Notices
ECU Flash

EVO8 Bench harness works.. Mostly..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
EVO8 Bench harness works.. Mostly..

hey guys, I can finally read and flash an ECU with 4 connectors (Evo8, Evo7 and most other Mitsubishi with 4 connectors on the ECU) At my desk, this is great news.

I'm not able to log the ECU using either OBD-II or MUT at my bench, I'm certain there are a few required signals missing that I'll have to reproduce, but This is a huge breakthrough.

I'm going to make an evo9 bench harness up now that I know it works so I can bench read and flash either as needed.

I was a bit excited so I needed to post about it. I can't use it yet to test mitsulogger yet though, but at least I know it works well enough to do what it was originally intended.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know how much you would be able to test the logger or OBD-II but, bench flashing and testing changes to the application block should be pretty easy for you now.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by chrisw
I don't know how much you would be able to test the logger or OBD-II but, bench flashing and testing changes to the application block should be pretty easy for you now.
All I would need is to get the output from the ECU, for instance Mode6 or Mode4 tests, monitor tests, etc. for OBD-II, I'm not concerned about dozens of CEL codes, just that they are able to be seen. Otherwise I have no way to test the peripheral flags to see if their properly disabled.

The Mut Logging is the same thing, I'm not concerned about the values in the data, just that there is a conversation going on so I can verify requests and responses will work. As once the real-time tuning features are implemented, I'll be reading/writing RAM, so if I can test this on the bench, it will cut down on WEEKS of programming and testing.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:08 PM
EvoM Guru

So far, the ECU is probably "sleeping" or doesnt think there's a Keyon event that would boot the ECU.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Sleeping?

hmm... sounds like you have dependancies on the imobilizer hardware. If you can figure out the pin out on the ECU for the imobilizer, you could easily fake it.

The CEL's can easily be ignored while on the bench. But you might have to worry about RAM addresses being different when the ECU is off the car and on the bench. All I am saying is that it's possible, but unlikely with the EVO ECU.

As long as the MUT request don't have dependancies on the car running, then yeah, you can test what different MUT request/responses look like.

sounds like fun, but also too much like work these days...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics!!!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

PIN 82!!!!

Had to give it an "ignition switch"

Got it working for logging.

Scantech works with it now too..

Last edited by MalibuJack; Mar 22, 2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by chrisw
Sleeping?

hmm... sounds like you have dependancies on the imobilizer hardware. If you can figure out the pin out on the ECU for the imobilizer, you could easily fake it.

The CEL's can easily be ignored while on the bench. But you might have to worry about RAM addresses being different when the ECU is off the car and on the bench. All I am saying is that it's possible, but unlikely with the EVO ECU.

As long as the MUT request don't have dependancies on the car running, then yeah, you can test what different MUT request/responses look like.

sounds like fun, but also too much like work these days...
I was right.. Forgot to provide a Keyon signal to the ECU..
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What ECU are you using for your test bench and I will look at transferring the E0-E5 protocols to it for you to test?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
PIN 82!!!!

Had to give it an "ignition switch"

Got it working for logging.

Scantech works with it now too..
coolness.... I am only a little jealous... but then again, I don't have a work shop (yet)
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Don't be jealous, the "Test bench" is a plastic mobile storage cube with wheels, it has a 13.8v bench power supply (for powering automotive equipment) Its UGLY and my office is a huge disaster..

a quick photo of the harness and ECU, I'll post something a bit better when I get a chance to solder all the connections and make a swappable interface so I can switch between different harnesses, add the CEL light and switches for power, backup power, and Key-on.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

If you haven't noticed, I don't have the right Sumimoto male connector for the DLC port yet.. But its just a single wire so I figured a pin will be enough. I'm going to pick up a small project box and some switches and indicators this afternoon. Probably use a DB25 connector for the interface to the project box so I can switch harnesses.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
What ECU are you using for your test bench and I will look at transferring the E0-E5 protocols to it for you to test?
Its a 3rd gen ECU, so I can run any of the rom's on it from an Evo7 through 2005 Evo 8.. But it currently has the same 94170008 rom installed on it as its the one in my car and what gets the majority of my testing.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:49 PM
EvoM Guru

BTW this harness also powers up a UTEC and any piggyback setup (ECU+) on a jump harness, so I can now test almost anything.

Quick Reply: EVO8 Bench harness works.. Mostly..