Notices
ECU Flash

Boost question

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost question

I got my cable today. I download my 9 rom, and was checking some of the tables.

I was planning on going stock for my next Auto-X, so I took off my MBC and put the stock wastegate solenoid hoses back on. With this configuration I was only able to boost to .8bar, no more. I chalked this up to something Al changed on the boost settings since I was running a mbc when he tuned me. I'm sticking with my mbc until support for flashing the 9 ecu arrives.

Here's my boost settings from my map:

Wastegate solenoid De-activation RPM Re-activate: xxx
Wastegate solenoid De-activation RPM De-activate: xxx
Wastegate solenoid Activation RPM De-Activate: xxx
Wastegate solenoid Activation RPM Active: 281 (That's gotta be kpa, or wtf)

Wastegate duty #3 looks modified slightly, but #2 and #1 are both the same.

================================================== =======

So then I got to thinking about another issue....

The stock hoses run in an odd configuration. Couldn't we just run a single hose from the wastegate to one side of the solenoid and then another hose from the turbo nipple to the other side of the solenoid?

Since the solenoid opens to allow air to pass from one line to the other, In effect, with the right boost solenoid map activation settings, this would act as a ebc, correct?

I know the white painted side of the solenoid lets pressure out, so it's easy to setup the hoses, but what setting would I need to change under my map to make this work? Seems like it would be very easy to configure.

TIA,

Jeff

Last edited by JeffR116; May 26, 2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not think the evo 9 can be modified just yet. They are still working on the 8 and once perfected the 9 will probably be easier also. I read this information in another post.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
I do not think the evo 9 can be modified just yet. They are still working on the 8 and once perfected the 9 will probably be easier also. I read this information in another post.
Thanks, but I know that. You can modify the maps, you just cant flash it back to the EEPROM yet.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

The stock hoses have to be left in exact oem tact for the intergral boost control to work.... the stock lines have restrictor pills, etc

Couldn't we just run a single hose from the wastegate to one side of the solenoid and then another hose from the turbo nipple to the other side of the solenoid?
No, this is a bleed off type system, the wastegate and turbo are t'ed together and then bled into the intake.
Old May 26, 2006, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeffR116
I got my cable today. I download my 9 rom, and was checking some of the tables.

I was planning on going stock for my next Auto-X, so I took off my MBC and put the stock wastegate solenoid hoses back on. With this configuration I was only able to boost to .8bar, no more. I chalked this up to something Al changed on the boost settings since I was running a mbc when he tuned me. I'm sticking with my mbc until support for flashing the 9 ecu arrives.

Here's my boost settings from my map:

Wastegate solenoid De-activation RPM Re-activate: xxx
Wastegate solenoid De-activation RPM De-activate: xxx
Wastegate solenoid Activation RPM De-Activate: xxx
Wastegate solenoid Activation RPM Active: 281 (That's gotta be kpa, or wtf)

Wastegate duty #3 looks modified slightly, but #2 and #1 are both the same.

================================================== =======

So then I got to thinking about another issue....

The stock hoses run in an odd configuration. Couldn't we just run a single hose from the wastegate to one side of the solenoid and then another hose from the turbo nipple to the other side of the solenoid?

Since the solenoid opens to allow air to pass from one line to the other, In effect, with the right boost solenoid map activation settings, this would act as a ebc, correct?

I know the white painted side of the solenoid lets pressure out, so it's easy to setup the hoses, but what setting would I need to change under my map to make this work? Seems like it would be very easy to configure.

TIA,

Jeff

I have a completely stock 9 map if you want it to show you the difference in the 2 maps. No immoblizer code though.
Old May 27, 2006, 06:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kf6ytc
The stock hoses have to be left in exact oem tact for the intergral boost control to work.... the stock lines have restrictor pills, etc

No, this is a bleed off type system, the wastegate and turbo are t'ed together and then bled into the intake.
This is offtopic, but the reason it won't work is because the stock solenoid is "Normally Closed" which would cause overboost if you just put it inline as a restrictor system and not a bleed system..

