Notices
ECU Flash

Need help with idle issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Unhappy Need help with idle issues

When braking & coming to almost a complete stop after a high rpm/load run, rpm would drop too low to around 500rpm causing the car to hesitate or even stall! Although, the stock 'desired idle RPM-Drive' is 703rpm. I tried increasing desired idle to 1000rpm to no avail, rpm still dropped to 500 after wots, stalling the car.
I realize that it could be either an electrical or a mechanical issue, but I'm not sure what it is! Is there a way to remedy it through the idle/ISCV tables?

Another issue I'm facing is cold starts, when cold, idle starts too high at around 2000rpm, although desired cold idle is 1400-1200rpm! I decreased desired idle in the table to 800 & it helped a bit, cold idle dropped below 2000, but still, it's never consistent.

The car is a JDM E8, 2.3L & BC 272 camshafts. The car has 1000cc denso injectors, but I had the same issues when stock injectors were on.

I'd really appreciate any tips, suggestions
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The desired idle speed table won't really help with the 2 issues you're having. The ISCV tables are what you're looking for.

The thread below should help. You'll need to check if these tables have been found for your rom id

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...sassembly.html
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by foxbat
When braking & coming to almost a complete stop after a high rpm/load run, rpm would drop too low to around 500rpm causing the car to hesitate or even stall! dropped to 500 after wots, stalling the car.Is there a way to remedy it through the idle/ISCV tables?
This is the same problem I have. If I drive normal and Im coasting and push the clutch in and let the idle drop its fine. If I put any kind of load on the motor and push the clutch in the idle drops and engine stalls. This is only in closed loop operation. When the car is warming up the car never stalls or even attempts to stall in this situation. Ill take at look at that link though Raptord.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
The desired idle speed table won't really help with the 2 issues you're having. The ISCV tables are what you're looking for.
Desired idle is under ISCV tables. Unfortunately, the ISCV definitions in the link are for a different rom version than mine! But what ISCV values you suggest I modify to attempt to fix my problem & I'll try to find their defs in case they arn't already defined?

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
This is the same problem I have. If I drive normal and Im coasting and push the clutch in and let the idle drop its fine. If I put any kind of load on the motor and push the clutch in the idle drops and engine stalls. This is only in closed loop operation. When the car is warming up the car never stalls or even attempts to stall in this situation. Ill take at look at that link though Raptord.
Were you able to solve it? I had a similar issue with another car & the problem was a faulty o2 sensor, but now it's a different issue.

Last edited by foxbat; Mar 17, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

No. Still working on it
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Are your closed loop AFR & fuel trims fine? I wonder if this issue is caused by the 272 cams?
Let me know if you find a solution, ISCV or else.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by foxbat
Are your closed loop AFR & fuel trims fine? I wonder if this issue is caused by the 272 cams?
Let me know if you find a solution, ISCV or else.
My low trim is at +6 and my mid is at -2. So not perfect. This is definitely from the cams. All my stalling issues started with my HKS 272 cams. I was able to fix it by bumping up the idle stepper tables but now I have GSC S2 cams and no this problem is back again. Bumping up my idle stepper table helped but only so much.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know a few guys that have this issue with stock cams, stock engine. Problem seems to stem from hard intake pipe from MAF to turbo and/or pod filter install. Fuel trims fine in all cases.

Interested to know exactly what ISCV tables to look for and how to modify them to solve it.

This is the perfect description of the problem:

If I drive normal and Im coasting and push the clutch in and let the idle drop its fine. If I put any kind of load on the motor and push the clutch in the idle drops and engine stalls. This is only in closed loop operation. When the car is warming up the car never stalls or even attempts to stall in this situation.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My low trim is at +6 and my mid is at -2. So not perfect. This is definitely from the cams. All my stalling issues started with my HKS 272 cams. I was able to fix it by bumping up the idle stepper tables but now I have GSC S2 cams and no this problem is back again. Bumping up my idle stepper table helped but only so much.
Did you try adding timing at idle to help with the bigger cams?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Did you try adding timing at idle to help with the bigger cams?
Yes its at 12-13.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about people with stock cams having this problem?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same problem for me. also running 272's and the main reason i started looking into ecuflash is to fix this problem.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Could you describe in details how you adjusted idle stepper tables when you had the 272s?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Bump!

Last edited by foxbat; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried a biss screw adjustment? I've heard of it working for some people. Plus its easy to do and it's easy to put back if it doesn't help. It's just opening up the biss a bit because it does get blocked up over time.

Quick Reply: Need help with idle issues