Notices
ECU Flash

NLTS(No Lift To Shift) For Beginners

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:51 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
NLTS(No Lift To Shift) For Beginners

First off, you need tephra mods installed on your ecu to do this. I hear lots of people having lots of trouble or are so scared to try NLTS on their car ever. I have used it for the last two years literally all the time with no issues as a result. Don't be afraid, just practice.

Why does everyone insist on testing NLTS while WOT@7000rpm?

If it's your first time, do yourself a favor and put the car in third gear at 3000rpms. Go WOT and then push the clutch to the floor AND HOLD IT THERE. If the engine free revs, let off the gas instantly. If it drops down and bounces off of the rev limiter at 2200rpm (or whatever) then you're golden. Let off the gas, then gently let out the clutch and continue driving.

Try it again at 4500 a few times, do not dump the clutch out yet. Get a feeling for holding the clutch and gas pedal to the floor at the same time; you need to unlock the seesaw in your mind between these two pedals, its been there for however many years and its not going away easily

Now go WOT @ 3000rpm in third gear and try a slow NLTS at 4500rpms or so. Gas pedal is pinned to the floor, clutch to the floor, verify motor is not free revving to the moon as you shift to fourth, then quickly but gently let out the clutch and keep your right foot pinned WOT. You should be about 3500rpm in 4th gear and accelerating hard. Let off the gas, giggle, and then do it again at a higher rpm.

Normal Problems:
1--During non-NLTS shifts, the car cuts out when you get back at WOT after a shift. Remove your left foot from the clutch pedal, you're riding it a bit.

2--I had a friend who just could not get over the seesaw thing and could not keep the gas at WOT while doing a shift, even at low RPM for practice (as described above). This was my car he was driving, I had verified NLTS was working properly, so I simply reached over just as he went WOT and pushed down as hard as I could on his knee so he would not let off the gas. That was his first successful test (as above) and a few tries late he was ripping WOT NLTS @7000rpm.

3--Same friend as above, but he had bought his own precious WW Evo IX and had not quite gotten the hang of it at high rpm. The shifts were a little stumbly and he was not wanting to have this abuse on his beautiful new car. I encouraged him to try it 'one more time' on an onramp, no traffic, and he finally got the shifts down smooth. YES I said SMOOTH! NLTS shifts should be smooth, not violent. He then told me that I had better not turn off NLTS on his rom or he would be pissed!

4--I had a friend that does a lot of autoX. He kept hitting the NLTS rev limiter as described in issue #1 above while doing autoX, so we raised the minimum speed from 30kph up to roughly the top of 2nd gear so his 1-2 shift would never be NLTS. Also tried higher so only could do NLTS 3-4 and 4-5.

Last edited by scheides; Sep 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
NLTS rocks

This thread is for you, Kai!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:56 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you need the connector hooked up for the clutch pedal? I removed it so I could start the car in the winter months without having to hop in and press down the clutch.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this mod doesn't compare to real NLTS
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
I don't get it? Chris could you elaborate? What's real NLTS? Just slamming gears with both pedals depressed as fast as you can?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Import Junky
Do you need the connector hooked up for the clutch pedal? I removed it so I could start the car in the winter months without having to hop in and press down the clutch.
No. The switch disconnected for no-clutch starting is not the same one used for NLTS. Scheides and I both have our lower switches disconnected for no-clutch starting.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

I don't get it? Chris could you elaborate? What's real NLTS? Just slamming gears with both pedals depressed as fast as you can?
Correct
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:03 PM
EvoM Moderator

No, the lower connector does not need to be hooked up, I have mine unhooked and still NLTS just fine. Tephra's NLTS patch is based on the upper switch (thus the 'riding the clutch' issues)

True, but I think its much better/smoother for the average DD car not looking to blow xfer cases and just have fun ripping it up on the street. Try this patch while doing a more basic quick shift (i.e. not a power shift), you'll be shocked at how smooth it is.

I think what you are talking about is referred to as 'power shifting' right?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

is this the same as keeping your foot on the peddle and just shifting...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:25 PM
Account Disabled

this mod cuts power when the clutch is engaged whereas real ntls aka powershifting does not so you gain rpm and don't lose boost
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Tephra NLTS seems to consistently hold 10 lbs/boost on my car between gears.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:32 PM
EvoM Moderator

this mod cuts power when the clutch is engaged whereas real ntls aka powershifting does not so you gain rpm and don't lose AS MUCH boost

FTFY Doing NLTS w/ tephra's mods you can hold 15psi pretty easy inbetween gears and keep the turbo spinning nicely!

How much do you hold on a powershift?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by scheides
FTFY Doing NLTS w/ tephra's mods you can hold 15psi pretty easy inbetween gears and keep the turbo spinning nicely!

How much do you hold on a powershift?
I don't lose any, the rpm's rise when I shift
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
NLTS rocks

This thread is for you, Kai!
Here I am!! hahaha...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old School NLTS'ing is sweet but not for the average Joe. Tephra's is a good compromise between Old School NLTS and full lift to shifiting.

Quick Reply: NLTS(No Lift To Shift) For Beginners