Notices
ECU Flash

my first datalog =)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya i am going to be logging a number of times within a number of days, to get the effects of varying outside temps.
Also do you know where i can get a base 03/04 map. i have Al's flash, and i want to use the base map to compare fuel and timing maps.
Old May 28, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elhalisf
well, as long as egt temps are under 1600, then i should be fine, right?
Your egts can also go high if you run to little timing as well. But like Malibu says log it. I just used an egt and wideband, but I am on 93, and I have a mail in that is suppose to be conservative so all I did was add a degree in the full throttle range, and monitor my egts to see if any significant changes from before. Other variables will also determine what amount of timing you run. Turbo size, compression, cams(which i dont have), plus we have ethanol haha which is suppose to be a lil harder to burn than reg gas
Old May 28, 2006, 06:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
Your egts can also go high if you run to little timing as well. But like Malibu says log it. I just used an egt and wideband, but I am on 93, and I have a mail in that is suppose to be conservative so all I did was add a degree in the full throttle range, and monitor my egts to see if any significant changes from before. Other variables will also determine what amount of timing you run. Turbo size, compression, cams(which i dont have), plus we have ethanol haha which is suppose to be a lil harder to burn than reg gas

EGT is good as complimentary tuning / status device but I would never rely on it as the main tuning and status of whats going on.

I can tweak my car to knock to hell and pull a crapload of timing and you won't see the EGT change much or quickly. It was decent way back in the DSM days before alot of widebands and loggers where affordable and available but now I only use it as another piece of data.
Old May 28, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
EGT is good as complimentary tuning / status device but I would never rely on it as the main tuning and status of whats going on.

I can tweak my car to knock to hell and pull a crapload of timing and you won't see the EGT change much or quickly. It was decent way back in the DSM days before alot of widebands and loggers where affordable and available but now I only use it as another piece of data.
You wont see it change if you do a short gear pull, but in a 4th gear pull you can see it. If it was a decent way back then why wouldnt it be decent now lol. I can definetly understand why you think 9 or 10 degrees is a lot, you have cams and 91 oct, I have no cams and 93 oct, But either way just too many variables to know what a certain car likes compared to another.
Old May 28, 2006, 06:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
But either way just too many variables to know what a certain car likes compared to another.
Which is what I have been saying the whole time.
Old May 28, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
No, every car is different. This is why when people get on here and state these kind of things , it really irks me. "hey, he's doing it no problem, I might as well too" then your motor melts.

Your car is different then someone elses car, regardless if the mods are the same or not.

Your car might be more sensitive in that area and knock to high heaven, or it might not.

That is why I feel logging is more important then anything if people want to start tuning their own cars. This is where true tuning knowledge starts building from.
well how can i trust an EFLASH! map from al then? i've always wondered even with his flashes how you can get a flash through the mail from a list of mods and it's safe for every evo with those mods. are the tunes that conservative or is it something else?
Old May 28, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

what i meant is that i will be using the egt numbers to prevent my engine from blowing up, not to get maximum performance out of the engine.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

what i meant is that i will be using the egt numbers to prevent my engine from blowing up, not to get maximum performance out of the engine.
Yea that is what I was doing, but my boost level is a lil less than yours. I am@20psi from peak torque to redline.
Old May 28, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know a good site where i can learn the basics of tunning. like timing, a/f ratios and fuel. i am looking to maximize my low and mid range torque.
Old May 29, 2006, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know a good site where i can learn the basics of tunning. like timing, a/f ratios and fuel. i am looking to maximize my low and mid range torque.
Evans-tuning.com pretty good place. Click on forum
Old May 29, 2006, 06:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hondafan
well how can i trust an EFLASH! map from al then? i've always wondered even with his flashes how you can get a flash through the mail from a list of mods and it's safe for every evo with those mods. are the tunes that conservative or is it something else?
You should always get a custom tune if possible.. However there's alot left on the table with the stock ECU, and making minor tweaks to accomodate your mods, and not do anything too aggressively will gain quite a bit of power (at least 20whp) and therefore the mail flashes are generally safe in most instances. There are occasionally cars that are anomolous and will respond poorly to a through the mail flash, but generally the through the mail flashes are safe because they aren't aggressive enough to do damage (assuming the boost levels you are using are set according to the Tuner's recommendations)
Old May 29, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
You should always get a custom tune if possible.. However there's alot left on the table with the stock ECU, and making minor tweaks to accomodate your mods, and not do anything too aggressively will gain quite a bit of power (at least 20whp) and therefore the mail flashes are generally safe in most instances. There are occasionally cars that are anomolous and will respond poorly to a through the mail flash, but generally the through the mail flashes are safe because they aren't aggressive enough to do damage (assuming the boost levels you are using are set according to the Tuner's recommendations)
Thank you for acknowledging that, because that is what I have been saying
Old May 29, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

ya i am going to be logging a number of times within a number of days, to get the effects of varying outside temps.
Also do you know where i can get a base 03/04 map. i have Al's flash, and i want to use the base map to compare fuel and timing maps.
This is MalibuJack's stock 03 ROM

http://www.aktivematrix.com/UTEC/03Evo-Stock.zip

Enjoy
Old May 29, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

awesome thanx.