Notices
ECU Flash

Question regarding tuning methods...

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding tuning methods...

So it appears alot of people are going to be tuning there cars using this new ecuflash..... what is your desired methd?

How are you tuning your Airfuel? obviously loging from a wb02, altough since the car is MAF, it's pretty hard to reference the AF/R to a specific load point..is this just a guessing game? what is the best way to attack this? how are you going about tuning your areas between WOT and part throttle... the partial boost areas, seems almost impossable if you cannot log your af/r with a load point ...

Timing, how is everyone making timing adjustments? Are you doing this blindly? Loging knock? gmeter? dyno?

Where can i learn more regarding the common knowledge about how much timing the evo likes? i assume the 'professional' tuners already have a good idea about how much timing an evo will take before it starts to knock, is this common knowledge or something to be learned by experience?

I've taken efi101, and done tons of reading...... im reading to begin my tuning adventures, i have alot of good tuning knowledge, just nothing evo specific.... any advice is appreciated

TJ
Old May 24, 2006, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have never tune any source of A/F management computer i wouldn't mess with this if i were you. the best thing is to let a professional tune a base map for you and compare it to stock one and learn from it.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

If you have never played with engine managment before make sure you do your homework since it seems you are eager to learn. Wideband is essential, also start conservative with fuel and timing and work your way up. Normally with timing you can increase it in small increments until you see no torque increase, then you back off of it to keep it conservative. Of course you will need to be at a dyno to try this method. I guess it wouldn't hurt to dial in your afr's though with a wideband w/o a dyno.
Old May 25, 2006, 04:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You know what.. This is a GREAT question, and all I can say is "It comes with experience" Over time you begin to understand what cells certain load levels fall into, lots of logging and data make it easier to find, and this is why its really important to do alot of road logging..

Tuning the WOT map on the other hand is about finding the path it takes with your desired boost through the maps...

Heres what I do..

Build my first map with really low boost, tune those cells, I start by flattening the high and low octane maps to force it to stick to one "Tune" , I raise the boost a bit and do it again, until I hit my target boost level.. I end up with a multistage map, and I smooth the cells between the few paths.. That should address most of the different "Spike" regions and Peak and HIgh RPM regions.. Part throttle drivability ends up doing alot of logging of closed loop data and fuel trims, and I then adjust the maps in those areas to get the fuel trims to hover as close to zero as possible.. For those regions I leave timing alone unless there's a specific transition problem or hiccup. You can add timing within reason to pick up a ton of part throttle torque, but you have to watch very closely for knock and EGT's since closed loop fueling will always try to hover at Stoich..

Once you get regions that feel good, you go through the entire map and smooth the areas in between.. Then you drive the car and log data, any anomolous spikes or knock detected, or other stumbles and farts, you would adjust those specific regions..

Once you have a flat set of maps your happy with, I then take the low octane maps and add .5 to the fueling, and back off the timing by a degree..
Old May 25, 2006, 04:17 AM
EvoM Guru

I always use some sort of Road dyno software to measure gains, I find that dyno tuning is great for making peak numbers, but as soon as you get on the street, the load is different and it takes a slightly different path through the load cells, everything just changes (going from the dyno to the street, the tunes end up going a little leaner too)
Old May 25, 2006, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Once you have a flat set of maps your happy with, I then take the low octane maps and add .5 to the fueling, and back off the timing by a degree..
Looking at a stock map last night, I noticed that the timing values vary quite dramatically from the low to high octane maps. Do you think one degree less is enough for the low octane map?
Old May 25, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoXer
Looking at a stock map last night, I noticed that the timing values vary quite dramatically from the low to high octane maps. Do you think one degree less is enough for the low octane map?
The ECU shouldn't be spending much time in the low octane maps. Several experienced folks on this forum have advised me not to even bother with the low octane timing and fuel maps as the required knock level to activate them is significant.

d
Old May 25, 2006, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AutoXer
Well, no, but its usually what I start with.. Like Donour said, you have to have some pretty significant knock to end up completely in the low octane map.. You can use several degrees if you want..