Notices
ECU Flash

ECU Flash and Scan Tools

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
ECU Flash and Scan Tools

Update:Hey again guys. Solved the initial issue, but now I have another. Initial issue was the hole in the UICP. Car idles, but runs slightly rich still. New issue, car backfires and hesitates from idle to acceleration down the road. Updated post over in the engine/drivetrain post that is located here --> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lp-please.html

Thanks again to all that helped, and hopefully you can give me some ideas about this new backfire issue.

Initial post:Hello all. I have recently had a very interesting issue. I spent most of the summer trying to tune my car. Had it for the most part stable, but then ran into some hardware issues. A few weeks ago found out that my Turbo was going out due to bearing failure. I took it to a shop to have them quickly R&R my 2004 stock turbo with a 2005 stock turbo. After they changed out the turbo, the car runs so rich that you can't even test drive it, for a little touch of the throttle and it dies. AFR's are at 10.

My question comes to the ECU tuning. The mechanic is trying to use a high end scan tool, blue and black, about the size of a reem of paper(don't know manufacturer) but I have seen them at several shops. When he plugs in to read any diognostics it comes up with jibberish. He can't read it. I am wondering why this is.

My stock ROM was the 96420011 which I changed over to the 94170015. I am running the Tephra V.6 at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Raceghost; Dec 17, 2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Just a thought:

Would any of the OBD II Trouble codes cause this. There are some tables in the 94170015 ROM that reflect towards OBD II and passing emissions. I am just at a loss why a scan tool will not read my ECU.

Again, any help would be awsome.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am curious if his scan tool was hooked up correctly. Some scan tools require multiple plugs and such.

Another thought, did you disable your immob? Might cause an issue.

It could also be that the Tephra mods are causing issues because you are not using stock parameters.

Are you still able to open, read, and flash yourself?

As for running differetly....Are you certain a vacuum line wasn't connected wrong, or simply not connected?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like an OTC Scanner....Have you changed the Baudrate from stock, that may be why he can't read it.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Here is my thread in the Engine/Turbo area --> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lp-please.html

I am curious if his scan tool was hooked up correctly. Some scan tools require multiple plugs and such.

Another thought, did you disable your immob? Might cause an issue.

It could also be that the Tephra mods are causing issues because you are not using stock parameters.

Are you still able to open, read, and flash yourself?

As for running differetly....Are you certain a vacuum line wasn't connected wrong, or simply not connected?
Appauldd, nice to here from you, I have seen you chasing some things with V7...hope you get them straightened out.

I looked at the thing, and it only has the OBD dongle on it, no power plug like our Tactrix.
Did not disable the immobilize that I know of... I copied it from the 96420011 rom over to the 94170015 rom 3-4 months ago...lol.
Yes I can read and write to the ECU. I checked that first, thinking the rom got dorked somehow, but nope, rom on ECU was the same as what I was flashing...
The Vacuum line was the second thought. I have the 3 port solenoid and I double checked the lines myself they look correct.

Sounds like an OTC Scanner....Have you changed the Baudrate from stock, that may be why he can't read it.
Not sure on the name or make, but about the baudrate? Is that something I would have changed or something he needs to change on the scan tool?

If it is something I do, then what and were?

The car is 160 miles from me now. I took it to the guy I have let work on all my vehicles thinking he could handle this one. Simple turbo swap...stock for stock, 9 bolts, 2 oil lines and some vacuum lines...lol. I will be going to look at it and possible reflash to the original map without the tephra mods, but with the adjustments needed for it to start with the 3 port. He owed me some labor swap, and in the economic times currently, can't let the money go to waste. I just didnt have the shop to do it or I would have done it myself.

Looking for any suggestions as to what to look for before I travel there in two days to try and load my stock map with few upgrades on timing and boost so it will start atleast, due to the 3 port, and I know that makes it hard. Thanks again for your help.

EDIT: Maybe I can get Tephra or one of the Guru's to chime in on the "Tephra Mods" and stock parameters. Maybe they know something about the effect it would have on a Scan Tool.

