID, all the key id's are in there, the Immobilizer has a unique ID that is paired with the ECU...

The only thing the ECU stores is the IMMOBILIZER's ID...

You can add new keys on your own by following the instructions in the owners manual, or the dealer can do it.. But only the dealer can change the Immobilizer ID itself, and then re-synch it with the ECU..

What *WE* can do, is take the current ID stored in the ECU, write it down, and place it into a different ECU or ROM file..
Old May 17, 2006, 08:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The Immobilizer stores the Key ID, all the key id's are in there, the Immobilizer has a unique ID that is paired with the ECU...

The only thing the ECU stores is the IMMOBILIZER's ID...

You can add new keys on your own by following the instructions in the owners manual, or the dealer can do it.. But only the dealer can change the Immobilizer ID itself, and then re-synch it with the ECU..

What *WE* can do, is take the current ID stored in the ECU, write it down, and place it into a different ECU or ROM file..
Exactly....
Old May 17, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So If you have a mail in dynoflash cant use ecu flash?
Old May 17, 2006, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mchuang
So If you have a mail in dynoflash cant use ecu flash?
yes you can
Old May 17, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by b0ostedEV08
yes you can
So what do you do just pull the file off your ecu and save it just in case you need it and just start with a stock rom and go from there? Also can you tune on the fly
Old May 17, 2006, 11:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mchuang
So what do you do just pull the file off your ecu and save it just in case you need it and just start with a stock rom and go from there? Also can you tune on the fly
Yes to the first question, and no for the second question.

Quick Reply: EcuTek'ed... what are my options?