Notices
ECU Flash

Danger associated with setting injector scaling too low?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Just think of a lawn mower running over the value so it wont grow any taller than the setting.

I already started a thread for this but from what I'm seeing I'd simply be amazed if the stock lancer ecu couldn't just straight up run an evo rom. I think the only consideration at this point is the wiring harness on the lancer has two pins swapped.

One of which just happens to be a pretty big deal. Pin 8 and 22 are swapped on the lancer and one of them happens to be the fuel pump relay. The other is the AC clutch.

I'm not sure what would happen exactly if someone tried this and I don't want you to brick the car for a test. We need someone that can do this as a test or just knows the answer if the lancer ecu can boot the evo rom. If it can it would mean you can just upload tephra's v7 rom into your car and use all the neat tuning bits we have available in the evo.

If that can not be done I don't see any reason the lancer couldn't be upgraded to use the v7 bits that tephra has in his rom.
I still had my stock ECU sitting in my car even though I swapped to an Evo ECU months back. So I decided it was worth testing out as a spare. I attempted to flash my 96420008 ROM onto my Lancer ECU. The ROM flashed without issue. I was even able to flash my 91890015 Lancer ROM back to my Lancer ECU afterwards. So then I re-flashed the 96420008 Evo ROM back to the ECU. So far, so good.

I tried to start her up and no dice. I still had the wires for pins 8 and 22 swapped for running the Evo ECU. I swapped pins 8 and 22 back to their original locations and voila - it runs. I'm sitting in my car right now with it idling on a 2003 Lancer OZ ECU w/ a 96420008 Evo ROM flashed into it. If someone had done this without my knowledge I wouldn't think anything was different with my car. It runs just like it does with the Evo ECU hooked up.

But that's as far as I'm gonna go. I'm still breaking in my built 4G94 and do not want to risk damaging it if the Lancer ECU chip isn't fast enough to respond to the 96420008 ROM. I'm gonna swap pins 8 and 22 back and continue to run an Evo ECU. If anyone knows if the SH4 chips in both ECUs are the same and have the same components this might save Lancer guys the hassle of purchasing an Evo ECU to run an Evo ROM.

So there you go guys - Evo ROM flashed into Lancer ECU....... DONE (Gordon Ramsay reference)

Pete T.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by senate6268
I still had my stock ECU sitting in my car even though I swapped to an Evo ECU months back. So I decided it was worth testing out as a spare. I attempted to flash my 96420008 ROM onto my Lancer ECU. The ROM flashed without issue. I was even able to flash my 91890015 Lancer ROM back to my Lancer ECU afterwards. So then I re-flashed the 96420008 Evo ROM back to the ECU. So far, so good.

I tried to start her up and no dice. I still had the wires for pins 8 and 22 swapped for running the Evo ECU. I swapped pins 8 and 22 back to their original locations and voila - it runs. I'm sitting in my car right now with it idling on a 2003 Lancer OZ ECU w/ a 96420008 Evo ROM flashed into it. If someone had done this without my knowledge I wouldn't think anything was different with my car. It runs just like it does with the Evo ECU hooked up.

But that's as far as I'm gonna go. I'm still breaking in my built 4G94 and do not want to risk damaging it if the Lancer ECU chip isn't fast enough to respond to the 96420008 ROM. I'm gonna swap pins 8 and 22 back and continue to run an Evo ECU. If anyone knows if the SH4 chips in both ECUs are the same and have the same components this might save Lancer guys the hassle of purchasing an Evo ECU to run an Evo ROM.

So there you go guys - Evo ROM flashed into Lancer ECU....... DONE (Gordon Ramsay reference)

Pete T.
AWESOME

Kick *** thanks for the testing so we now know you can just stick the tephra v7 rom into the ecu via flash and start tuning it. I will stop disassembly now if no one minds :P

Special notes:
Make sure to disable the immobilizer via the periphery bit in FAA. The current roms should them defined already. Set the immobilizer bit to 0 and see if the car runs
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow thats AWESOME!!!!!! Im going to try this too then that will be soo sick.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Wow thats AWESOME!!!!!! Im going to try this too then that will be soo sick.
If i may make a suggestion.

Try out the v7 tephra rom the 94170015 variant with the big maps it should give you lancer guys all the resolution you would ever need.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/use...-TephraMod.zip

To make the car start you will need to disable the immobilzer.

Go into the periphery bits at the bottom and look for the FAA one. Next set bit 3 to 0 it should be labled already as the immobilizer. The car should start and idle with that done
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Try out the v7 tephra rom the 94170015 variant with the big maps it should give you lancer guys all the resolution you would ever need.

Go into the periphery bits at the bottom and look for the FAA one. Next set bit 3 to 0 it should be labled already as the immobilizer. The car should start and idle with that done
The steps listed here in the Evo ECU swap for disabling the immobilizer can be applied after flashing an Evo ROM into a Lancer ECU:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...wap-works.html

I'd still like someone to check into the hardware specs of the Lancer ECU vs. Evo ECU to make sure there won't be any response issues before every Lancer owner out there starts flashing Evo ROMs onto their ECUs.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

ALready have a V7 setup from before
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

The steps listed here in the Evo ECU swap for disabling the immobilizer can be applied after flashing an Evo ROM into a Lancer ECU:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...wap-works.html

I'd still like someone to check into the hardware specs of the Lancer ECU vs. Evo ECU to make sure there won't be any response issues before every Lancer owner out there starts flashing Evo ROMs onto their ECUs.
Very true someones gotta know or know how to find out.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried it yet 03lances?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well I can't tell you for certain but the hardware itself disassembles in the exact same way as the evo meaning the ram address is the ram and the processor type itself is also the same.

Possible differences will be limited to speed of the chip, which i'm doubting honestly, and the amount of driver chips present on the board.

Does anyone have a pin out on these guys?

The only real difference I can foresee is the lack of the driver circuit for the wastegate solenoid which is pin 11 on the evo. If you guys know where that pin goes we can see if it has the solenoid circuit or not
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g94T
Have you tried it yet 03lances?
I have not the wife took my car to work lol. First chance I get though its going in
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
I have not the wife took my car to work lol. First chance I get though its going in
What rom you plan to try? The one i posted or one you have in mind?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Well I can't tell you for certain but the hardware itself disassembles in the exact same way as the evo meaning the ram address is the ram and the processor type itself is also the same.

Possible differences will be limited to speed of the chip, which i'm doubting honestly, and the amount of driver chips present on the board.

Does anyone have a pin out on these guys?

The only real difference I can foresee is the lack of the driver circuit for the wastegate solenoid which is pin 11 on the evo. If you guys know where that pin goes we can see if it has the solenoid circuit or not
I know the Lancer ECU runs an SH7052. I cannot remember what the Evo ECU comes with. There are datasheets here for the SH7052, SH7053 and SH7054:

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=135
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I know the Lancer ECU runs an SH7052. I cannot remember what the Evo ECU comes with. There are datasheets here for the SH7052, SH7053 and SH7054:

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=135
Thanks Here's a summary of the difference according to the data sheet.

MemorySH7052FSH7053FSH7054F
Flash memory256 kB256 kB384 kB
RAM12 kB16 kB16 kB

Checked the evo ecu and you wont believe this its ALSO a SH7052F as far as i can tell
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

The same one you posted except I got it awhile back so its already got the immobilzer disabled and a couple others that were mentioned there in senates evo ecu swap page. Although I have altered some maps since then so I will have to redo those no biggie though

Quick Reply: Danger associated with setting injector scaling too low?