Notices
ECU Flash

warranty question

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2006, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warranty question

i know that flashing will void the warranty...but will reflashing back to stock make it invisible to the dealer? thanks
Old May 26, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get flashed back to stock then there should be no problem.
Old May 26, 2006, 05:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, it probably would be invisible to the dealer, dishonest, but invisible..

However your other supporting mods could affect your car's ability to run correctly and then be a dead giveaway.

The truth is, if your concerned about your warranty, you should not be modifying your car at all until Its no longer under warranty. This whole "pull one over" on the dealer when stuff breaks just isn't fair to anyone.
Old May 26, 2006, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

True, but it also isn't fair how the dealerships rape you on your trade in's in the first place. If there is any problems with the car, they will wholesale it for the same price they took it in for.

Also, it isn't fair how the service department will not warranty anything on these EVO's. They say, "oh, you drive it too hard", or "that exhaust is making soo much power that its cooking your brakes because of the speeds you can reach now". Its fully BS.

I have been working for car dealerships for 10 years now and know very well how they opperate. I traded in my 03 with a alky and 20g tune ECU with almost all stock parts. I didn't care because they dicked me around for a while (even though this was the third EVO we have bought from them) and they can flash it anyway.

No sympathy for the dealers.

Not trying to be rude Jack, just how I feel.
Old May 26, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

I feel the same I have no sympathy for dealers either they are a bunch of crooks. They will try to rape you for money anyway they can. But then again there are some decent dealers out there. To they are very very few.
Old May 26, 2006, 06:20 AM
EvoM Guru

This is clearly off-topic, but I understand your feelings.. and I think the dealers ARE a little harsh at times.. however I have NEVER had any problem with my dealership, it had been covered under warranty and the car was clearly modified, however it was not abused..

I think the majority of people complaining of issues are indeed trying to "put one over" on the dealer. I think if you burn up a clutch in under 10,000 miles, then you are clearly abusing the vehicle, and I have no sympathy for someone who breaks transmissions, transfer cases, or wastes a clutch and then expects to get it covered under warranty. If you can't afford to fix it and pay for it, you clearly can't afford the car.

And don't worry, I'm not bothered by harsh words.. Obviously I have my opinion and you have yours.. No point in arguing it, its already been discussed to oblivion in other posts over the years..
Old May 26, 2006, 06:36 AM

well i was just wondering didnt mean to make you think i am trying to pull one over on dealers or anything...

i for one baby my car and have yet to even launch the ix...thats what the talon is for...

my ix is stock and the flash is really the only thing im considering...really all i want is a conservative tune that can take advantage of this software
Old May 26, 2006, 06:55 AM
EvoM Guru

This wasn't directed at you.. I just have a bit of an aggressive animosity towards people thinking that the dealer should cover everything no questions asked..

In your case, bone stock, etc.. Its unlikely they would know or care that the car was reflashed, even if you didn't flash it back to stock to take into the dealer.
Old May 26, 2006, 07:24 AM
MrB

Reflashing shouldn't be a problem. It will just be reprogrammed for factory spec.

Is it fair? It really depends on your original complaint to the dealer.

As far as your dealership experience, it really depends on the dealership.

There are honest dealerships and crooked ones. You just have to keep in mind customers make the dealerships the way they are. Dealerships are a business, they're there to make money. Everyone expects some kind of discount or "deal", so that puts the dealership in a position to overcome the constant special requests from customers. They are always in the defensive. If anything is promised/guaranteed and the customer ask for more later, the dealer is ****ed one way or another either on the money issue or customer satisfaction side.

Most dealerships are happy to serve the customer completely, but there is a stopping point.

Realize when trading a car, the dealer is there to resell it. They would go out of business if they gave you what your car is worth. Besides, its all hidden into the sales deal anyway to make it look like they gave you more on your trade.

guess where I work No, I'm not a salesman...I'm service guy myself. I am lucky to work at an honest dealership though.

I am not talking about any of you personal, I'm just speaking on dealerships side.
Old May 26, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
This is clearly off-topic, but I understand your feelings.. and I think the dealers ARE a little harsh at times.. however I have NEVER had any problem with my dealership, it had been covered under warranty and the car was clearly modified, however it was not abused..

I think the majority of people complaining of issues are indeed trying to "put one over" on the dealer. I think if you burn up a clutch in under 10,000 miles, then you are clearly abusing the vehicle, and I have no sympathy for someone who breaks transmissions, transfer cases, or wastes a clutch and then expects to get it covered under warranty. If you can't afford to fix it and pay for it, you clearly can't afford the car.

And don't worry, I'm not bothered by harsh words.. Obviously I have my opinion and you have yours.. No point in arguing it, its already been discussed to oblivion in other posts over the years..
MalibuJack,
I believe in what you say but when my 02 sensor went bad the dealership I went would not cover it due to my aftermarket exhaust (HKS Carbon Ti). I already told them that my rear 02 sensor was bad and they knew and they where not going to warranty my 02 sensor because of the exhaust. Why diagnois for me when I already told them what was wrong? They also gave me the lamest excuses that the person who installed dropped it on the floor to damage it yeah right! These are the dealers that make dealers look badl..
And I did not abuse my car.
Old May 26, 2006, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah I hear ya.. But I have also seen quite a few bad O2 sensors from exhaust shops that used an impact gun to remove the sensor from the old exhaust.. So it goes both ways.. BTW I don't work for a dealer, and do not currently work as a mechanic..

And although I hate to admit the dealer is right or justified in ANYTHING they do, this is clearly a grey area for them.. The rear O2 sensor is considered an emission device and they should have covered it.. but they will only warranty an exhaust component if it was OEM so it really can fall between the cracks.

Also, you can tell a shop what is wrong with your car till your blue in the face, they generally have to diagnose it themselves to be able to document the problem adequately and then they can fix it, ESPECIALLY if its a warranty repair.. Plus more often than not, the Customer's diagnosis isn't correct, in your case it was, but how were they to know it wasn't just a broken wire or whatnot?
Old May 26, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, it probably would be invisible to the dealer, dishonest, but invisible..

However your other supporting mods could affect your car's ability to run correctly and then be a dead giveaway.

The truth is, if your concerned about your warranty, you should not be modifying your car at all until Its no longer under warranty. This whole "pull one over" on the dealer when stuff breaks just isn't fair to anyone.

exactly...
Old May 26, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

warrenty claims come out of the manufacturors pockets not the dealers. the dealer makes money off the warrenty claim
Old May 26, 2006, 08:33 PM
Account Disabled

Saying your warranty is not valid if it has not exceeded its mileage limitation and/or alotted time is in violation of the Magnuson Moss Act of 1975 and is punishible by law. So, if for example your window breaks, they can't NOT fix it because of your ECU. But if your ECU inputs too high of boost and you melt a piston, they can deny it. Say you just had an intake and you blew a rod, they can't not fix it because of the intake. They have to PROVE it was contributed to the intake. Don't take ****, they're car salesman and mechanics, tell them how it is. Just mention Magnuson Moss and sternly demand warranty coverage, call MMC, prosecute them.(I've seen people get entirely new cars because of a simple warranty denial and the lawyers have made it fall into the `` lemon law `` category).

Last edited by ultraist; May 26, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old May 27, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This wasn't directed at you.. I just have a bit of an aggressive animosity towards people thinking that the dealer should cover everything no questions asked..

Dealers dont pay broken parts from their own pocket...

Quick Reply: warranty question