Notices
ECU Flash

Lean at takeoff when COLD or A/C on

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lean at takeoff when COLD or A/C on

My car is not actually a Evo, but a 03 lancer using an evo turbo and the 94170715 ROM. When the car is warm, it runs fine, idles fine, and accels fine excet uphill with the A/C on during "takeoff". After it's moving, it goes uphill fine with the A/C on, it's just that initial take off where I see issues. When the car is cold, taking off from a stop, i go very lean unless I rev up much higher than I like to, and if I don't the car stalls. Here are some log pics, if you click that arrow next to my name to "view post".

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
I've got a custom 16g setup like most others here, running the 9417 ROM. I've also tried the 9653 tephra ROM, but here is the issue. When I start to go from a stop, if I'm slightly on a hill, or have the A/C on, if I don't "over-rev" the car from what I normally do, the RPM's will drop pretty fast, to an eventual "flub flub flub" Sound from the engine and producing no power.

My questions is, has anyone else seen this? Is it my timing map do you think? Here are some pics of log files that show it happening. 2 are cold, 1 is actually warm but with the A/C on going uphill. So, I notice it almost always when cold, but every so often when warm when it's uphill and the A/C is on. thoughts?

I know you guys are "Evo" tuners, so this issue may be easier for you to point out possible fixes on. The engine is entirely different, the MAF is different, and the injectors are different sizes. Many changes, can you recommend what settings could adjust the initial takeoff at higher load or when cold? (I realize it could be 2 separate issues, so lets focus on cold start)

I have "drop timing when cold" off, my timing map is pretty solid, compares to the stock lancer map at anything under 100 load, so I think that's fine. It's not terribly hard to deal with, once the car warms up...but I'd like it fixed for my sanity, as well as if the wife wants to drive the car somewhere.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

My car is not actually a Evo, but a 03 lancer using an evo turbo and the 94170715 ROM. When the car is warm, it runs fine, idles fine, and accels fine excet uphill with the A/C on during "takeoff". After it's moving, it goes uphill fine with the A/C on, it's just that initial take off where I see issues. When the car is cold, taking off from a stop, i go very lean unless I rev up much higher than I like to, and if I don't the car stalls. Here are some log pics, if you click that arrow next to my name to "view post".

I know you guys are "Evo" tuners, so this issue may be easier for you to point out possible fixes on. The engine is entirely different, the MAF is different, and the injectors are different sizes. Many changes, can you recommend what settings could adjust the initial takeoff at higher load or when cold? (I realize it could be 2 separate issues, so lets focus on cold start)

I have "drop timing when cold" off, my timing map is pretty solid, compares to the stock lancer map at anything under 100 load, so I think that's fine. It's not terribly hard to deal with, once the car warms up...but I'd like it fixed for my sanity, as well as if the wife wants to drive the car somewhere.
Are the injectors dialed in correctly? If yes, I would check your narrow band o2 sensor since that is what controls the air fuel ratio at low loads / cruising. You can also zero out the ignition timing retard map that deals with cold temperatures instead of disabling the periphery bit to see if that helps. Otherwise you need to wait for the car to warm up.

Last edited by bambooi; Mar 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bambooi
Are the injectors dialed in correctly? If yes, I would check your narrow band o2 sensor since that is what controls the air fuel ratio at low loads / cruising. You can also zero out the ignition timing retard map that deals with cold temperatures instead of disabling the periphery bit to see if that helps. Otherwise you need to wait for the car to warm up.
K, I do have the cold start timing zero'd, and the injectors look decent to me. Fuel trims are 1 and -3. I think the key might be in the Async TPS stuff, but I don't know exactly what to change.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Frak me, it was the idle stepper table
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Frak me, it was the idle stepper table
What was wrong with it?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golruss
What was wrong with it?
It didn't match my stock rom. I'm fighting a bit with the Evo MAF now, in getting it to idle just right. I think the idle stepper table, iscv values, and other things are all making it a little off. Still, point is the issue seemed to be resolved by the idle stepper table getting copied over from a stock rom.