Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:36 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24-25psi on 91 octane?!
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

wow i thought i was pushin it running 24 on 93oct. maybe i shuold bump it up a lil'.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

GWWWAHHHH!?!? 25psi on 91? can you do that?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EFIxMR
I do not own a dyno, and this testing came out of pocket. This is a stock setup vs common bolt ons ($1500 worth) with a custom tuned map tailored to these mods. I do not have infinite resources to just dyno test and tune one part at a time.

From the onset, our goal was to provide a comprehensive package for the various bolt ons we carry for the EVO9 at an affordable price.

Peak boost is about 24-25 psi.
Nice. So here's the real question. How much is this going to run me if I want you guys to pull off the same #'s for me in 1-2 months. I'll have 3 TBE, MBC, and apex intake.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that is a lot of boost for 91. I never run anymore than 21 as it is just too hot here to justiy doing that. Still, that really is a lot of boost. I am still curious to what American Touge car you tuned?
Mitch Mckee
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

I'm curious, why is the weight listed on both graphs different? The MD I use has the weight listed at 3600 which would include driver and gas.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

I agree

Last edited by travman; Aug 30, 2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The EVO9 has a lot higher threshold for knock than the EVO8.

On my GT35R setup, and now my GT30R setup I run 25 psi on 91 without problems. Of course this is something I don't recommend if you don't know what you are doing.

How much boost you run is just one aspect of tuning. There is a lot more to it than OMG you're running 24-25 psi.

My personal car has 39000 miles on it with over 200 passes on the dyno, numerous turbos, cams, ect tested on it. It was in the inaugural EVOM time attack, been to a number of HPDE's, drives me to and from work 100 miles everyday, and the engine runs like a finely tuned watch without pause or complications tuned in a similar way.

This is possible because we select the best possible parts, are very meticulous with their installation, and spend a lot of time on the dyno to ensure that the components run together efficiently and reliably.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

On bigger turbos, more boost is appropriate. But on the stock turbo that is a lot of boost, more importantly, a lot of heat. It may not be that you are seeing a lot of detenation, but i can assure you that you are right on the threshold of it.
Mitch

I still really want to know the American Touge car you tuned?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by UCB

It takes a whole lot more on an VIII to get 300whp on the EIP or Gruppe-S Dyno on 91
If by, just cams and gears meaning a "whole lot more" then sure..
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Upgraded fuel pump? Can I ask why it was upgraded? I thought the IX's had a higher flowing pump than an EVO8.. was it necessary to get this power out of those mods/boost?

Thanks,
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
Wow that is a lot of boost for 91. I never run anymore than 21 as it is just too hot here to justiy doing that. Still, that really is a lot of boost. I am still curious to what American Touge car you tuned?
Mitch Mckee
I designed and helped fund into mass production the RCrew Racing long tube 4-2-1 Tri-Y header that the Top Setup EG runs. While I worked at Rcrew Racing as a Dynapak operator, I developed all their Kpro/Motec calibrations that they run in their racecars and give to the customers as basemaps.

While it is likely that Charlie (Top Setup proprietor) has refined the basemaps to suit his own car, the original mapping is my work as the basemap we gave him is the identical to what we ran in our own cars with no detuning. That map puts down 160 wtq 232 whp on a K series Type R engine with I/H/E bolt ons.

The boost spike which is about 24-25 psi actually only occurs for a short period of time near peak tq. The EVO9 turbo with the stock actuator has significant boost taper and by redline is at 17 psi. Also at 3500-4000 rpm range, the turbo is operating at very high efficiency.

If you read the Vishnu forums, they are doing similar things on 91 octane.

Also about the dyno, we are using it to log boost and if you are familiar with the Mustang analog pressure transducer, it has significant noise (fluctuation) even with a smoothing filter applied. To say that it is 24-25 psi peak is the best way I can describe it in words.

Why the weights are different is because the initial baseline test was done at Gruppe-s, and the tuned map was done at Eip. I have run back to back tests on both dynos and they read within 5 whp of each other. As evidenced by the dyno numbers of my 16G in my signature.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ralph
Upgraded fuel pump? Can I ask why it was upgraded? I thought the IX's had a higher flowing pump than an EVO8.. was it necessary to get this power out of those mods/boost?

Thanks,
They were changed out as a precaution. Rather than take someone elses word that the EVO IX stock pump flows more, we prefer to stick with a proven fuel pump since the cost on the pump is affordable.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1NastyEvo
Nice. So here's the real question. How much is this going to run me if I want you guys to pull off the same #'s for me in 1-2 months. I'll have 3 TBE, MBC, and apex intake.
We are still doing long term testing on the car, and plan to take it to some HPDE events to make sure everything is safe and reliable. As for pricing that has yet to be determined, but it will be cheaper than an equivalent EcuTEK tune since there are no licensing fees.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I am very familiar with Mustangs, I ran Vivid Racings for a year. I used the boost analog every day. I have seen it fluctuate, but I just would never let a boost spike 25 psi run after run. Now i am not saying that it cannot be done safely under controlled conditions, but we cannot do that here as it is 115 degrees every day. So in no way am i doubting you, just curious.
As for the Top Setup car, i saw that thing run in the second American Touge, as I was the one that tuned the Vivid RX8. Just curious, and that car was very quick BTW.
Mitch Mckee

Quick Reply: MIVEC dyno tuned!