Notices
ECU Flash

pro tune w/ your own switch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pro tune w/ your own switch

so i wanted to do my own tune but im a big noob on this so ive decided to get a pro tune so i dont f-up my car. and also it cost just abut as much as a wideband so ile just get the protune. but my tune guy wants another $100 to do the map switch with the ICS. I already have the openport 1.3 and ive saved my stock program twice. so if i got the pro tune could I save his tune then make my own mapswitch with his tune and my stock useing my ICS? how can I do this?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes.... after he flashes ur ecu upload the image to ur comp. read up on tephra 5.10 and 7 depends on what he uses you gonna need the xml the read the rom. there should be no reason why that guy is charging you for something tephra created and it as simple as changing a 0 to a 1!!!!! im actually angry that he really wants a 100bucks for that... unless hes sending it to tephra then do it you self. you should ask him that.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hediki12
yes.... after he flashes ur ecu upload the image to ur comp. read up on tephra 5.10 and 7 depends on what he uses you gonna need the xml the read the rom. there should be no reason why that guy is charging you for something tephra created and it as simple as changing a 0 to a 1!!!!! im actually angry that he really wants a 100bucks for that... unless hes sending it to tephra then do it you self. you should ask him that.
when i read from the ecu after his flash will that give me the "xml the read the rom" then i just put it in the tephra mod with a 1 and my stock as a 0?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
umm no xml are not on your ecu its in the ecuflash program... its a visual translator if you wanna call it that .... it alows you to see what cant be seen because of the code its writen in... i guess. but honestly putting on tephra 5.1 or 7 in you ecuflash xml library is very easy simple as copy and paste and just a few minor editing like endian *spelling?*. but ask you tuner simple questions act as if you are completely oblivious to what the ecu can do. ask him he this map switching thing how does it work ect.. tell him you read some were about a tepha guy doing it and just kinda give him praise for being able to code it and wrap his head around the whole concept of making it as easy as a flick of a switch for you to use then squeeze in so which tephra are you using .. just act as vague as you can so he doesn't feel too threatened that you can access this knowledge easily. lol. this is what i would do.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:33 PM

While I am all for supporting Tephra and his contributions, I find it a little silly you are "angry"someone is selling a full tune that includes his mods for $100. If the person doing the tuning knows what they are doing and is able to improve the function of the car and it's parts, their time is forth far more than $100. (People blindly pay thousands and sometimes get dissapointing results)

However if the person is only flashing the Tephra mods then it is kind of a bummer, and I see your point.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:16 PM
wip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jibber
While I am all for supporting Tephra and his contributions, I find it a little silly you are "angry"someone is selling a full tune that includes his mods for $100. If the person doing the tuning knows what they are doing and is able to improve the function of the car and it's parts, their time is forth far more than $100. (People blindly pay thousands and sometimes get dissapointing results)

However if the person is only flashing the Tephra mods then it is kind of a bummer, and I see your point.
I think you missed a word when you read it... It's not a full tune...

Originally Posted by adammartini
so i wanted to do my own tune but im a big noob on this so ive decided to get a pro tune so i dont f-up my car. and also it cost just abut as much as a wideband so ile just get the protune. but my tune guy wants another $100 to do the map switch with the ICS. I already have the openport 1.3 and ive saved my stock program twice. so if i got the pro tune could I save his tune then make my own mapswitch with his tune and my stock useing my ICS? how can I do this?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wip
It still takes time to copy everything over and get the correct settings. If you don't have a fully stock ROM where all they would need to copy is the immobilizer, then there is still alot of added work for someone who is on the clock. I can guarantee with the questions being asked here that it also means more support down the road that will probably be free and dealing with someone who is angry.

I'm not saying it's right, but I know that I'd be charging at least that if I wasn't offering my services for free.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wip
ya he wants $225 for the tune and $325 if i want to mapswitch. its a shop but they dont have a dyno, its just a road tune

so is there anything elce i need to get from my stock ecu before the tune? i got the read from ecu useing ecuflash and i saved that. is that all i need from the stock?

Last edited by adammartini; Nov 18, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
wip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
It still takes time to copy everything over and get the correct settings. If you don't have a fully stock ROM where all they would need to copy is the immobilizer, then there is still alot of added work for someone who is on the clock. I can guarantee with the questions being asked here that it also means more support down the road that will probably be free and dealing with someone who is angry.

I'm not saying it's right, but I know that I'd be charging at least that if I wasn't offering my services for free.
Sorry, I think you took my comment the wrong way, I was simply pointing out the 'another' part

As in, he isn't getting a full tune & map switching for $100.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Time is money. If one can do it himself, he'll save money. Of course that route is encouraged. In other cases, the owner feels its best to have someone of more knowledge do the job and hopefully do it right. To be honest, I've transferred roms over from tunes into v7 and it's time consuming. I don't see why a shop wouldn't charge for that. It would be easier to start a fresh map and tune from it from there.

In this case, it looks like its a tune with the option for alt map. If you really look at it, the alt map would be another tune. Really thats a great deal for someone who doesnt know much about tuning. He can set the alt map to a higher boost tune or for a different fuel type. $100 for a tune in the alt map is not that bad at all.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rdtech
Time is money. If one can do it himself, he'll save money. Of course that route is encouraged. In other cases, the owner feels its best to have someone of more knowledge do the job and hopefully do it right. To be honest, I've transferred roms over from tunes into v7 and it's time consuming. I don't see why a shop wouldn't charge for that. It would be easier to start a fresh map and tune from it from there.

In this case, it looks like its a tune with the option for alt map. If you really look at it, the alt map would be another tune. Really thats a great deal for someone who doesnt know much about tuning. He can set the alt map to a higher boost tune or for a different fuel type. $100 for a tune in the alt map is not that bad at all.
ya but i just want my alt map to be my stock flash if he had to make his own alt map on top of the tune he would prob charge $450
Old Nov 18, 2009, 05:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ya he wants $225 for the tune and $325 if i want to mapswitch. its a shop but they dont have a dyno, its just a road tune

so is there anything elce i need to get from my stock ecu before the tune? i got the read from ecu useing ecuflash and i saved that. is that all i need from the stock?
Just to be clear, I'm saying I think this is extremely reasonable.

All I'm saying is, if it isn't worth $100, then learn to do it yourself. Down the road the value will probably be far higher than that $100 you saved .
Old Nov 18, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

are you sure they arent charging the extra $100 for the additional tune for the second map? Otherwise, why would you need the map switching feature turned on in the first place?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Resi
are you sure they arent charging the extra $100 for the additional tune for the second map? Otherwise, why would you need the map switching feature turned on in the first place?
the car is a DD i dont want full boost on all the time i want a non performace for good gas witch stock would give me
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the car is a DD i dont want full boost on all the time i want a non performace for good gas witch stock would give me
Actually, the stock tune is normally ultra rich for safety, so you will probably get worse gas mileage with the stock tune than with the tuned map. For a DD map, you could get your tuner to just copy the tuned map to the base map, and then just limit boost and add a tiny bit of extra fuel for safety to the base map. I'm sure if you explain to your tuner exactly what you are aiming for, he could explain the best course of action.

Quick Reply: pro tune w/ your own switch