ECU Flash

What happened to the Locked ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to the Locked ECU?

Hey all

What happened to the locked ecu not anymore thread? I was really hoping that we would be able to get access to our ECUs if they had been locked out. Mostly I want to be able return the ecu to stock and work on adjusting it from there.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Ditto to what he said ^^

Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the thread was "locked" down by the mods.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
the thread was "locked" down by the mods.
I think MalibuJack requested that it be locked. I'm as anxious as anyone who has this "problem." Last I talked to Jack, his comments were basically to just be patient.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well I'd want to know, because I'm planning on buying a Ralliart ECU for my JDM Evo IX, and that ECU is locked. I want to be able to tune what Mitsu's engineers already did, to tweak it a bit more, but it is locked.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
interesting....
Old Jul 27, 2006, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I asked that the thread be locked.. I can't really talk about much specific to my findings but lets just say their very positive.. I'm really just waiting for some information...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so it wasn't locked due to any possible illegality right?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by trinydex
so it wasn't locked due to any possible illegality right?
Extracting a map from your personal car is no more illegal than copying one of your own DVD's.. The concern is the people who make the discoveries are the ones that get hung out there.. However I suspect the only intellectual property of the roms belongs to Mitsubishi, the software method used in the flashing, and the physical hardware, are not covered under any patent that I'm aware of, so I don't forsee an issue there. The "Tuner software" is the only piece of copyrighted material that could be a problem. But EcuFlash is an open-source freeware application that evolved from a simple command line tool, so I dont see that as an issue.. The only issue I see is perhaps a company strongarming people in an attempt not to reveal information. ECUFlash itself is a much more useful tool than any other Evo reflash tool, I have been told that it actually contains more useful tables than any commercially available product, that alone should be enough information to prove the data was extracted from the roms themselves..

Anyway what I was waiting on was figuring out a way to use the ECUFlash program to extract locked roms.. and I think I may have found a way.. I've been testing it for the past 2 weeks.. I need to test on a ralliart locked ECU to confirm that it works on that...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:19 PM
EvoM Guru

It was locked because I wasn't in a position to give out any useful information, and a fear for my life..

just kidding, I had to find a tool that could be more easily used to do this. Previously I was working off a theory and some information I had gathered...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Previously I was working off a theory and some information I had gathered...

Care to point me in the direction of that information?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Its a difficult situation... I'm not going to buy the Ralliart ECU unless I can know for sure that I can mod it further myself. If it can't be unlocked and I cant tune it further, I'll get a different ECU or something that does let me.

I just wanted to start out with a good pre-tuned base, rather than start from absolute scratch with a stock ECU.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 05:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nvr2fast
Its a difficult situation... I'm not going to buy the Ralliart ECU unless I can know for sure that I can mod it further myself. If it can't be unlocked and I cant tune it further, I'll get a different ECU or something that does let me.

I just wanted to start out with a good pre-tuned base, rather than start from absolute scratch with a stock ECU.
I know for a fact that the mod can unlock the ralliart ECUs.. Its only a matter of time before the info gets out there.. by all means get the ECU if it works with your car.. Let me know when you do..