Last edited by Raceghost; Dec 14, 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Baudrate doesn't need to be changed from stock...Some people increase Baudrate 2 up to 62500 for faster logging. If it were changed though, I don't think it would communicate with the scanner.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Some people increase Baudrate 2 up to 62500 for faster logging.
Sorry, I'm confused, is this in ECU Flash, EVO Scan or on his tool.
I haven't seen the table in my rom or played with anything that I know of with the Baudrate. I did originally buy an email tune and lets just say I feel a little robbed from that. Guy wouldn't share tables or tell me what he changed originally in my ROM. Not sure if baudrate is one of them. If you could explain a little more, it would certainly help.

How is Farr West. You guys still dealing with all that slush and snow. I drove through there in my girl's car the other day on the freeway, and couldn't believe that only one lane on the freeway had been plowed...lol. Oh well. Thanks again for your help.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
Sorry, I'm confused, is this in ECU Flash, EVO Scan or on his tool.
I haven't seen the table in my rom or played with anything that I know of with the Baudrate. I did originally buy an email tune and lets just say I feel a little robbed from that. Guy wouldn't share tables or tell me what he changed originally in my ROM. Not sure if baudrate is one of them. If you could explain a little more, it would certainly help.

How is Farr West. You guys still dealing with all that slush and snow. I drove through there in my girl's car the other day on the freeway, and couldn't believe that only one lane on the freeway had been plowed...lol. Oh well. Thanks again for your help.
In the ROM you change teh baudrate to a higher one. You use ECUflash to do this. You dont have the tables cuz they have to be added to the .xml for your ROM.

Also, who did you email tune?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Also, who did you email tune?
Honestly I have tried to keep his name out of it, but more and more I am frustrated for he never finished it nor called me back after a month or so. Tamer from 4WS himself. Yes it seemed as though he did some great tunes for a lot of people, and that is why I chose him. Paid the full price for a tune, and training. Got little of both. Originally he had me boosting at 30 PSI, with a couple of hard boost cuts while trying to log for him. I realize the the boost cuts were my fault, pushing the envelope for logs, but then I wasn't sure what I was doing and this was in the beginning of tuning. After a while of the shenanigans, I started reading and asking questions on here and doing it myself.

Since then, like I said, I successfully switched from my stock rom over to the 94170015 rom.
Things were running smoothly though I really wanted it dialed in...
THis turbo swap should have been a no brainer and not screwed anything up that I can think of, but then I am not a mechanic.

I do not have the tables or added script in the 94170015.xml for the baudrate.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It has to be something mechanical....Did the check engine light come on ? ?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
In the ROM you change the baudrate to a higher one.
Changing MUT BaudRate will not effect OBD2, so a generic scanner will still work.

There is no reason ever change the OBD2 BaudRate.
(OBD2 protocol is built to be slow, increasing the BaudRate will have no effect)
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Forgot to tighten an intercooler hose?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

It has to be something mechanical....Did the check engine light come on ? ?
Yes, check engine light is on, that is why he wants to use his scan tool. I have EVO Scan but not sure exactly how to read codes if you can with it.

Forgot to tighten an intercooler hose?
This is what everyone is leaning towards. I left him a message to check all piping, turbo to throttle body. We will see what he says.

Thanks again all, more tommorow when I speak with him.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raceghost
Yes, check engine light is on, that is why he wants to use his scan tool. I have EVO Scan but not sure exactly how to read codes if you can with it.

This is what everyone is leaning towards. I left him a message to check all piping, turbo to throttle body. We will see what he says.

Thanks again all, more tommorow when I speak with him.
Evoscan reads codes real good. Conect your cable, open evoscan, turn key to ON, but dont start car, then press "display DTc" inteh lower right hand corner.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ceddy
Changing MUT BaudRate will not effect OBD2, so a generic scanner will still work.

There is no reason ever change the OBD2 BaudRate.
(OBD2 protocol is built to be slow, increasing the BaudRate will have no effect)
I never said that changing the MUT baudrate would or would not effect OBD2.

i just trying to explain more about baudrates to the OP.

Quick Reply: ECU Flash and Scan Tools