You are correct, the restrictor pills have to be left intact to get the levels of boost you would expect.. The first pill (from the boost source to the T) sets the lowest level of boost, the second restrictor in the bleed line to the solenoid sets the high level.. When the valve is open, the additional air is bled through the valve and the boost level raises.. There is a slight range of boost that can be controlled using solenoid duty, but the solenoid itself isn't designed to be used for fine control and therefore we have limited control.

Theoretically, if the boost control maps are indeed useful duty cycle values, or even load target values, then you could switch to a different solenoid (ASSUMING YOU MATCH THE IMPEDENCE OF THE STOCK SOLENOID, its important because if you don't you risk burning the solenoid driver on the ECU, or your solenoid, or it overheating and melting something, this info is posted elsewhere)

I keep thinking that there may actually be gear based boost control in there somewhere.. I do see 4 of the Max Wastegate Duty tables, and 4 boost desired engine load... It leads me to believe there may be something to that..
Old May 27, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
This is offtopic, but the reason it won't work is because the stock solenoid is "Normally Closed" which would cause overboost if you just put it inline as a restrictor system and not a bleed system..

You are correct, the restrictor pills have to be left intact to get the levels of boost you would expect.. The first pill (from the boost source to the T) sets the lowest level of boost, the second restrictor in the bleed line to the solenoid sets the high level.. When the valve is open, the additional air is bled through the valve and the boost level raises.. There is a slight range of boost that can be controlled using solenoid duty, but the solenoid itself isn't designed to be used for fine control and therefore we have limited control.

Theoretically, if the boost control maps are indeed useful duty cycle values, or even load target values, then you could switch to a different solenoid (ASSUMING YOU MATCH THE IMPEDENCE OF THE STOCK SOLENOID, its important because if you don't you risk burning the solenoid driver on the ECU, or your solenoid, or it overheating and melting something, this info is posted elsewhere)

I keep thinking that there may actually be gear based boost control in there somewhere.. I do see 4 of the Max Wastegate Duty tables, and 4 boost desired engine load... It leads me to believe there may be something to that..
I thought there was only 1 restrictor in the line from the T to the solenoid. I had changed the tubing that runs from the turbo nipple to the T, which is why I'm only getting .8 bar. Makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it.
Old May 27, 2006, 05:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep that is the most common reason, sometimes when people put the hoses on reversed where the restrictor is on the Actuator side instead of the pressure source nipple they will get wastegate pressure, or maybe a little higher..
Old May 27, 2006, 06:43 PM

I have question about, how to stop the boost to drop from 19psi to 16psi at higher RPM, Is there some setting which i can change to do that. The car has no boost controller.
Old May 27, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speed kills
I have question about, how to stop the boost to drop from 19psi to 16psi at higher RPM, Is there some setting which i can change to do that. The car has no boost controller.
You need an upgraded wastegate actuator to hold boost solid to redline.
Old May 28, 2006, 07:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JeffR116
You need an upgraded wastegate actuator to hold boost solid to redline.
Its actually an ECU feature.. Peak 19psi dropping to 16psi is the main function of the solenoid..

I think tis the Wastegate Solenoid Activation RPM settings.. I have an MBC on the car at the moment so I didn't play with it too deeply..
Old May 28, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

So if we remove the solenoid the boost could stay at 19?
Old May 28, 2006, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru

No removing the solenoid would result in a disconnected solenoid and nothing connected for boost control.. Not sure what you mean..

You can use an MBC and set it manually to 19psi (or any reasonable setting for that matter) or you can alter the settings in the ECU to remove the tapering feature.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:14 AM

Okay i will do that.
Old May 28, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
No removing the solenoid would result in a disconnected solenoid and nothing connected for boost control.. Not sure what you mean..

You can use an MBC and set it manually to 19psi (or any reasonable setting for that matter) or you can alter the settings in the ECU to remove the tapering feature.
ok, that is what I need, how do I remove it? (I have ecu flash)

Quick Reply: Boost question