Notices
ECU Flash

What is Speed Density?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
very informative thread! Thanks for sharing the info Aaron.
Ive been considering making the swap to SD for a min. now... Just started reading up on it a lil, and I have a couple dumb questions...
Now when u say "I use the fuel temp sensor to mimic an IAT since its already in the car", does this need to be re-wired into the correct input of the ecu, or does it just need to be configured in the SD maps, and if so, does it come pre-configured???
I have a base map ready for initial testing, just not sure on that, and whether or not I can run SD w/ the current MAF/intake (Injen) on the car (unplugged) until I get another intake?

edit: 88590715 1715 rom
TIA
Its just changing an ADC address in the ROM...0x03 to 0x0E as I recall.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by E-Spec@Tach Motor Works
Great thread Aaron. Hopefully the information shared in this thread can clear up some misconceptions of SD tuning.
well you and I seem to get it done

Originally Posted by Sean@fftec
Anytime Aaron.

Hopefully we can actually meet sometime @ an event.
Of course...We were at the "West Coast Shootout" this year which was mostly a Honda meet it seemed but we try to get to Sac during winter to test before regular season as well.

Aaron
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB,
Is the fuel temp sensor scaling the same as the GM IAT sensor? Im wondering if the instructions in mrfred's MAT logging thread are applicable to using the fuel temp sensor, only without actually installing the sensor.

if not, can you share the scalings you use in evoscan and the big ecuflash table?

The lowest temp Im seeing is 68 deg (40 deg outside), even with a completely cold motor; using the settings in the MAT logging thread.

thx
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If using the fuel temp sensor, you shouldn't change the table at all as that table is the correct table for the fuel temp sensor.

Evoscan should just be the standard temperature equation used on the ECT channel? "x-40" for degree Celsius?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

edited...
found this
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...nsity-mat.html
So it really doesnt matter. But Im still not sure how to log the fuel temp sensor while not on SD. The scaling that comes with the SD ROM in the SD IAT Scaling table is correct for the fuel temp sensor.

Last edited by charlie.tunah; Apr 2, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you dont log the fuel temp sensor... its supposed to mimic actual intake air temps.. you should care more about making sure your MAP sensor ve calibration table is properly setup for your map sensor being used and then fine tune with the RPM VE.

some cars create a lean spot at around 2k which requires you to patch that area up .. i force the car in open loop and richen the area and it removes the issue entirely.

with the 3d ve maps by roadspike you can remove it as well with just the 3d rpm ve table he created.

SD is as easy to tune as a MAF is.. i was surprised actually, i expected it to be difficult.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

I understand that. I was just logging the data before making the switch to the 3d SD rom. And wanted to make sure it was scaled correctly and the data I was seeing is what JB (and others who use the fuel sensor) is used to seeing. Im still not 100% sure the data Im seeing from that sensor is correct. It stays between 75-85 deg F (40-50 outside) And somtimes up to 15 deg difference compared to MAF IAT. But the car runs surprisingly smooth in the driveway so far. For some reason my STFT stopped working and need to look it that now...(different issue) But now I know that the SD IAT Scaling (found in phenem and roadspike's roms) is not to be modified if using the fuel temp sensor and the MAT Scaling in the MAT section does not get used in the SD roms. When I switch to the GM IAT sensor, that SD IAT Scaling table will need to get changed. As long as all that sounds correct, I think Im on the right path.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:27 AM
Former Sponsor

i see. i use the fuel temp sensor also. i never cared to log it against the maf.

does it stay consistent with the outside temp tho? consistent as in the distance between each other? if so that should be good enough.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

As JB said, it appears to be an average. It doesnt change anywhere near as often as the MAF IAT. My MAF IAT had about 20 deg difference in the log Im looking at. The fuel temp "MAT" had about 3 deg difference. Fuel temp "MAT" temps rise under WOT as MAF IAT temps drop. Also once the switch to SD is made MAF IAT and MAT become the same in evoscan, right? So you cant compare.

