Notices
ECU Flash

Logging AutoMeter Wideband O2 with EvoScan 2.6

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logging AutoMeter Wideband O2 with EvoScan 2.6

Just wanted to put this information out for anyone trying to log their AutoMeter Wideband O2 with EvoScan 2.6 (not sure on other versions) using the Rear O2 pin on the ECU. Sorry if this is a repeat thread but I searched forever trying to find this with no luck.

You will need ECU Flash to simulate the Rear O2 sensor to do this mod. There are several post about how to feed your wideband O2 analog (0-5v) output to the rear O2 pin at the ECU. I chose to cut the wire at the plug connector under the passanger seat and ran my out put wire from the gauge to this wire back to the ECU. On the AutoMeter gauges the analog output is the blue wire and on my 03 Evo VIII the wire to the ECU was an off white color.

The biggest problem I had was getting EvoScan to read what the gauge was reading. Come to find out that the AutoMeter analog output is only 0-4v not 0-5v. To get this to work properly and to have EvoScan read the correct AFR this is what I did.

Use WBO2 on EvoScan 2.6 (towards the bottom of the "Items to Data Log" list. This is set up to log a wide band and the formula is already wrote in under "Eval" you will have to change some of this data. Depending on what you have your range set at will determine what you will have to change. Lets go with the pre set ranges for simplicity. If you look under WBO2 under "eval" you will see the following: 10+(16-10)*x/255. In this formula 10 is your low setting, 16 is your high setting (if you are running a different range for low to high simply change these numbers with your set up) "x"is the voltage output of your wideband and the 255 is the bytes. Since the AutoMeter uses a 0-4v output instead of a 0-5v output if you leave 255 the same you will read 1 full AFR lower (leaner) than you are actually at. To compensate for this you must change 255 to 204 and EvoScan will show what your gauge is showing. So for another example if you have your low setting on you gauge set at 8 and you high setting set at 17 the formula would be: 8+(17-8)*x/204.

I know this works with the latest version of EcuFlash utilizing the rear O2 simulator and changing MUT12 to 8409 as well as using EvoScan 2.6. All other settings on EvoScan can remain the same.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Thanks, I was just looking for this info.. sounds a little complicated though, didn't know I was going to have to do any cutting or anything..

Are you basically saying you just set it up like any other wideband and change the formula in evoscan?

Last edited by kyoo; Sep 10, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by kyooch
Thanks, I was just looking for this info.. sounds a little complicated though, didn't know I was going to have to do any cutting or anything..

Are you basically saying you just set it up like any other wideband and change the formula in evoscan?
You will either have to splice into the O2 sensor wires as I did or you can pull the pin out at the ECU harness (explained in another thread) and run your output wire directly to the ECU harness (requires a new ECU pin to be installed)

Pretty much yes. It does instal like any other wideband you will have to change the formula as described. Another poster has contacted me on this and says by following what I did his is working perfectly as well. Hope this helps.

It is really not all that complicated. Sounds it but it is quite easy. I feel it easier to cut and tie into factory sensor wire as you are leaving ECU harness alone. If you remove the passenger side seat and center console it is pretty easy to get to. If I remember it is the white wire going to the ECU that you want to tie into ( just make sure you cut it and tape off the wire coming from sensor harness) Probably about 30mins worth of work. Also make sure you solder this connection good and use some heat shrink on the connection.

Last edited by warrusmc; Sep 11, 2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I dont think I can do anything that involves splicing or soldering lol

Does it matter that this is going to hook up to the o2 bung in the downpipe?

Last edited by kyoo; Sep 11, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:21 AM

Yeah I dont think I can do anything that involves splicing or soldering lol

Does it matter that this is going to hook up to the o2 bung in the downpipe?

No, the location of the O2 sensor has no bearing on this because the wire you will use to log with is the blue wire (if I remember correctly) coming from the gauge harness. This is an output from the gauge itself not from the O2 sensor. Just make sure you also use the output ground from the harness as well. If you are not comfortable with splicing into the wire then I would not even attempt to pull the pin from the ECU harness and insert a new one. That to me is much more difficult than splicing into a wire.. Just my .02 though.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I better find a shop that can do this for me lol

You wouldn't by chance have a step by step instruction on this would you?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:55 AM

I better find a shop that can do this for me lol

You wouldn't by chance have a step by step instruction on this would you?
No, but if you wanted and had some time I could probably come up with one.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:17 AM

Hi i am looking to do these but i have the autometer Nexus gage, so which wire do i have to use to conect into the ecu o2-2.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warrusmc
No, but if you wanted and had some time I could probably come up with one.
if it's not too much trouble.. i'm getting the gauge put in by a shop in a couple weeks, hopefully if i have instructions they could manage it pretty easily?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got it done! How do you get rid of the CEL?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got it done! How do you get rid of the CEL?
patch your rom or do the resistance mod on the rear heater wires
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gallas
patch your rom or do the resistance mod on the rear heater wires
this just gets rid of the cel from the o2, but if something else comes up a cel will still pop up right?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:52 AM

this just gets rid of the cel from the o2, but if something else comes up a cel will still pop up right?

Yes your CEL will still work if you do the mod. I am using Tephra Mods 02 simulator to fool the ECU into thinking the O2 is still getting good readings and have had no issues. Will still get CEL if there is an issue.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mexevo
Hi i am looking to do these but i have the autometer Nexus gage, so which wire do i have to use to conect into the ecu o2-2.
I want to know this too. How do you like your nexus gauges?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

yeah I'm looking into tephra right now - no idea what it is, i'm a total novice when it comes to anything like this

Quick Reply: Logging AutoMeter Wideband O2 with EvoScan 2.6