ECU Flash

SAFC, Advantages to using ECUFlash instead

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAFC, Advantages to using ECUFlash instead

I have a mildly modded car...

Headworks, HKS exhaust (Turbo back), Walbro 255 and nothing else...

Getting about 298hp to the wheels now at 1.5BAR peak boost...I am using SAFC to tune the fueling of the car right now...as this is what came with the car. Wondering if there is an advantage of removing the SAFC and just reflashing the stock ECU with ECUFlash.

I know there are more parameters that can be adjusted, and I am sure it can be adjsuted to a much finer detail compared to what I have...but will these actually make a noticeable difference? Maybe better response?

Also, can I control my boost with ECUFlash? Can I lower the boost a bit? I also "heard" that the EVO7 came with an Anti-lag system, and by having ECUflash, this can be activated, or set up?

TIA...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Think of it this way, without going into the real technical reason why:

Your ECU can do anything that SAFC can do, so why have the SAFC? One more thing to go wrong in the equation.

ECU = Control your car

ECU + SAFC = Control your car.

Why add in the SAFC?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah just read the sticky on "how to tune your EVO"...reading that also made more sense of why ECUFlash is the way to go. Timing needs to be addressed too to get the optimum timing for the fuel I have here. Well, this will proabbyl be my next move...

I guess the SAFC seems to be a quick and easy way to fix the feuling because of the higher boost generated by the car...and it came with the car when I bought it too.

What is the best version of ECUFlash, the one that has the least or no bugs at all?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditch the s-afc if you have a laptop + tactrix cable + evoscan or mitsulogger, there's just no need for it.

without timing control you're really missing out of the potential of your car/mods.

for instance, when you install exhaust the ecu will move into a higher load column that has more fuel and less timing...in some cases negative timing values and this can really kill the torque at low rpm especially.

with ecuflash you'll be able to fix the timing map so the car won't feel so gutless in that scenario.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 words....

timing timing timing

Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by exacc
...but will these actually make a noticeable difference? Maybe better response?

Also, can I control my boost with ECUFlash? Can I lower the boost a bit? I also "heard" that the EVO7 came with an Anti-lag system, and by having ECUflash, this can be activated, or set up?

TIA...
I was a long time user of an S-AFC in my Evo, and DSM's before that. I love those little things, they can put down the power, but there is a noticable difference. When I switched to flashing the ECU idle was greatly improved and part throttle response was way better. WOT tuning really came front and center too because I could control the exact timing curve I want. It is way better.
You can control boost with ecuflash, but I don't know how high it can go, but you should be able to lower it.
If you get the hardware for the antilag set up you might be able to make it work.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the great advice guys...well, I am not a tuner myself, but I do understand what people are talking about. I think i now need to find a tuner I can trust....thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
ditch the s-afc if you have a laptop + tactrix cable + evoscan or mitsulogger, there's just no need for it.

without timing control you're really missing out of the potential of your car/mods.

for instance, when you install exhaust the ecu will move into a higher load column that has more fuel and less timing...in some cases negative timing values and this can really kill the torque at low rpm especially.

with ecuflash you'll be able to fix the timing map so the car won't feel so gutless in that scenario.
Actually, all my mods I think lead to higher boost, therefore higher loads right? So I guess the car is more conservative in these higher load on timing, and yes I do notice that it is low on the torque in lower RPMs...but still quite good...looking forward to even better low end torque.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the great advice guys...well, I am not a tuner myself, but I do understand what people are talking about. I think i now need to find a tuner I can trust....thanks!
mellon is active in this thread.... get with him and have him eflash you
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:15 AM
Account Disabled

Actually, all my mods I think lead to higher boost, therefore higher loads right? So I guess the car is more conservative in these higher load on timing, and yes I do notice that it is low on the torque in lower RPMs...but still quite good...looking forward to even better low end torque.
you may not have gained any boost but you're likely moving much more air though the engine (load) and that's what putting you into higher load columns with more conservative settings.

If you're interested in getting the most out of your existing mods and want to get a better understanding of how the ECUflash tuning is done get with me about turning your car. I'm quite verbose when it comes to making changes to the ROM and many people go on to do their own tuning.

I have a video tutorial on my website that explains how to connect the tactrix cable, download and save the stock ROM and upload and burn the Mellon ROM. Even if you choose to go with someone else you'll probably find it helpful
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

you can`t adjust timing with the afc & we all know thats how these cars make power timing
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

not so much how they make power....

its how they make torque
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tkklemann
Think of it this way, without going into the real technical reason why:

Your ECU can do anything that SAFC can do, so why have the SAFC? One more thing to go wrong in the equation.

ECU = Control your car

ECU + SAFC = Control your car.

Why add in the SAFC?

While this is true I think it should read a little more like this:

ECU=TOTAL control of the car

ECU + SAFC=something lying to the ECU to make it do what you want and only modifying the MAF signal to get it.

Believe it or not I think that there are some times that a SAFC might be worthwhile. Lucas put me onto this when he was trying to make a stock ECU car run bigger than 1000's (RC1200's to be precise). You can make them run on E85 or E98 but getting them to like gasoline and run normal AFR's is about impossible with the stock ECU (his words). An SAFC could do the trick of leaning things out enough to make them work, but then again you could rescale the MAF and do the same thing I suppose.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, lying to your ECU is not going to lead to a healthy relationship Good point JB!

OP, ditch the piggy back.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bigric09
3 words....

timing timing timing

+1

Ditch the SAFC

Quick Reply: SAFC, Advantages to using ECUFlash instead