But Im starting over from scratch today to try and aleviate my stft issue. Its quite possible I botched the MAT stuff, thinking it had to be patched in. Starting with a "stock" 3d ve rom and only putting my fuel/timing map in. Once the neighbors start russling around, Im going to try it out.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 03:08 AM
Former Sponsor

ya i would redownload and start with the regular table scalings .. sounds like to me you changed tables you didnt have to.

your stft was stuck at 0? did you confirm your o2 voltage is cycling like it should? also confirm the car is idling using fuel trim low also. if airflow is above about 43hz its usually using the fuel trim mid which is no good.

if all else fails put it in open loop at idle and force it to your afr of choice lol.

youll most likely need to lower the rpm ve at idle area to get it to lean out also.

have fun with it. i been teasing myself putting other peoples cars on it and not mine.. im waiting for weather to warm up here so i can get my car out of storage.. we just got snow 2 days ago lol!

you have a 2005? you might not even experience the jitter with your car.. some cars dont even get the jitter .. specifically 2005's.

you using the 9653 rom? that is what i would recommend to you
Old Apr 3, 2011, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Oddly, Ive had to ADD fuel at low load/rpm areas so far... SFTF was +20, WB ~17 and the car wasnt liking it. I made that change, now no stft. Im also removing the WB o2 sim patch, just hoping I can still log WB via the ECU w/ mut12.

Yeah we got 1' out of that storm. Still rocking the studs on the evo, so its all good. Ready for summer, though...

So to sum up and not be so OT...You didnt change any of the MAT/IAT scalings when using the fuel temp sensor? Do they need to be changed if you use a GM IAT sensor? It seems to me that the MAT scaling table in the MAT section is a different size than the SD IAT Scaling table in the SD section. Thats what confuses me, as all the GM IAT info leads back to mrfred's threads about his MAT patch with the MAT scaling in the MAT section.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 03:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by charlie.tunah
Oddly, Ive had to ADD fuel at low load/rpm areas so far... SFTF was +20, WB ~17 and the car wasnt liking it. I made that change, now no stft. Im also removing the WB o2 sim patch, just hoping I can still log WB via the ECU w/ mut12.

Yeah we got 1' out of that storm. Still rocking the studs on the evo, so its all good. Ready for summer, though...

So to sum up and not be so OT...You didnt change any of the MAT/IAT scalings when using the fuel temp sensor? Do they need to be changed if you use a GM IAT sensor? It seems to me that the MAT scaling table in the MAT section is a different size than the SD IAT Scaling table in the SD section. Thats what confuses me, as all the GM IAT info leads back to mrfred's threads about his MAT patch with the MAT scaling in the MAT section.
nope i didn't touch those. i never tuned a car with the GM IAT yet, but i don't believe so if you're using the SD v7 roms.

i have 2 cars here that had the GM IAT let me check the scaling and get back to you on my next post.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 04:07 AM
Former Sponsor

cross referenced 9417 on GM IAT and one on fuel temp sensor and both have identical MAT and SD MAT Scaling for IAT Scaling Tables

so just redownload, make your changes and you're good to go. let me know how the 3d MAPS work out for you with your spot you had to richen up prior. i havent used the 3d map yet, i use the 2d still since it works quite well. if the 3d map fully fixes that spot without having to touch open loop and fuel maps that will be awesome news.

you can pm me your findings if you want or post in here. whichever you decide to do.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:28 PM

I got a USDM EVO8 ecu MN132874_97140008 to try the Tehpra roms on my JDM EVO5, I got the car running with 96530706 rom (I hope this ROM is the right choice) and now I would like to start working on SD using the 96533706 since my car is a JDM EVO5 there is no map sensor but the IAT is on the AFM.

What would be my best straight forward option for a map sensor and IAT hook up as I will be getting rid of the MAF. Can I wire a external IAT to the AFM harness.

Anybody here selling the right IAT and MAP sensors

Regards,

Zakie
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
9653 is a universal rom off an evo that doesn't have a map sensor from the factory so you can just install the map sensor with no modifications to the rom and it will work.. you want an omnipower 4 bar map and just use the fuel temp as iat.. pointless tapping a sensor in after what was discovered by people of the accuracy of an existing sensor on the car.. requires no rewiring of anything.. just buy the map sensor .. plug and play.

Quick Reply: What is Speed Density?