Notices
ECU Flash

Flashed it with the wrong ECU identifier!

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashed it with the wrong ECU identifier!

I posted up this problem briefly in one of the other threads, but decided that I should make a new thread.

I have an 04 with Al's flash. When I read the ECU, it gave me an unknown rom image.
initially, I picked inherited from the definition below and picked 94170008
well, I read the image and all my scaling for the octane and timing maps are screwed up, ie rpm reads 191.
Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and when I selected evo7base it gave me
adress f52
length 4 bits
identifier 96420007

however, it asks me to input the rom info, like make, model and some ecu info.

now i uninstalled and reinstalled the software again and picked 96420008 and the scaling seems to be correct (so I thought). am i ok running on this number?

I also downloaded the updated rom data from malibujack and uninstalled and reinstalled the program a number of times, while also deleting the program folder.

So I flashed the car by changing the stationary rev limit to 3000 rpm, just to see if it works and flashed it back to Al’s setting of 5656rpm.

After flashing the car, I just realized my idle stepper look-up table scale is off!!! The rpm goes all over the place from 20 to 255996, but the actual throttle position table is the same (comparing it to other rom images). The bad part is that I flashed the car with those rpm numbers.

Should I change the rpm scale to the right numbers and flash it, or leave it with the screwed up rpm scale?

Old May 31, 2006, 03:34 PM
Account Disabled

I am getting a head ache just reading this . . . . I am lost

Did you save the original file you down loaded >?
Old May 31, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

it was just a matter of time until someone screwed up

Like Al mentioned, do you have the rom that you were originally running with?
Old May 31, 2006, 04:28 PM

I may be wrong but it sounds like the xml file may have the wrong offsets and if you didn't change anything that pointed at the wrong data you should be fine. since my cable hasn't made it here yet i haven't played with the software enough to say for sure.
Old May 31, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why did you try to flash your car when you wern't sure it the program was set up right? All you had to do is go to options and change the metadata path to

Metadata Directory
C:/Program Files/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata
Old May 31, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Let me just state that when working with anything remotely important and computers; YOU ALWAYS SAVE YOUR **** before beginning.

If not, maybee Al will be a nice guy and can look up the info that he may have on file. If not it sounds like you need to take it to someone that knwos what they are doing.
Old May 31, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

I would just flash als flash back in for now and then work with the defs til its all sorted out
Old May 31, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

tried to read ecu, gave me unknown rom image, since my identifier, 96420007, was not recognized. picked closest identifier 96420008.

All the scales where ok except the idle stepper look-up table. see image below
http://www.mecah.com/faisal/scale.jpg

yes i did save the original file, but the original file is saved with the scale problem above.

i didn't touch that scale and the car is fine.

what i am asking is that should i correct the scale to this

http://www.mecah.com/faisal/scale.jpg
Old May 31, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think you changed the rom at all just set how ECUFlash reads it
Old May 31, 2006, 05:57 PM
Account Disabled

When dealing with this ecuflash softwear it is CRITICAL to start by dfown loading your current base map and JUST saving it and putting the original data in several loactions for future reference

Also - keep in mind - changes made and flashed back in are executed immediately - meaning there is no second chance if you go too lean or put in some crazy number for timing, etc

I always review each table twice before loading
Old May 31, 2006, 06:44 PM

If you aren't using the correct identifier I wouldn't make any changes. Those bogus numbers are probably showing up because you aren't using the right identifier and changing them could have very bad results if what you altering isn't what you think it is.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi

As a couple of people have aid here, the problem is that Ecuflash is looking at the wrong part of the ROM image to display the scale. When you chose the "edit" option in the top left of the map you re looking at, the bottom option is "edit map deffinition". The resulting box edits the xml file that is assoiciated with your ROM file. You only change the actual ROM file by changing the values in the cells in the displayed map.

MB
Old Jun 4, 2006, 06:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, for the most part thats true.. If you didn't change anything then your okay.. IN reality What your seeing is a portion of the rom thats probably not related (or completely related) to what it is you are looking for. So altering that data may alter something you don't want to alter, at best it does nothing, at worst it can do damage, so its important to make sure you either have the correct information to update the definition yourself, or send the ROM to Jason at Mynes or Colby at openecu.org to make sure it gets its own dedicated XML definition..

It may take some time, the product for the Evo is only about a month old, and the software has been in development for quite some time. But eventually all of the definitions will be in there but there will always be a few that turn up..

But let me reiterate, don't alter the ROM until you get a correct definition for it.. If the information looks incorrect, its just the XML definition of the software, but its looking in the WRONG PLACE, and you don't want to alter anything until your certain the data your manipulating is the correct data.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 06:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh and the most common sign that the rom offset has changed is the RPM table looks wrong when you open a map, fortunately many of the rom's have the fuel and timing map data and some common critical settings in the same place, but some of the other data may get shifted aroundn as new roms are found and released, simply because many times Mitsubishi issues a new rom to fix an issue, most of the time its a code change which shifts the data slightly.. That is why some of the maps or axis get fouled up.. because its shifted.

I would STRONGLY suggest not using a definition inherited from another ECU if it doesnt find yours, at least, in its unchanged format, until you can verify that all of the addresses are correct..
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
My GF's 04 RS ecu matches my 03 rom to a T. Except for that Idle steper table. Her RPM incraments are all over the place like the original posters. The cells in my and her maps are the same but her rpm incraments go crazy.

Quick Reply: Flashed it with the wrong ECU identifier!