Notices
ECU Flash

stock ecu speed density from a vendor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock ecu speed density from a vendor

Kinda funny, no props or even a mention of the hard working coders in this forum.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/aw...n-package.html
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

I feel bad for spending 200 dollars... I have donated money to those who have contributed to this forum... I want to sincerely thank you guys for making it easy for us!!!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice find. I hope for each tune a portion of the fee is sent to all that are involved in making SD possible.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by laramie_05MR
Nice find. I hope for each tune a portion of the fee is sent to all that are involved in making SD possible.
Its not. As a matter of fact two posts asking that very same question were deleted FYI and so soon will this tread.

Apparently we can't share vendor maps for research but they can profit from our work.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If our posts are deleted, that's just BS! Seriously. If that's true, then maybe that is our hint to start our own forum.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
If our posts are deleted, that's just BS! Seriously. If that's true, then maybe that is our hint to start our own forum.
+1, we know the sponsors are what keeps this web forum profitable but the hard work of people like Tephra, MrFred, jcsbanks, and the various other master ECU guru's are what keeps people coming back again and again. Not everyone has the money to get a $2500+ EMS and the stuff the guys on this forum have done deserves some credit.

Josh
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Well hold on a second. All work done on the stock ecu has been through open source, which implies that there is no expectation of profit and that anyone can use it. It's all well and good that donations have been sent, but it was ultimately done for enthusiasts by enthusiasts.

If we were to follow your logic, Mitsubishi Motors should be getting a percentage of all donations and payments sent for the work done with ecuflash and evoscan, to include the tunes themselves, as to do this it requires modification of Mitsubishi's ecu coding which is in fact their intellectual property.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thebluesky
Well hold on a second. All work done on the stock ecu has been through open source, which implies that there is no expectation of profit and that anyone can use it. It's all well and good that donations have been sent, but it was ultimately done for enthusiasts by enthusiasts.

If we were to follow your logic, Mitsubishi Motors should be getting a percentage of all donations and payments sent for the work done with ecuflash and evoscan, to include the tunes themselves, as to do this it requires modification of Mitsubishi's ecu coding which is in fact their intellectual property.
Good point!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

I see no problem with trying to get SD conversions out in the open and more available for people who can't do it themselves but I also agree that some sort of gratitude should go to the guys who made this possible in the first place. It may be true that they did this just for the sheer enjoyment of doing it and helping out others but I was raised on common courtesy to at least give some sort of acknowledgement to these guys.

I stand neutral in this and wish the best of luck to both parties.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Macaroni
I see no problem with trying to get SD conversions out in the open and more available for people who can't do it themselves but I also agree that some sort of gratitude should go to the guys who made this possible in the first place. It may be true that they did this just for the sheer enjoyment of doing it and helping out others but I was raised on common courtesy to at least give some sort of acknowledgement to these guys.

I stand neutral in this and wish the best of luck to both parties.
Money aside, let me ask this. Do you, or anyone else, feel that this particular conversion/hack should in fact be named after them and would you consider that an adequate form of acknowledgment?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly I think it is up to them to decide that. If they would like to be known for this by having it named after them then to deny that would just be disrespectful in my eyes. But the fact that these guys really don't expect anything from us for doing their amazing work leads me to believe that they should receive some sort of recognition.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, there is a forum in my signature that would be happy to help.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AktiveMatrix is still there. It seems like the H8 guys are using GeekMapped, the Hayabusa guys are over at their forum, and pgmfi has been around forever. There's also EvoTech.

thebluesky, there's nothing legally wrong with what's being done, and I don't think anyone would argue that. What I would suggest, however, is that selling your "stock ECU speed density conversion package" without even a mention of who actually did the work that made it possible is a douchebag move.

Failing to mention that SD on the VIIIs still has a few rough edges was a nice touch, too. Eric, have you considered buying diiirk's SD solution to help get rid of that low-throttle issue we've been having? I'm sure he'll get that fixed right up for you.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic
What I would suggest, however, is that selling your "stock ECU speed density conversion package" without even a mention of who actually did the work that made it possible is a douchebag move.

In this point, we are in complete agreement.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by thebluesky

Not quite true. MMC owns the original code that shipped with the ECU and by that right they own the ability to go after anyone who reverse engineers the code. ECUFlash and EvoScan techinically make no such modifications to that code. All they really have done is reverse engineer a protocol which allows them to work. There is no reasonable law in a reasonable court that can stand up and prevent reverse engineering a protocol.

Now as applicable to the specific mods done by tephra, JCS, mrfred and all the others who have done so much work here you are reasonably correct (thanks to all the people here BTW ).

But this is ironically is the true weakness of joe schmoe open source. Nothing to stop someone from taking it and going off and monitezing it . And honestly it has helped a bunch of vendors on here who go about and advertise these features like they are their own to novice customers.

That's why I like what logic did with stuff. Put it under GPL. I expect soon we will see more and more of the standalone tools developeed on this forum using this and eventually stronger public licenses.

Quick Reply: stock ecu speed density from a vendor