Notices
ECU Flash

Starting problems after injector scaling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting problems after injector scaling

I recently put on pte 780cc injectors. I scaled down the Cranking Enrichment IPW by .737 (513/696). But still the car doesn't always want to start right away. It just cranks and I stop, cranks again and maybe starts after 6-10 cranks if not more.

Is there anything else I should change?

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds lean. Shouldnt need to adjust any of the cranking enrichment stuff.

Latency and Scaling...60% of the time it works 100% of the time.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Latency and scaling looks good. Everything is within -+5%.

I will put the enrichment back and see if it helps. With regular ipw values the car did the same thing accept maybe a little less.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting, ive never had to mess with any of the Cranking Enrichment with 880 cc's and 1200 cc's.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is your problem cold starts, warm starts, or hot starts? Are you getting too much fuel or too little? An easy way to check is to hold the throttle half way open and crank again. If the car starts easier, then you're getting too much fuel.

It sounds like you are using the right tables, and if so, keep adjusting the temp range in which you are having the issue and add or take away fuel depending on what your issue is.

Seeing that 780s are pretty close to stock, it may simply need a latency adjustment. But you should be adjusting the other injector tables that do not scale with bigger injectors as you are doing. Many don't because they don't experience problems and/or cover it with latency and scaling, but the other injector tables do in fact need to be scaled based on the new injector size...otherwise you will be injecting that much more fuel.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Mar 10, 2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Start IPW Latency mcsec table is not entered with a " . " Just enter the value you have in your 14.06v latency.

Example.....
My 14.06 value is 0.792. So for the Start IPW table I put = 792. Notice there isn't a need for the decimal point.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I scaled them both to milliseconds so they are the same... Is that OK?
Attached Thumbnails Starting problems after injector scaling-inj-latency-srt.jpg  
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 95630706
I scaled them both to milliseconds so they are the same... Is that OK?
It should be fine, but i wouldn't recommend it.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Is your problem cold starts, warm starts, or hot starts? Are you getting too much fuel or too little? An easy way to check is to hold the throttle half way open and crank again. If the car starts easier, then you're getting too much fuel.

It sounds like you are using the right tables, and if so, keep adjusting the temp range in which you are having the issue and add or take away fuel depending on what your issue is.

Seeing that 780s are pretty close to stock, it may simply need a latency adjustment. But you should be adjusting the other injector tables that do not scale with bigger injectors as you are doing. Many don't because they don't experience problems and/or cover it with latency and scaling, but the other injector tables do in fact need to be scaled based on the new injector size...otherwise you will be injecting that much more fuel.
Problem is with Cold Starts. I will see about the lean/rich issue and get back to you. Last night I went back to my stock setting in the cranking IPW, and this morning the car started "better" still not like stock. I forgot what my coolant temp is like in the mornings, I will need to log it next time.

Last edited by xmaciek82x; Mar 10, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

See post #7 above.....he did what I am talking about. But he changed the scalings so they match. Currently all you need to do is was I said....make the value at the 14.06v level be input into the Start IPW table but without a decimal point.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
See post #7 above.....he did what I am talking about. But he changed the scalings so they match. Currently all you need to do is was I said....make the value at the 14.06v level be input into the Start IPW table but without a decimal point.
I was about to reply to you post. Sorry got side tracked. Why the heck I can't find Start IPW table? Is is under Fuel? All I see is Cranking IPW with has values in temperature.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

HMMMM I don't seem to have it in my 8859 xml either. I havn't tuned any 9s with bigger injectors yet so I never desired to look at this.

Maybe it is time for the Gurus to step in and fine this little gem for the IX guys.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
I was about to reply to you post. Sorry got side tracked. Why the heck I can't find Start IPW table? Is is under Fuel? All I see is Cranking IPW with has values in temperature.
that cranking ipw vs. coolant temps is the table you adjust......its actually a first pulse table, its what most adjust to get the starting right.

There are a few additional start-up tables as well - you need to see the advanced fuel thread by mrfred.

IMO - u probably can fix it by adjust that 1st pulse table u already have.

new IPW start values = stock scaling/new scaling * stock IPW value (from that table)

Last edited by travman; Mar 10, 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

^....The MAN !
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, just as an fyi, that 'start IPW msec' table that a few people are mentioning...mrfred has stated in the past that table isn't even called in the Evo8 and Evo9 roms.

I think sticking with the table that you are using will ultimately resolve the issue. I would recommend reading through and using all the defs for the tables that mrfred posted in the 'advanced fuel control' thread.

Quick Reply: Starting problems after injector scaling